Where to buy carry-out burritos

51 posts in this topic

yes the main filling choices at condesa are superior, by far.

however I think the sauce choices are better at pure burrito and they fairly match what you'd find at chipotle (tomatillo, a hot enough red sauce, something fruity - mango?, vs mild to super hot at condesa of the strictly red variety) and they have some extra toppings (corn salad, fajita veg) you don't find at condesa that I recall.  I also recall that the last time I ate at condesa the beans were really gross - in the refried direction but dry and pasty, just...no!  pure burrito's beans are quite good - choice of black or pinto, but it will leave you sad if you want refried.  also the pure burrito lime-cilantro rice is a plus or fail, depending on what you like.

I don't think either are stellar, frankly, just different.  The only actually good Mexican food I've had since moving here was at more fancy sit down place near Viktualianmarkt that closed long ago.  The same people also had a fairly good taqueria at Isartor which is still there, but I don't think it is run by the original owners anymore.  I guess I should go see if it's still good?  It's called "la taqueria" and the plus points are enchiladas (allegedly with corn tortillas as it should be) and what appear to be passable nachos (not real mexican but scratch a particular kind of itch when done properly)

@lisa13 I don’t like the one by Isartor anymore. I liked it a few years ago, but I went a few months ago (after I first tried Condesa) and I don’t think I will go back. The only good thing is that they have tamales. 

Very true about the sauces. I never noticed that because I always just get the super hot sauce at both places. I don’t like retried beans and I’m not too fussy about the texture of the beans unless they are undercooked. The meat is the thing that I am picky about. I guess it matters what is most important to you.

There is a place that opened up in Ostbahnhof for burritos. I tried it last week. It was, um, interesting. They have an Indian curry rice or a red rice. I just wanted a chicken burrito and for some reason he automatically put on the Indian curry rice. I was in a rush to get to work, so I didn’t really pay attention. I got the standard beans etc. The curry flavor was interesting, but not when you are craving Mexican. The kidney beans were undercooked and I wound up picking them out because I didn’t want to get sick because kidney beans can do that. I went back a second time and got a burrito bowl and paid more attention and got the red rice and no beans. It was decent. Probably one of the better places at Ostbahnhof. I pass through there a few times a week going to work in the evening, so I need too get something OK. It’s worth a try if in the area. 

5 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

I don’t like the one by Isartor anymore.

that's what I am afraid of.  They changed hands - not sure when - and given how dismal most mexican is in Munich my hopes have been low about going back.  

what is the name of the burrito place at ostbahnhof?  any place that offers curried rice in "mexican" dishes goes on my avoid-at-all-costs list ;)

@klingklang77 totally unrelated but if you are in the ostbahnhof area regularly let me point you in the direction of the Cheesecake Witch (her words) located in the werksviertel container conglomerate.  The flavor range is a bit over the top but the texture is in the right direction for american style cheesecake ;)

6 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

that's what I am afraid of.  They changed hands - not sure when - and given how dismal most mexican is in Munich my hopes have been low about going back.  

what is the name of the burrito place at ostbahnhof?  any place that offers curried rice in "mexican" dishes goes on my avoid-at-all-costs list ;)

http://mishba.de/speisekarte.html at Ostbahnhof. 

Thanks for the cheesecake recommendation. I don’t eat a lot of cake, but maybe I’ll give that place a try. 

that place is all over the map, cuisine wise, but they have breakfast burritos!  I need to try that.  thanks for the link.

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

@klingklang77 totally unrelated but if you are in the ostbahnhof area regularly let me point you in the direction of the Cheesecake Witch (her words) located in the werksviertel container conglomerate.  The flavor range is a bit over the top but the texture is in the right direction for american style cheesecake ;)

Interesting : Thanks :-)

8 minutes ago, _only_bob_ said:

Interesting : Thanks :-)

there is a pure burrito in the same area (in the regular buildings - there's a kind of outdoor food court if you're not familiar with the werksviertel) so you could make it a double feature ;)

2 hours ago, lisa13 said:

that place is all over the map, cuisine wise, but they have breakfast burritos!  I need to try that.  thanks for the link.

I know! But it is interesting. Just need to pay attention to how they fill it. I’m sick of sandwiches and kebabs on offer at train stations, so this isn’t too bad. 

I LOLed at the cheesecake website. Gotta love the sign that says original NY cheesecake with a Canadian flag. I’m from NY, so I think I will give it a try this week. 

9 hours ago, malcolmpow said:

Crazy nates is pretty good, went there before for normal tacos and also the brunch thingy.

the normal is way better.

Never felt a desire to try their brunch. But I’m not a breakfast burrito girl. Give me their regular burritos any day though. And their tacos. Which reminds me I should pay them a visit :) 

15 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

http://mishba.de/speisekarte.html at Ostbahnhof. 

Thanks for the cheesecake recommendation. I don’t eat a lot of cake, but maybe I’ll give that place a try. 

We go to the mishba place sometimes because when you go to / come from the airport from the S3, there's about a 20 min wait guaranteed at Ostbahnhof, and if it's around lunch time, sorta works well.