International schools in Berlin

343 posts in this topic

They shouldn't fall behind. The curriculum is different in that the goals from the English National Curriculum are taught through topics that are relevant to the situation here (I don't work in Berlin but I have worked in the British school in Bonn doing the same thing). They will still look at things like Romans, Ancient Egypt and so on as that is in the curriculum (one problem with the English NC being so content-based). So this means that, as far as curriculum goals for their age groups, they should be on track.

Hi!

Can anyone offer a good private Motessori or Waldorf primary school in Berlin?

we are about to move to Berlin with our two daugters of 7 and 9 yrs. they don't speak either German nor English. Yet.

Thanks.

Coming in late in the conversation, but on time for my situation..Ok so in the end what is best for New York kids 6 and 9 moving to Berlin. everyone has so many different opinions, but that was in 2009...here we are 2011...Please help me....

Have a look at the Berlin British School website - new Head who has come from Sevenoaks School in the UK, which topped the UK independent school league tables. The best way to see a school is to take a tour and ask questions of the Head. They offer the International Bacclaureate which is a highly transportable qualification for global pupils. The school has entry from age 3-18. Good luck!

Things haven't changed that much. Try JFK if you want a free American-German education, try Nelson Mandela for a free international-German education (plenty of American parents want this for their kids).

Please help, there are so many good schools, and so many conflicting views. Moving to Berlin in Dec 2011, looking for a British education system for my 2 girls, age 5 and 8. Please comment on the following schools; Berlin International School, Berlin Brandenburg International School, Berlin British School and International School Villa Amalienhof in Spandau.

Thanks for all this info on school options.

I have a 13 year old, very little German language knowledge, entering year 7 or 8 this year. I want him to go enter a bilingual program. I have various irons in the schooling fire, but have been quite impressed with the response from Kant Internationale Private Schule. Any experience to share? (I'm not one for the Prada-purse toting sect either). Of course the name doesn't work too well in translation, but I think it adds to the appeal!!

Greetings. I have recently joined this community, and have greatly appreciated the resource you provide. Like others posting in this topic, I am trying to research schools in Berlin for my children. We live in Berkeley, CA, USA, and are moving to Berlin in about August of 2012 for just one year (a sabbatical and an adventure). We have two children; one who will be 8 and entering 3rd grade (in the US system) and one who will be 10 and entered 5th grade (both boys). Originally we thought we would just put them in German schools for the language immersion, but after having read many postings on this website, I have come to the conclusion that that is not a good idea. Neither speaks any German at all. I got the sense from my research that the German system will be very hard on my older kid, in particular, trying to come into a German school at the age of 10 with no German language skills. True? As such, it seems we need an international school, with English language instruction. This forum has been tremendously helpful to me thus far, but if anyone has additional comments, advice or recommendations for me, I would be most grateful. Specifically, do you recommend any particular international school in Berlin for kids who will arrive with no German language skills? Is it correct that the Nelson Mandela school requires entering students at my kids' age level to already speak some German? Are there any public international schools (other than JFK) that would accept kids with no German language skills? If we really want our kids to learn German, but do not want this experience to be too hard on them, are there any particular schools you would recommend? Thanks.

Check out Berlin Kids International http://berlin-kids-international.de/

It's private but pretty affordable. Whatever you do, I suggest moving on it quickly. There are very few spaces in bilingual or international schools. Your local German school might be your only choice. Depending on your neighborhood though, it might not be as bad an experience as you might think. Our local school is quite good.

Good luck!

There are 4 public bilingual schools - JFK, Charles Dickens, Quentin Blake, and Nelson Mandela. Look at all their websites and apply early. They can all be hard to get into if you don't apply early enough. This is our first year here in Germany with 3 kids and it's been hard enough to deal with the QBS school; I think an all German school for us would be much more difficult - in particular because my wife and I know very little German so communication with the school would be hard. Our kids knew zero German when they got here, and they are making decent progress.

Hi Mongkut,

I am curious to know if you made the move and which school did you select? Any tips feedback you can provide about how life has been will help us prepare for our move to Berlin in the Summer this year [Jun 2012].

I have a 5 y.o. child too who will turn 6 by the time he joins school for the new session starting in Sept.

Regards

Dear Kimcard,

We will move into Berlin at around the same time as you. If you decide on the school I'd be interested to know which one you chose and why.

Regards.

Considering a move for August 2012 from US with 2 children: 8 year old girl and 10 year old boy. Would anyone have a recommendation for an international school (no German language skills yet) that is capable of handling diagnosed mild ADHD - 10 year old boy, who also has been classified as "gifted" in the US system? Major issue is that he needs lecture to be sprinkled heavily with hands-on, project-based work.

I would be cautious about the public school system being able to handle kids with extra needs. While we're still new in Berlin, it's been made clear to us both through experience and from other parents that Berlin school funding is quite low, so they can barely handle the normal activities. Maybe other can chime in with more information about the private schools.

Hello,

Like many other posters on the board, we're also moving to Berlin this summer. We've got a 4 yr old and we're looking at Berlin Metropolitan School or Berlin British School. I've heard from some moms' with older children that BMS had teething problems a few years back, is this still the case? Any updated info would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

To Curiousmom, we moved to Berlin last summer and sent our kids to BBS. I'd be happy to share our experience with you privately if you want to PM me.

Alyssa

Hello,

I would be grateful for any reviews regarding Berlin Metropolitan School - we are thinking of enrolling our child there but cannot find any comments or hints. Would be great to hear someone's first-hand expirience with this school. Thanks!

Hi, Our kids go to Berlin Kids International School near Alexanderplatz and they love it. It's private but does not have the private touch and it's non-profit = cheaper. It's basically East-Berlins international (English-speaking) communities' school. So far they offer elementary up to 6th grade, but open their secondary school in July.

Hello all,

My family and me are planning to immigrate to Berlin. My wife and me have 2 children, 11 years old son and 4 yeas old daughter. We are Israelis by birth. My son has quite a good English though he naturally isn’t a native English speaker. He is best in his class (public Israeli school). I want to register him to a school in Berlin. Although he is not a native English speaker I would prefer to have him study in a bilingual international school, so he can develop high English language skills. There are 2 schools that I found interesting. Nelson Mandela and Charles Dickens schools. Although my son is Jewish and Israeli by birth, I would prefer to avoid registering him to a Jewish school, because I prefer to get him exposed into a variety of cultures instead of exposing him to what he already knows. I heard very good recommendations on these schools, and I can very much relate to their educational approaches. I would appreciate if you could help me in knowing what are the chances of being accepted despite of his non-native English ability. I would also appreciate your recommendations for these schools or other public schools in Berlin.