International schools in Berlin

342 posts in this topic

A friend of a friend who has kids at the Nelson Mandela told us that they used to have the fun activities in the afternoon. However due to some funding issues they now have to have regular classes in the late afternoon and that is why an early pick up is no longer possible... True or untrue? :o)

Thanks!

As I said I would do, I have checked up the situation at Nelson Mandela. As a state funded school, working under certain special conditions, they have classes and activities form 08:00 to 16:00 Monday to THursday, and Friday 08:12:30. So Monday to Thursday you normally pickup at 16:00, Friday any time form 12:30. They are not completely strict, but discourage early collection.

What the teacher told me is that in other schools, pickup is usually at 13:00 Monday to Friday. So parents usually have to make special arrangements for their kids in the afternoons.

I hope this clarifies things, and apologies for the slightly misleading information earlier. I think there is still lots of time for the kids to do extra-curricular activities a couple of evenings a week.

I just move my family to Berlin in April and we missed the enrollment at Nelson Mandela, our first choice. We are at JFK by default. There are not a lot of free options for bilingual (an English mother tongue with German also) in Berlin. We will do the first year at JFK and then try Mandela again.

Good luck on yours. We are enjoying living in Berlin very much.

Steve

We will do the first year at JFK and then try Mandela again.

I am not sure if that will work. At JFKS and NMS they told me that once you are at one of the bilingual schools (JFK, NMS, Quentin Blake, Charles Dickens) they don't let you change to one of the other ones because they do not want to compete with each other... But reality might be different...

So how do you like the JFKS?

FYI

There was an article in today's Tagesspiegel on the average scores of this year's Abi. The Berlin average was 2,5. The Nelson-Mandela was specifically mentioned as this was the first year the school had an Abi class - they scored an average of 2,1, a great result! John F Kennedy, although the score was not listed is in apparently the Spitzengruppe. It seems both schools are performing well, there was no mention of the performance of the private international schools.

We have been here temporarily in Berlin but our stay has just been extended for the next two years, so now I am concerned about school this fall. My oldest has just turned 5 and I wonder whether I should be trying to get her in JFKS foe entering class. Because we expect to be going back to the states within the next 4-5 years, I am very concerned about the late beginning of academics (just reading and writing here)- does anyone know whether the ec class at JFK actually has academics or is just playing and whether 1st grade could start at 5?

Hi Gail,

My daughter is 5 and won't be 6 until February but will be starting grade one at the Charles Dickens school this fall. They test the child beforehand and then make a recommendation as to if the child is "ready" to begin classes. Best to just go and inquire what the next step is. Generally, first class starts at 6 years of age, children with birthdays that fall in between (like my daughter) are accepted based on these tests. If your daughter just turned 5 then it might be too close and she will have to wait (I know how frustrating that is) for another year.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Quentin Blake School in Dahlem. It's international, yet part of the city public school system so the fees are minor in comparison to the Metropolitan School, it has good facilities and a good student to teacher ratio as well. There is also a good Waldorf school in the Kreuzberg area. My son is only 3 and we are going through the which-school-to-choose debate right now. I'm curious about your final decision, good luck.

Ok, now after several weeks I would like to post again.

We went with the JFKS. Our son is very happy there and so are we. It made the transition from the US to Germany much easier. The staff is great and so far nothing negative...

If anyone would need any info feel free to contact me.

Hi. my name is tom and i am in my last year of school at the berlin international school. i have been in this school for 2 years now and very happy with it. in comparison to other international schools i've been in, this is number 2, after frankurt international school. my brother is now in 3rd grade and he is doing very well there. my parents both agree that choosing BIS was over BBIS was the right one. furthermore, BIS offers the different programs of the International Baccalaureate Organisation, which offers international education of the highest degree.

i hope you will choose BIS and i promise that you won't regret your choice.

The website looks cool, although you can never learn from a website, what kind of school it is... What I find peculiar is that they don't mention what the tuition costs are. It reminds me of that old adage of not seeing prices in some designer stores or galleries because "if you'd asked how much it costs, it probably means that you can't afford it" (never mind the distance or educational approach, I can't afford the British School, for example... <--- and they actually publish their prices!)

I've heard a lot of good things about the Quentin Blake School in Dahlem.

Here is a link to Quentin Blake. It is a public school and there are no fees. On the website it says the school is "exceptionally multicultural"

www.quentin-blake-schule.cidsnet.de

Hiya,

I am a little bit surprised that Quentin-Blake wasn't mentioned that often in this discussion. I have a daughter there and I think this school is worth mentioning. It is a bilingual Europeschool which means staterunned and part of the Europeschool-scheme. I have to say that I am very pleased with the school. The teachers are very commited and nice people as well. There are quite a lot of after school activities and so on and so on. The classes are very multicultural and because the school is smaller than Nelson Mandela the atmosphere seems more like beeing part of a big family than beeing part of a big school. I can recommend that school to everybody.

I'm 13 and we moved to Berlin 3 years ago. I went to a public school there but I've been going to a waldolf school here. I really enjoy the waldolf school but as I'm very interested in writing I"m considering changing to a bilingual gymnasium. I've been looking at the schiller gymnasium and recently found out about the Nelson Mandela school. I've not yet visited either of them but from the websites alone I feel much more inclined towards the NMS. Does anyone know anything about the Schiller gymnasium

Highly recommend Nelson Mandela school! My son first went to a private school here and wasn't very happy there, now he goes to Nelson Mandela. It's been fantastic, we have been really happy with this school.

Thinking about international schools around Mitte - most I have heard of have been mentioned here - Phorms Mitte, Berlin Kids International (different from Berlin International), and Cosmopolitan and have also heard of Metropolitan School. Has anyone gone to the open houses or have kids here or heard of stuff when comparing these in this side of Berlin?

We went to Berlin Kids International open day last summer and there was one class with about 12 kids in it of mixed ages because it was quite new. The school was a bit rough and ready at the time but my wife has been recently for an interview with my daughter and her impression was that they've made good progress with help from the parents association. Our daughter has a place there from next September. We also visited the Metropolitan school which was obviously more established and came across as a good school though I wouldn't describe it as an international school but a German private school which teaches in English from a young age. Therefor Berlin Kids International school had a broader range of cultural and social backgrounds which we prefer.