International schools in Berlin

342 posts in this topic

We're moving to Berlin in February from Austin, TX.  We have a 2nd grader w/ 0 German at the moment. I've been checking out many of the international schools there, but don't have a sense of why some cost say 400EUR a month and others 700 for example. It doesn't seem by the thread here that there is a consensus on the best school to go to so would appreciate any advice. We'd like to eventually buy a place near Prenzlauer Berg so was looking at Berlin Bilingual School, but it doesn't seem many people are familiar with it based on this thread, so I'm thinking it may not be considered very good?  We were also checking out JFK, but it looks like the commute out there from Prenzlauer Berg/Weissensee seems pretty tough. Any advice on sorting through this mindfield would be great.  thanks!

On 5/22/2017, 2:21:36, suitcaseinberlin said:

Having read though all the posts, I would love some more recent feedback on the Berlin Bilingual School. We were offered spots for our two kids (incoming 4th and 6th grade) and have to decide soon.

Our (remote) impression of the school is very good (doing all the research from the US since we won't be moving until August), although I know they just moved to a new location and still are adjusting to it.

We are a bit torn still between this school and just sending them to regular public school (Homer-Grundschule in Prenzlauerberg). Thinking that Berlin Bilingual will certainly be a "softer landing" for the kids and my husband who will be stay-at-home dad and barely speaks any German...on the other hand, I am worried that the kids will learn German much slower if surrounded by English-speaking children and teachers. The kids speak and understand basic German but they are certainly not up to speed in terms of reading/writing and their grammar is quite spotty. My goal for this first year is to get my older one up to speed in order to ensure an easy transition to secondary school, which might be a public German school.

I'd like to hear experiences from both sides - those that sent their kids from a similar background to a bilingual school (and to Berlin Bilingual specifically), or those that picked the regular public school.

I know there are also NMS and JFK which we applied to as well, but after not getting any sign of hope from them we have now committed to an apartment in Prenzlauer Berg which would make the commute to either of those schools seem way too strenuous.

You are welcome to send a private message as well if you prefer.

Thanks!

Hi...I know this post is a couple of years old, but wondering what you decided regarding BBS?  Are your kids still there?  I ask because we'll be moving to Berlin in February and would like to eventually buy a place in Prenzlauer Berg so BBS makes most sense if the school is decent.  If you can share your experience, I'd be grateful thanks!