International schools in Berlin

340 posts in this topic

We r likely to move to Berlin by end of this year or early next year too, & thus start now to look for a good school for our 15-year-old daughter that currently attends grade 9 of ISGSE at an international school in Hanoi & will be at grade 10 by the time we move to Berlin. Berlin Metropolitan & Cosmopolitan seem most suitable for us in many ways, location, match of edu systems with the current school she is at, cost, etc., but we can not find any reviews of these two schools so I wonder if they are good or not. Looks like everybody is either with  JFK or Nelson Mandela as so much talk abt them, but so little about these 2 entities, which really surprised me. They are not small neither too new (one has 1100 students while the other has 700, which is quite a considerable size, both established in 2004). Can anyone help provide some feedback on these 2 schools, name Berlin Metropolitan & Berlin Cosmopolitan schools? They seem to be located almost in the same area & I wonder why don't they merge! :)

On 3/22/2018, 12:57:23, BulentK said:

Hi everybody,
we are a small family of three planning to relocate to Berlin.
I have a job offer from a company located in Potsdam and desperately seeking for the best schooling option for my 10 years old daughter.
She is attending 4th grade in our hometown in a private school which follows PYP/IB and her english skills are at A2 level (CEFR) and her Cambridge English Scale score is app. 130.
She is not a native german/english speaker, that makes us impossible to enrol to a bilingual school.
I have the opinion that putting her to german schooling system with zero german skills is not a good option because i don't want her to attend to a Hauptschule later.
We are even okay when she has to repeat 4th grade in Germany but still i think she will be not able to attend Realschule or Gymnasium with german skills earned only in one year.
There is a bi-lingual state school in Kreuzberg for native turkish children but i also do not prefer it.
I think all of my above mentioned opinions makes an international private school the one and only option for us.
I've been reading lots of information about international schools in Berlin.
I am now preparing a file which includes her academic and social improvement reports beginning from the 1st grade, her Cambridge Test results and a recommendation letter from her school translated in english/german. 
Both Berlin Metropolitan School and Berlin Cosmopolitan School seems to be a good option for us because of their fees calculated based on the gross income. 
I can not afford BIS, BBIS and Berlin British School.
Here are my questions and i'll be happy if you can guide me through
    What is the possibility to get rejected when we apply to Berlin Metropolitan School and Berlin Cosmopolitan School ?
    Can i ask to a private school to enrol her to 4th grade so she has one year to improve her english and maybe to learn german? 
    Does someone have any experience with Berlin Cosmopolitan School and Berlin Metropolitan School ?

As you can guess i am also not a native english speaker and i apologize for my mistakes.
Will be glad for your answers.
Thanks !    

I applied BMS early this year for my kid (pre-school), now just got the offer for starting in 2018 Aug

Feels easy and smooth. 

Because we live in Mitte, so only those 2 options for international schools. BMS has open place for pre-school, but BCS doesn't have for this year. So we chose BMS with no better choice.

On 3/31/2018, 9:22:23, Huong Nguyen said:

We r likely to move to Berlin by end of this year or early next year too, & thus start now to look for a good school for our 15-year-old daughter that currently attends grade 9 of ISGSE at an international school in Hanoi & will be at grade 10 by the time we move to Berlin. Berlin Metropolitan & Cosmopolitan seem most suitable for us in many ways, location, match of edu systems with the current school she is at, cost, etc., but we can not find any reviews of these two schools so I wonder if they are good or not. Looks like everybody is either with  JFK or Nelson Mandela as so much talk abt them, but so little about these 2 entities, which really surprised me. They are not small neither too new (one has 1100 students while the other has 700, which is quite a considerable size, both established in 2004). Can anyone help provide some feedback on these 2 schools, name Berlin Metropolitan & Berlin Cosmopolitan schools? They seem to be located almost in the same area & I wonder why don't they merge! :)

No review. I googled a lot and only google map has a few reviews but differ so much.

Guess most of English speakers are more mid-class so living in suburbs with fancy house and garden. :rolleyes: 

5 hours ago, Yuncao said:

No review. I googled a lot and only google map has a few reviews but differ so much.

Guess most of English speakers are more mid-class so living in suburbs with fancy house and garden. :rolleyes: 

No.

Most of the English speakers in Berlin have been here for longer.

This means their kids started at an earlier age in the German education system, meaning they were not tied in to fee-paying schools with English as the dominant language. So instead of paying up the money to a fee-paying international school, they enrolled their kids in one of the public bilingual schools, be that Charles Dickens, Quentin Blake, Nelson Mandela or JRK.

If they have been around in Berlin for longer, then a few years back both Metropolitan and Cosmopolitan Schools seemed a far worse option than the public bilingual schools. One looked to be facing bankruptcy, neither seemed to have a coherent vision of how the higher grades would be taught, who would be teaching them, where the classroom space for more classes would be coming from, etc. These issues seem to be resolved in the meantime (as far as I know), but it would explain why people who have been here for longer don't have experience with these two schools - the earlier problems meant that they enrolled their kids elsewhere.

Most English speakers I know with kids in bilingual or international schools are indeed middle class, but are living in an apartment, just like most other people in Berlin.

6 hours ago, Yuncao said:

Times change.   The middle class want urban centres with (crucially) very good schools and family amenities now.    Berlin's arguably got its "suburbs with fancy houses and garden" (although they may resent being seen as "suburbs") but hardly that many, the suburbs are often the colder spots in Germany.

Business cities, rich cities are where you find international schools.  They are 100% market driven, totally follow the money.    Berlin's economy is improving but it still a relatively low income / high welfare city, a net recipient of cash from places you will the international schools.   The above indication that one of them's bankrupt supports that.

On 6/19/2018, 2:44:21, anzu said:

No.

Most of the English speakers in Berlin have been here for longer.

This means their kids started at an earlier age in the German education system, meaning they were not tied in to fee-paying schools with English as the dominant language. So instead of paying up the money to a fee-paying international school, they enrolled their kids in one of the public bilingual schools, be that Charles Dickens, Quentin Blake, Nelson Mandela or JRK.

If they have been around in Berlin for longer, then a few years back both Metropolitan and Cosmopolitan Schools seemed a far worse option than the public bilingual schools. One looked to be facing bankruptcy, neither seemed to have a coherent vision of how the higher grades would be taught, who would be teaching them, where the classroom space for more classes would be coming from, etc. These issues seem to be resolved in the meantime (as far as I know), but it would explain why people who have been here for longer don't have experience with these two schools - the earlier problems meant that they enrolled their kids elsewhere.

Most English speakers I know with kids in bilingual or international schools are indeed middle class, but are living in an apartment, just like most other people in Berlin.

thank you for your valuable info. This helps a lot!

Hi,

I'm looking for some feedback on Berlin International School and NM. We are moving to Berlin next year and my daughter will be going into 9th grade. She doesn't speak German, so does it mean that NM is out of the question for her? Berlin International School seems to be an OK choice, but it's location is not ideal since we would like to live in Mitte. Also, what's up with NM's admission process? Their website says that they don't  accept applications until April. But are not all other schools open for applications in Fall and give your answer, and expect your commitment if you're accepted, by early March? Thank you in advance for your help!

Language requirements aside, unless you're a diplomat or on temporary assignment by your employer, your chances of getting into Mandela are close to zero.

JFKS takes monolingual students on a trial basis, but that's out in Zehlendorf. The commute from Mitte to Zehlendorf is entirely doable, however, as long as your home is close enough to an S-Bahn station.

I haven't heard anything current about BIS. A friend whose daughter graduated from there 5 years ago said things were turbulent at times, due largely to the high teacher churn.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, El Jeffo, for your reply. I had no idea that NM is so hard to get in! Thank you giving me a heads -up!

I was surprised how hard it is to find any recent posts about BIS-- if someone has any info to share, please do it here!

Our two children attend JFKS and love it.  In my opinion all of the bilingual schools are difficult to get into.  Our children didn't get into BIS nor NM but did at JFKS.  I have met many other US families who didn't get into JFKS but did one of the other two schools.  I really don't understand their admission process, to be honest.  Both of our children were also accepted at BBIS which I have heard is a nice school but very expensive and since it is located in Kleinmachnow, would be even further away form Mitte than Zehlendorf.  

One of the US families that didn't get into JFKS ended up at BIS and love it!  They started last year and are currently in 6th and 3rd grades.  Their mom is on her second year teaching 5th grade there and she has only positive things to say as a teacher and a parent.  I don't have personal experience but have heard good things currently about BIS. 

Hello all,

I need some advice, my daughter is 12 (going to 13 in Oct). She started school in a willkommenklasse January this year.

We just got a call that we have been accepted grade 6 Quetin blake (grade 6) for the next school year in August 2019.

One of the main reason we applied to Quetin blake is that someone said, we can get an easy entrance into NMS (is this really true?). 

Now we are torn whether to take her back to grade 6 in QS for a *guaranteed* chance in getting to NMS or she should just continue her willkommenklasse and possibly move to grade 7 in Feb 2020.

Your advice appreciated

29 minutes ago, lonedev said:

One of the main reason we applied to Quetin blake is that someone said, we can get an easy entrance into NMS (is this really true?).

No, children from QBS and CDS (Charles Dickens) normally go onto either Schiller Gymnasium or Peter Ustinov Oberschule as these schools are all part of the Staatlichen Europa-Schule Berlin.

37 minutes ago, lonedev said:

I don't know if this is true, but I have my doubts.   The partner Gymnasium for Quentin Blake and Charles Dickers is Schiller Gymnasium.   And for the kids who do not get the Gymnasium recommendation they can go to the other partner school which is Peter Ustinov, in which now they can as well do their Abitur.

However some parents transfer their kids from Schiller Gymnasium to NMS after the class 10 when they are more interested in the IB Program.   As far as I know, those kids are mostly welcomed in NMS.

But Schiller Gymnasium would be tough for a kid who didn't master German yet, because it seems they do not offer much support in those cases.

15 minutes ago, Krieg said:

But Schiller Gymnasium would be tough for a kid who didn't master German yet, because it seems they do not offer much support in those cases.

It would not be tough because quite simply they wouldn't make it past the doors without the Gymnasialempfehlung.

2 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

It would not be tough because quite simply they wouldn't make it past the doors without the Gymnasialempfehlung.

I think you could push your way in if you excel in the other subjects.

And actually I think Schiller has taken kids with zero German in the past but I am not sure if in the bilingual or in the German side.  

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

I think you could push your way in if you excel in the other subjects.

And actually I think Schiller has taken kids with zero German in the past but I am not sure if in the bilingual or in the German side.  

When we were at one of the information evenings last fall, a woman was there who was about to move from France and whose son she claimed was bilingual French/English, but spoke no German. She asked if her son could be accepted to Schiller, given that they also have some students who are bilingual French/German.

The answer (directly from the principal) was a clear no. To get into Schiller on the SESB side, you have to be bilingual German/English. English alone won't cut it, I'm afraid.

And as others have said, attending Quentin Blake (who is famous for illustrating Roald Dahl's books) does NOT guarantee admission to NMS. The only way to get into NMS is to be a diplomat or otherwise be classed as "highly mobile", or to lie convincingly enough to that end.

@lonedev: I'm sure your daughter will find the German-held courses at Quentin Blake challenging, to say the least, but it will probably be a better experience for her than a welcome class.

3 hours ago, lonedev said:

One of the main reason we applied to Quetin blake is that someone said, we can get an easy entrance into NMS (is this really true?). Now we are torn whether to take her back to grade 6 in QS for a *guaranteed* chance in getting to NMS or she should just continue her willkommenklasse and possibly move to grade 7 in Feb 2020.

Very few move across in my experience. NMS seems to take more from the Metropolitan school. 

Quentin Blake is a nice school from what i have heard. You can always try and move across when things start to thin out, at about the 6th or 7th class

3 hours ago, lonedev said:

I need some advice, my daughter is 12 (going to 13 in Oct). She started school in a willkommenklasse January this year.

We just got a call that we have been accepted grade 6 Quetin blake (grade 6) for the next school year in August 2019.

How well does she already speak German? Did she start learning before she got here? Or did she just start in January? Have you already arranged for private tutoring in the summer?

Just now, engelchen said:

How well does she already speak German?

I think she's currently in A1.2. Got moved to a higher last last month and the teacher said she only two more classes before she can move to the regular class.

The only issue is she can't hold a conversation yet. We do her assignments together and she can read fairly well a comprehension