International schools in Berlin

343 posts in this topic

I like how my question was "merged" but not my subject. lol

Merging is usually done to make it more likely you get a response, as the topic you are merged into may have answers already relevant to your question, and/or stimulate more people to engage.

Having said that, it can be very annoying, as the merge is done by the super gods of the forum, and not always the best thing to do - but to be fair, the gods are actually doing this to try to help.

I have 2 children who have been at Berlin British School for the past 4 years. They were 5 and 7 when they started there and have been very happy. The school has recently adopted the PYP program, previously the British Curriculum was followed. The class sizes are small – currently for each year group there are 2 classes of about 14 students each. My children have had lots of opportunities in art, music and sport, and the school offers many different options for after school and lunch time clubs. Approximately 50% of the students are German, the remainder are International. It is a small school, and a very happy and warm environment. The pastoral care is very good. The teachers seem to have a lot of opportunity for professional development, and are great! It has been perfect for my children, and I would recommend it!

We are an American family and have just arrived in Berlin, with a 4-year old daughter. My daughter has been accepted to the JFK Friendship Center (Kita) - we had applied in February when we were still in the States and received confirmation of the acceptance in April. We were delighted she got in and had planned to have her stay at JFKS for the 3-4 years we are here. Unfortunately, I have heard recently that JFKS will not teach German to kids that are in their English mother-language class until the 3rd grade, the year we will be leaving. This is disappointing because we would like our daughter to become fluent in German while we are here (and possibly have her continue with a German school when we go back to the States, if she so desires). Can someone confirm if this is the case?

I would like an international school that teaches both English and German equally so that the children will truly be bilingual in both languages. Are there schools that are geared towards teaching non-German kids to be truly bilingual in both languages?

We are living in the Zelendorf area. Thanks for any recommendations.

If you're arriving with a 4 year old and leaving after 3 or 4 years, why not simply put her in a local German-speaking Kita, then the local public school? (If you're in Zehlendorf, decent odds that the school won't be a bad one.) Your child will be very, very fluent in German, very quickly. There will of course be some adjustment and catching up when she returns to school in the US, but if she's hearing lots of English at home, and you possibly work on reading and writing a little, it shouldn't be a problem, particularly at such an early age.

The Berlin Cosmopolitan School in Mitte is a bilingual school (English and German. They also teach French and Spanish in from grade 5) and may have positions available in their primary and secondary school. They have improved a lot over recent years and have a comprehensive afterschool programme too. Here is their link http://www.cosmopolitanschool.de/berlin-cosmopolitan-school/browse/1.html or if you want, you can message me direct.

We are an American family that just moved here after living 5 years in Swizterland. Our two girls, aged 16 and 8 will be attending BBIS (Berlin Brandenburg International School). We have moved into Kleinmachnow and while school has not started but so far the outreach and support we have received from the school has been impressive. My youngest daughter has been at their summer camp for the last two weeks and has loved it.

BBIS teaches in English but the girls will also be taking German lessons 4 x week, so I expect then to pick it up quickly.

On another note, there IS something to having your daughter go into the local kindergarten, as we did with our 8 year old, who was 3 at the time we moved to Lugano. She picked up Italian rapidly and both girls are fluent in Italian after attending local schools in the native language.

Hi, we are thinking of sending our daughter (bilingual) to the NMS next year. Unfortunately, they don't do open days and some of the reviews on Toytown were not really positive.

Has anyone (your children) just started at the NMS or has kids that are still at primary school there.

I would love to get an objective point of view on the school. Thanks so much in advance. Hope someone reads this post.

Hello, need help. I'm fluent in German and live in Washington DC as single mom to two wonderful girls ages 12 and 9. Neither one of them speaks German. We are moving to Friedrichshain first week of October (I got a job - Yeah!). I want to put them in German School, but get the feeling that the Staatschulen doesn't want them or would rather not have them. I am on a budget, can't afford private school and even if I got them in, I think they would also take their dad's income to figure out what we would have to pay, and I can't pay that. I need advice and help please. I don't want to trek across Berlin for a school and would like to remain close to Friedrichshain.

1. Can they go to German School (grades 7 and 5) if they can't speak a lick of German?

2. Is there maybe an inexpensive private German school they could go to nearby Friedrichshain?

Any other suggestions or ideas that I haven't thought of would be very much appreciated. Kind regards.

... I need advice and help please. I don't want to trek across Berlin for a school and would like to remain close to Friedrichshain.

1. Can they go to German School (grades 7 and 5) if they can't speak a lick of German?

2. Is there maybe an inexpensive private German school they could go to nearby Friedrichshain?

Any other suggestions or ideas that I haven't thought of would be very much appreciated. Kind regards.

http://berlin-bilingual-school.de/

Hi all

I'm new on here, live in the UK, husband has new job in Berlin, we are an English speaking family with no German at present - I need some advice about Nelson Mandela School please?

Does anyone know anything about the entrance test (for older children, aged 13 and 15)?

Anyone have any experience of older children being admitted to the school?

Cheers.

Hi, I am moving back to Berlin with my three children in January 2015. Two are in secondary school and one will start first grade. The kids speak English, German (not great) and spanish. I am looking at NMS, BIS, Berlin Metropolitan and Berlin Cosmopolitan schools. Can anyone give me any kind of feedback to those schools? Thank you in advance!

Please SEARCH and READ the information in the threads and carefully reading the school pages before asking for information. Many of the recent requests for information can be answered in those ways. There is a lot of information here and out on the internet. If you can't find the information then ask having informed yourself. Otherwise there is the danger that people won't bother to reply to you if it is the same question that has been asked 15 times.

Hi there - I can assure you, (just in case you are referring to my post above? as you are not specific) that I have searched and searched over and over in the search facility on this website/forum in many combinations of words and cannot find any information at all regarding the entrance tests for the Nelson Mandela school for older children - yes - English LANGUAGE test for younger (primary) aged children but not the English Maths and Biology entrance test for older children.

Actually I posted because there have been a number of requests recently that could be answered through looking here but also at the websites of the schools as I said above. Some of the recent requests appear to want to have an individual general answer served to them about the various schools when the info has often been answered before. Lots of the information is online.

You requested specific info about entrance exam information and have received no help as yet. This is a school specific thing I would expect to find on the school website. So I looked there for you, as I urged people to do for themselves. No information about the exams at all? Are you sure? Maybe not much here on Toytown but there sure is a lot on the school site and the linked berlin.de site.

http://www.sisberlin.de/images/stories/forms/nms_anmeldung_7-10_entrance_exam.pdf

http://www.berlin.de/sen/bildung/unterricht/lehrplaene/index.html

http://www.sisberlin.de/de/sekundarschule-7-10/faecher.html

http://www.berlin.de/imperia/md/content/sen-bildung/schulorganisation/lehrplaene/sek1_biologie.pdf?start&ts=1406800774&file=sek1_biologie.pdf

http://www.sisberlin.de/images/stories/curriculum/rahmenlehrplan_biologie_sekundarstufe_I_en.pdf

http://www.berlin.de/imperia/md/content/sen-bildung/schulorganisation/lehrplaene/sek1_mathematik.pdf?start&ts=1406800774&file=sek1_mathematik.pdf

http://www.sisberlin.de/images/stories/curriculum/sec_math_year_7_2011-2012.pdf This link is less helpful for you.

There is some very good information there. I have no idea how many kids pass the test. The curriculum is a mixture of the British and German systems so you have to decide how far your kids are and how they relate to it. I don't know anything else about the exams or know anyone whose kid joined the school late. Maybe someone else can tell you something but most kids progress up through the school so the chances are a little low.

Thank you very much for your help Black1! :)

The information you linked is fantastic! :)

I had searched and searched through the NMS website as well as on this forum along with general Google searches but found nothing. There is no information on the NMS website currently regarding the English Maths and Biology test, looks like possibly your very helpful first link could be an 'old' page from NMS? Either way, it was helpful to us.

Once again, thank you for taking the trouble to look at this for me, it is very much appreciated :)

You are welcome.

However I am left somewhat puzzled and frustrated by your reply.

'There is no information on the NMS website currently regarding the English Maths and Biology test'. Sigh... That is simply wrong. You still think that? Google will not show you everything in life; it is a way of searching that will often not retrieve the information you need. There are loads of things that Google can't, won't or is not allowed to retrieve. Sometimes you need to click down through the options on a webpage. It just takes a little work. If this matter is so important to you then you need to do it. Especially if people repeatedly tell you to look and even give you the information.

I will try one more time. I don't know why, most people here wouldn't bother. I guess I just want you to understand that there is plenty of information there.

The information I gave you is current and on the page.

Go to http://www.sisberlin.de/

Look at the options, don't just do a search. There are several likely candidates here, e.g. secondary year 7-10. It quickly becomes clear that is not so helpful for your specific needs. So click on the options some more.

About NMS looks good. Then the option Admissions looks very good.

http://www.sisberlin.de/en/about-nms/admissions.html

Again there are many options here which you can look at. There is an option •The Entrance Exam Years 7-10 right there. Looks perfect.

Click on that. http://www.sisberlin.de/images/stories/forms/nms_anmeldung_7-10_entrance_exam.pdf

There it is. Lots of information to start making some fast choices. Then you hope someone will reply to your post and tell you about their kid and their experience with the exam. If they come here and if they want to talk about it. Most of the school websites contain a lot of valuable information. This site does too. Not everything, but a lot.

Thank you once again Black1 - I'm pleased to report I am NOT going crazy LOL :lol:

You see, both my husband and I searched the NMS website thoroughly at the start of October and could not find any information at all on the entrance test for grades 7-10.

Also my husband's future employer in Germany searched as did hubby's recruitment agent similarly without any success. That is why I was so adamant and confident in my last post that we couldn't find the info on their page.

However, puzzled by your ability to easily find the link to the test info , with a somewhat red face, I looked again on the NMS site and hey presto there it was, just as you said!

I then remembered I happened to screen dump some pages from NMS website to send to hubby by email back then, - and luckily I find I have the admissions page stored - dated 2nd October! (I could attach the screendump if I knew how to, to prove my defence! haha :lol: )

It appears the website has undergone recent changes and a link to the test info has been added since!

If I hadn't posted here and you hadn't taken the time to help, I would still be unaware that they have added extra pages recently - so thanks once again for your help :)

You are welcome. Nice that you have a screen dump, that's more like it, good solid research and hard facts. I'm glad we both are satisfied with our and each other's points. Good luck with the exam.