Licenses for driving motorbikes or mopeds

41 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Krieg said:

a new category called B196 and it is an extension for the car drivers license that give you access to 125cc motorbikes.

Other than the engine capacity are there any other restrictions e.g. speed, pillion passenger on the bike?

1 minute ago, keith2011 said:

Other than the engine capacity are there any other restrictions e.g. speed, pillion passenger on the bike?

You must be 25, car license at least 5 years, maximum 11kw (15 PS) and 125cc, and it is only valid in Germany.   There is no speed limit because 125cc four strokes can't really go that fast, they will go 90 - 120 km/h max.  

35 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

perhaps the biggest restriction is that it's only valid inside Germany - and you can't "work your way up" from this B196 to any "real" MC license.

So, if that was me, I'd just invest a bit more time and money to get the full class A motorcycle license. That gives you total flexibility for what kind of 2-wheeler you want to ride later. If smaller bike would be your choice because of the green convenience aspects of it, you buy that. If you'd like to go on tour in the summer, you get a nice comfortable BMW. Or, if you are an old lady like me, the HONDA Shadow Aero will be your weapon of choice :)

10 minutes ago, karin_brenig said:

perhaps the biggest restriction is that it's only valid inside Germany - and you can't "work your way up" from this B196 to any "real" MC license.

48 minutes ago, Krieg said:

You must be 25, car license at least 5 years, maximum 11kw (15 PS) and 125cc, and it is only valid in Germany.   There is no speed limit because 125cc four strokes can't really go that fast, they will go 90 - 120 km/h max.  

Thanks for that I was really only interested for my wife I already had a full motorcycle licence from the UK in the days when it was much easier, I learnt with L plates on a 650 BSA motorbike and sidecar which was great because unlike a solo (max. 250CC at that time) you were allowed to take passengers, though I borrowed my mates 150 CC BSA Bantam to take the test, easier than with a sidecar, it seized up on the way home, never told him as it started up again when it cooled down.;)

56 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Thanks for that I was really only interested for my wife....

same advice for your wife - get the real license, then buy whatever MC you want - happy riding :)

BTW, I never take passengers on my bike, too much responsibility - and if the passenger isn't experienced, they can get you into trouble around the corners.

3 hours ago, Krieg said:

If you want something fast and easy last year they created a new category called B196 and it is an extension for the car drivers license that give you access to 125cc motorbikes.  You only have to do a seminar and 6 hours or practice at the driving school, total cost around 500-600 EUR. No tests. Bring the cert from the seminar and practice hours to your Bürgeramt and that's it.   Because of this new category the market of 125cc bikes is thriving, including a cute Kawasaki Ninja 125cc, Beta 125RR, and a gazillion more.

For the "real" license you will have to do the whole thing, costs 1500-3000 EUR and it takes several months.

Which explains why 125cc I see everwhere and a 250cc hardly at all. It was actually a 250 Ninja I was after. So maybe I will just get the 125 version. Thanks! 

9 hours ago, karin_brenig said:

So having a moped (AM) or B196 license gains you zero in terms of getting A1, A2 or A?

Seems somewhat harsh as I would guess there is at least some basic element covered in either the AM or B196 training.

11 minutes ago, scook17 said:

So having a moped (AM) or B196 license gains you zero in terms of getting A1, A2 or A?

The B196 gets you A1 because A1 = 125cc. Is that right? And surely having got the A1 it's then valid everywhere that recognises it.

I have the A licence anyway. Back in 1990 I was riding around on my 125 with L-plates because of having a car licence. In 1991 I started doing the training towards getting the full bike licence, but because the new rules had come in the first thing I had to do was the CBT; the CBT that you had to do before going on the road even thoughI'd riding on the road every day for the previous 7 or 8 months.

I don't think so because the EU requires certain minimum standards of testing to apply to the harmonised licencing categories, including a practical driving test aspect.

Germany is free to issue these internal only licences based on a lower threshold of competency but they are not valid outside the country. It's similar to how an Irish provisional licence is only valid in Ireland. 

Yes - the first thing that came up in Google suggested you did just get A1 in your licence, but now I've looked a bit further and that isn't true.

12 hours ago, scook17 said:

Seems somewhat harsh as I would guess there is at least some basic element covered in either the AM or B196 training.

The B196 does not help to advance in getting any A license.  It is still the cheapest, easiest and fastest way to ride a 125cc in Germany if you fulfill the requirements.  The classes can be done in one or two weeks and the only delay is your local Bürgeramt.

All this talk is making me think about picking up an old VFR again. Been a long while since I was on two wheels!

B196, that is a bit confusing, that is also the name of the Bundesstrasse from Bergen to Goehren/Ruegen 😉

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

All this talk is making me think about picking up an old VFR again. Been a long while since I was on two wheels!

I had a VFR750 RC36/II. Best motorcycle I ever owned!

Same. Had two of 'em. Completely over-engineered by Honda in a bid to regain consumer confidence after the VF750 fiasco. And that it did. Absolutely bulletproof bike. Still looks good too IMO.

6 hours ago, murphaph said:

Same. Had two of 'em. Completely over-engineered by Honda in a bid to regain consumer confidence after the VF750 fiasco. And that it did. Absolutely bulletproof bike. Still looks good too IMO.

I had a VT250 and then a VF500, both of which were great bikes but I think the sales of the latter in particular suffered by association with the 750. The VFR had cogs driving the camshafts to solve the issues (which were solved already in reality) - am I remembering that right?

Exactly. They got rid of the chain driven camshafts and replaced with gears. They reverted back to chains for the VFR800 soon after it was released IIRC as the reputation rescue job had been a success and they no longer needed to effectively waste money on such OTT engineering.

21 hours ago, murphaph said:

The first VFR750 came out in '85, so when the  VFR750 RC36/II was released Honda had put almost 10 years of R&D into the bike and the engine was indeed bullet-proof. Also so versatile and comfortable. I remember many moons ago riding from Nice to Stuttgart over the Alps in one day. Never felt cramped the whole time and got off the bike in the evening as fresh as a daisy. Ah, the memories!:D 

I remember taking my CBR 600 ( race bike ) from the Mont Blanc, to Munich years ago, through the alps, no autobahn, was was very knacked at Munich. 

I bought my VFRs (and my TDM 850) in the north of England and rode them back to Dublin via Holyhead. Used bikes in Ireland were mostly scrap then as there was no NCT (TÜV) requirement for them. Still think that's the same today. It was cheaper to buy a much better bike in England, including the air fare to Manchester and the onward train fare to Sheffield etc. I am not sure if boarding a plane with a crash helmet, motorbike chain and padlock and dressed in biker gear would be allowed in the post 9/11 world lol. People must have thought I had a few screws loose.

I think I was a bit naughty on the first one. I hadn't yet reached the 2 year anniversary of passing my test so I was still legally restricted to bikes under a certain horsepower and the bike wasn't restricted. I stopped for a breather on the hard shoulder of the A55 and about 10 seconds later North Wales Police pulled up behind me. The guy didn't even get out, just asked me for a thumbs up to see if I was alright or needed help. I gave him a thumbs up and off he went...as did I quite promptly! Nothing like blasting through the tunnels at Conwy on a VFR. What a sound. Ironically the seller of that first bike was...a copper.