Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Nice towns around Erlangen

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am new to this forum and have a question. My family is moving to Erlangen on July 1st. We are looking online at places to live (welt.de). I was wondering if anyone could tell me which of the listed places in and around Erlangen would be good for a family--kids 2 and 5. Our main preferences are safe, green, and NICE. We know nothing about the city and would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

Rottenbach

Kalchreuth

Tennenlohe

Eltersdorf

Spardorf

Marloffstein

Uttenreuth

Buckenhof

Burgberg

Bubenreuth

Alterlangen

Buchenbach

Dechsendorf

Hello,

I am new to this forum and have a question. My family is moving to Erlangen on July 1st. We are looking online at places to live (welt.de). I was wondering if anyone could tell me which of the listed places in and around Erlangen would be good for a family--kids 2 and 5. Our main preferences are safe, green, and NICE. We know nothing about the city and would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

Almost any of the places you mention have their plus points, with some it will be a question of how much money you want to spend. As a general rule Tennenlohe is perhaps not the best of the places you mention, Alterlangen and Buchenbach are perhaps a bit too staid, Kalchreuth is a nice but very chocolate-boxy, I dont know If id want to live there. Lots of nice new houses and young families in Dechsendorf.

In Bubenreuth you have to be careful where exactly the place youre interested in is - I looked at a semi-detached place there that looked cheap - It turned out to have a 4m high wall at the end of the garden. beyond which was both the A73 Motorway and the ICE rail track. It would have had a swimmimng pool in the basement though ;-)

andy M

I've a couple of friends who live at Frankische-Schweiz (Franconian Switzerland) and work at Erlangen. Its like staying in the country side and working in a city. Frankische-Schweiz is good and not disturbed by any sort of tourism (maybe a bit) or any other things. It indeed has lot of castles and the Castles-Road (from Mannheim to Prague) passes somewehere through this region. But its not so comfortable if you dont have a car and a couple of friends.

And regarding Erlangen, it has many good areas surrounding the main part of the city (as you listed) and you could find something out of that. Being a university city and siemens headquarters (and a couple of other firms), its not so cheap in the main parts of the city. Good luck in finding the house. :)

Also, Nuremberg-Erlangen-Fürth is almost like one city (or triplet-cities close to each other).

Thank you so much--Andy M and fRe4k. Your replies were very helpful.

Am I looking at the best online resource for housing--Welt.de?

I couldn't find too much available in Dechsendorf. I will keep looking there. Do you mean (by chocolate-boxy) too much variety?

Thanks again so much. I will check out Frankische-Schweiz as it sounds very interesting.

Frankische-Schweiz is indeed unspoilt and untouched by outsiders and you can see typical German (or Franconian) stuff there.

Also, for searching the house, it would be helpful for you, if you do comprehend a bit of German/Deutsch. And use 'google.de' for searching your stuff, as you can find much more than the usual way of searching through google.com. Some sites that I know are 'immowelt.de' and 'immoscout24.de'. Also scour the TT forums for more info. Viel Glück! :)

Look in the north part of Nuremberg also for good life style etc. I Live in the Knoblauchsland 1/2 way between Nuremberg and Erlangen (where i work) and it is a family friendly area with the added advantage of living in the middle of the market gardens that supply lots of the vegetables for the surrounding areas.

Nuremberg also is less expensive than Erlangen due to the previously stated reasons of University and Siemens driving up rentals in Erlangen.

Another alternative is Herzogenauarach and surrounds. Although there is Addidas and Puma in the area the rents are more reasonable and there is a large expat community. The Franconian international school however is moving to Erlangen but they have a good bus service that covers all of the surrounding areas.

Balk

I Live in the Knoblauchsland

Does that mean, it stinks(knoblauch) all over the place there ?!?! :rolleyes:

Knoblauchsland:

This agricultural area in the high north of the city is fondly described as Nuremberg's Vegetable Garden in local jargon. Recent years have seen numerous businesses move into the area, but despite this trend villages such as Kraftshof and Almoshof have managed to retain their small-scale structures and vegetables such as cabbage, carrots and kohlrabi are still being planted here. During the week, farmers from the Knoblauchsland, which actually means Garlic Land, sell their produce on the Hauptmarkt, and during the asparagus season, everyone tries to get their hands on some fresh white asparagus from the region. One of the most popular attractions in the area is the former patrician castle Neunhofer Schlößchen, and the Irrhain, a sort of maze belonging to the Pegnesian Order of Flowers (a literary society) is also very attractive. For people living in Nuremberg, the Knoblauchsland serves as a leisure area, in which they often go cycling or running. The airport is also situated here.

Regions

:P

At least the smells are natural and not from the car fumes like you get living in the more heavily populated urban areas

Balk