Where to buy locally produced honey

20 posts in this topic

Hello all, this is my first post so please be gentle. I searched for "honey" but nothing really came up.

Anyways, I read that eating locally produced honey can help tremendously with your allergies.

Something about it containing local pollens and it makes your body develop antigens or whatever...it was all too technical for me to really undertand. But the bottom line was that it can help with your allergies.

I tried the store "Vitales," but they only had honey from Bavaria.

Does anyone know of a farmer's market or something similar where they sell locally produced honey?

TIA.

At the market at Boxhagener Platz (saturday till 12:30) are always two shops who sell their homemade regional (brandenburg) honey.

If your allergies are pretty bad, I'd strongly recommend going to an allergist and starting a treatment program of immunization shots. It starts out with weekly visits (bring a book or some work, since they need to wait and make sure you don't have a severe reaction as they up the dosage), eventually slowing down to bi-weekly, then monthly. After maybe a year of continuous treatment, it's like your allergies never existed. I expect it's at least partially covered in the mandatory health insurance in Germany.

That's probably good advice and I thank you for it. But being the idiot that I am, I'll just take a gulp of the local honey without knowing a thing. I'll probably wake up with my face all bloated up or something. Hopefully I'll live to post about it. :ph34r:

Heh, well, I brought it up because it sounds like the same concept: ingesting some amount of what bothers you to somehow adjust your body to it. Just keep some Benadryl on hand and I'm sure you'll be fine ;)

Sometimes, you can buy local honey from a guy with his own bee hives, who travels into Berlin to sell it, on Warsauerstr. He's on the east side just past the rail bridge towards Revalerstr.- in the same area you find the begging punks and other street vendors. He's not often there- but I've seen him a few times. If you're in the area look out for him.

Hey,

I heard the same thing about local pollen helping with allergies.

There is a local beekeeper (also from brandonburg) with a table selling honey and straight-up bee pollen at the Mauerpark fleamarket on sundays.

Its actually a sweet older couple. They speak a bit of english and have a table inside the fleamarket, not too far from the restaurant/bar attached to mauerpark.

I bought a jar of the pollen and eat a tablespoon everyday. It seems to have helped!

They also sell some yummy honey milk candies :)

Thanx guys, I've purchased a jar of honey at the market on Nollendorf.

Gulped down a tablespoon and was hospitalized for a week.

Just kidding on the hospital part :)

I've long suffered severe allergies and hay fever and whatever else you can group with all that stuff..

Honestly, nothing has ever worked for me, but it seems to slowly becoming less extreme with age... or maybe it's because I stay in and act like an 80 year old hermit more and more these days.

In either case, i've discovered the best short term relief ever. I found something called "Cold Water Treatment" which involved immersing the tip of the nose and nostrils in a bowl of ice water for half a minute. It has multiple purposes and leaves you feeling just a tiny bit better.. (it slows the blood flow and cleans dusts from the noise a bit among other things). I often find myself doing a 'ghetto' version of this where i get cold tap water into my cupped hands and do this. It doesn't fix the problem but it helps take the edge off. Give it a try. Make sure to not rub your nose too much with paper tissue after too - so much residue comes off the tissue and contributes to the nasty feeling. Just do the water thing any time you need or even kind of use your finger (EW! ;) ) and water in the privacy of the bathroom to clean out your nose and gently pad it dry after.

Try a nette pot. It's a device to rinse out your sinuses. It won't 'cure' the problem, but will certainly lessen the allergens in your system. Simply use warmish salt water and run through your nose.

Thought about creating a post on this subject but might just revive this one. 
I would like to know where to buy honeycombs. So, not just honey, honeycombs. I used to love this ones inside of honey jars that i can just take pieces of it. 

Anyone knows if this is still common to find in bio markts? 

51 minutes ago, Zhaitan said:

Google bio Berlin Honig Bienenwaben.  My cut and paste not working.

2 hours ago, Zhaitan said:

Thought about creating a post on this subject but might just revive this one. 
I would like to know where to buy honeycombs. So, not just honey, honeycombs. I used to love this ones inside of honey jars that i can just take pieces of it. 

My local Turkish market carries it.  It comes in small plastic boxes instead of jars - just a chunk of honeycomb (with honey in it of course)

2 hours ago, lisa13 said:

My local Turkish market carries it.  It comes in small plastic boxes instead of jars - just a chunk of honeycomb (with honey in it of course)

Bought it! Thank you so much! 

It seems something that would be easy to find, at least from my point of view... But I was looking everywhere for a simple honeycomb piece. It was indeed in the Turkish market!