Taking a dog back to the UK from Germany

29 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Acton said:

No.

Hence, you are the exact person with a dog that should not be allowed on public transportation...or restaurants...or off the leash...or anywhere people like you would be a menace to others.

On 26/02/2020, 18:46:42, Acton said:

We'd like to travel by rail from Berlin to England with our dog on holiday and can't do this at the moment. Flying is not an option and I'm fed up with driving such a long way.

What type of dog do you have Acton? Please tell me you are not the guy where we both live with the insane Jack Russell that has kennel madness and bays at everything and everyone?

16 hours ago, catjones said:

Hence, you are the exact person with a dog that should not be allowed on public transportation...or restaurants...or off the leash...or anywhere people like you would be a menace to others.

Excuse me? What a horrible thing to say, and really strange as you don't know anything about me or my dog.

Do you have a dog phobia ?

On 26/02/2020, 17:46:42, Acton said:

Does anyone have any updates on the situation re Eurostar, which currently doesn't allow dogs to travel on their trains for some reason?

We'd like to travel by rail from Berlin to England with our dog on holiday and can't do this at the moment. Flying is not an option and I'm fed up with driving such a long way.

Some agencies have started a petition to change the Eurostar rules to allow dogs in a carriage which doesn't disturb sensitive passengers (snowflakes) with their sniffing and barking. I mean the dogs, of course. Poor things!

Mate, you gotta be having a Steffi?

A dog on a train for a journey that could take up to 24 hours possibly longer.

Just drive and break up the journey with some stop offs on route thats what we do then you aint gonna be cream crackered, it aint as if your in a rush your going on your hols anyway.

Think of your mutt it'll be much fairer and a lot less stressful on him.

Happy days.

20 hours ago, catjones said:

Can you imagine what those reasons might be?

You can take dogs on longer journeys within Europe.    You can take them on Britanny ferries to the UK, they have special cabins and an outside walky area.  But you have to board the boat in a car, not on foot. 

Edit:  Just found that the Hook of Holland - Harwich ferry allows dogs even for foot passengers, you have to book a kennel 17 euro single.  Small dogs are allowed on trains in Germany and the Netherlands @Acton

"Mate, you gotta be having a Steffi?"

Do you mean laugh, like Graff?

Not at all. I was serious at the beginning of this saga, but have now changed my mind. The train from Berlin to Brussels takes 8 1/2 hours at least, which would be too long for our little Harry. He's a Boston terrier and doesn't bark much, so not guilty Black1..

Also thank you snowingagain. If you have to take a car on the boat, you can't travel by train there, can you.

One more thing, the price of 2 adult tickets return from Berlin to Brussels is 330€, plus any charges for the dog. You can buy a lot of petrol for that, then the cost of Eurostar. renting a car in the UK etc. Naw!

Last time, we stopped in a nice litte town in Belgium called de Panne, which I can highly recommend.

17 minutes ago, Acton said:

Also thank you snowingagain. If you have to take a car on the boat, you can't travel by train there, can you.

Sorry I was unclear.  The Harwich Hook of Holland ferry allows foot passengers to take dogs.   But sure it is a looong journey.  Can find cheaper tickets than ones you quoted, but, yes I get it, it is not really going to to work.  Some of the ferries seem to require even guide dogs to board in a car, handy for all the blind drivers.

19 hours ago, Acton said:

Not at all. I was serious at the beginning of this saga, but have now changed my mind. The train from Berlin to Brussels takes 8 1/2 hours at least, which would be too long for our little Harry. He's a Boston terrier and doesn't bark much, so not guilty Black1..

Thank goodness your dog is not the mad barker near us. I hate that dog. I had to look up Boston Terrier, it looks sort of like a French Bulldog.

Looking forward to meeting your dog if you are still on for a meet up in April.

There's no reason to hate dogs. Their owners perhaps, when they are clueless about how to look after them.

(Sorry. Shouldn't say 'owners' according to one peson on this site, but 'human companions').