Taking a dog back to the UK from Germany

29 posts in this topic

Hi I am going back to the Uk in the next couple of months and would like to make sure that on arrival at the white cliffs of Dover a peak capped body will not refuse entry to my beloved Wolfhound. He has an up to date pet passport which I am sure also requires a check by a vet before entry to the UK for Ticks and fleas (24 hours before travel I think) but does the vet have to have some extra Government certification or can any vet do the check?

Many thanks I checked the DEFRA site and found exactly what I was looking for i.e I can take the dog to any qualified vet for the flea and tapeworm checks not less than 24 hours before travel and no later than 48 hours.

I'm planning to take my dog "home" (UK) over Christmas, and thought I had things sorted, but I've just read something about the rabies vaccination which has got me worried:

21 day wait

From 1 January 2012, there is a wait of 21 days from the date of the first rabies vaccination before a pet can enter or re-enter the UK if you are travelling from an EU or a listed non-EU country. If the vaccine manufacturer’s data sheet requires more than one vaccination to complete the primary course of vaccinations, the 21 day wait applies from the date of the final vaccination of that course. Ask your vet for advice.

A 21 day waiting period is not required for subsequent entries into the UK, provided rabies boosters are kept up to date.

For pets entering the UK from unlisted countries, different rules apply. After your pet has been vaccinated, it must be blood tested to make sure the vaccine has worked and then serve out a 3 month waiting period.

My dog has got an up-to-date passport, and has been vaccinated against rabies. Can anyone tell me if this means no more rabies vaccinations for the moment, and therefore no 21 day wait?

"Travelling within the EU (or into the EU from another ‘listed’ country)

When travelling to or returning to the UK from another EU or non-EU listed country your pet needs:

a microchip

a rabies vaccination (make sure your pet is microchipped first or the vaccination won’t count)

a pet passport or official third country veterinary certificate

tapeworm treatment (for dogs only)

You must also use an authorised carrier and an approved route.

You must wait 21 days from the date of the rabies vaccination before travelling."

So I would say you're ok as the vaccinations are up to date and the last one was more than 21 days prior. Of course I'm not a professional, blah blah blah.

Hey!!

I've travelled to both Jersey & Dover with my dog this year & last year. So all you need is...

1. 24 to 120 hours (so 1-5 days) before you arrive in the UK you need to go to the vet so they can give the dog the tape worm tablet. They put a sticker in the pet passport with date & time of worming & stamp it.

2. make sure that the rabies injection is still valid.

Only after the very first rabies injection (like when he is a puppy) do you have to wait the full 21 days. Or if you didn't do the booster injection before it expired then you have to wait 21 days from the date of the booster injection.

The procedure on the boat is very quick. When you check in they give you a 'Pets' sticker for your car window. Then you drive to the second window for the passport control. You stay seated in the car. Give the person your pet passport & they make sure everything's ok. They then give you a microchip reader & you have to scan the dog until it beeps. Then you give them back the microchip reader & they check the number is the same as in the pet passport & then they give back the passport & wave you through. It's all very easy!

We just travelled back and forth from Germany to UK in August. It is very important that you make sure that your pet passport is filled in correctly.

Our vet did not document the date of our dog's microchip and they put the de-worming information on page 23 instead of page 13. In France, they would not let us on the train. They were very well organized and provided us with a laminated sheet of local vets to fix the issues - at a cost at the vet's of course!

But overall, it is simple: 1. microchip; 2. valid rabies shot; 3. de-worming more than 24 hours but less than 5 days before arrival in the UK.

Does anyone have any updates on the situation re Eurostar, which currently doesn't allow dogs to travel on their trains for some reason?

We'd like to travel by rail from Berlin to England with our dog on holiday and can't do this at the moment. Flying is not an option and I'm fed up with driving such a long way.

Some agencies have started a petition to change the Eurostar rules to allow dogs in a carriage which doesn't disturb sensitive passengers (snowflakes) with their sniffing and barking. I mean the dogs, of course. Poor things!

After 4 days, no replies? Doesn't anyone here in Germany have a dog that they would want to bring to the UK by train?

13 minutes ago, Acton said:

After 4 days, no replies? Doesn't anyone here in Germany have a dog that they would want to bring to the UK by train?

Obviously not^_^

On 2/26/2020, 10:46:42, Acton said:

currently doesn't allow dogs to travel on their trains for some reason?

Can you imagine what those reasons might be?

There are enough people I would prefer not to have to put up with on public transport ( buses/ trains): drunk, smelly, aggressive, anti-social etc. 

Anyway, I can imagine concerns about eg „ toiletry“ and about a dog biting a child might be reasons. Dunno.

Difficult here on Crete- there are no trains anyway and I have never seen a dog on a bus, which is a shame for those without a car wanting to go to a vet‘s.

55 minutes ago, Acton said:

Stop being such a snowflake. 😉

2 hours ago, john g. said:

There are enough people I would prefer not to have to put up with on public transport ( buses/ trains): drunk, smelly, aggressive, anti-social etc. 

is that all the reasons you have been banned from public transport?

No, Spider!:lol:

They didn´t want a Greek God upsetting the locals!

:P