Edeka's Scheck-In Center: biggest foodstore in FFM

20 posts in this topic

"Biggest foodstore" with only 5000 square meters? Pretty average for the Scheck-In/Marktkauf brand (and its competitors in the hypermarket business).

Oh wait, i don't think there's a Marktkauf in the region (nearest in Mainz, of the DIY sub-branch, which is being sold to Rewe). Btw, both Scheck-In and Marktkauf are part of Edeka.

Well I went there on Saturday and have to say I was quite impressed. Extremely friendly and helpful staff and the fruit and veg section was a dream I got a lettuce that literally looked like it had just been dug up! I have not found anything that fresh anywhere else - not even the Bornheim Wochenmarkt.

I think I'll be doing my weekly shop there from now on but the fact that it is extremely close to home for me is the contributing factor to that - it is even closer than Aldi :D

Also a nice selection of speciality foods. Well worth a visit.

I second what PM says!! :)

Just returned from a bike ride to check the place out. It is AMAZING!! Not only because they stock pop tarts, hp sauce, heinz sweet relish, 7 different brands of peanut butter, assorted flavour (NOT paprika) potato chips (ok ok..crisps), boxed macaroni cheese, etc, but because this store would be amazing no matter what country it is in. It"s like a regular supermarket and whole foods plus a bit of small electronics and housewares all rolled into one, plus the wine, cheese, deli and tapas/assorted take away bits and bobs section of a Kaufhof or Karstadt. They also rival the bio grocery store. Their h&b section is also well-sized - even have things like saline solution in addition to 5-6 aisles of deo, shampoos, washes etc.

Two things really stand out though: their fruit and veg section is breath-taking. Beautiful, ripe produce as far as the eye can see and nary a fly or straggly sad worn bunch of salad or rotting fruit. I mean, I normally shop at Rewe and Scheck-In makes their produce section look like it's straight out of PennyMarkt. And not only is it amazing quality, the selection is wow. They literally have any and everything you could want, no matter how exotic it might be. Of course, I will admit some of the prices are correspondingly "amazing"...(and I don't mean in a good way, e.g. EUR 14,99 for a kilo of sweet cheeries or EUR 7,50 per kilo of round yellow zuccinis)

The second bit that really impressed me was the little ingredients - sauces, spices, baking ingredients etc. They have entire aisles of bbq/grilling sauce. And not just the knorr crap, but those little small brand ones you can find in places like trader joe's or whole foods. Again, no matter how obscure it might be, I am willing to bet they sell it. And not just one, but 2 or 3 different brands (minimum)! They actually have a baking aisle of ingredients in addition to the aisle of box mixes etc.

Oh - and I seem to recall a thread about gluten on here a while back - they have a gluten free section in the frozen foods section as well (pastas, pizza etc)

I seriously recommend you go, it is easily accessible by car, tram or the U6 Frankfurt Ost ubahn stop (2 min walk). Best place I have ever shopped in Germany hands down - also, not sure what it is like on a Saturday but the place was almost empty just now when I went. No wait at the checkout, and they actually had lots of lanes. Oh, and they are open 8am to 10pm, Monday through Saturday.

p.s. hopefully I don't sound too pathetic getting this excited about a grocery store... :rolleyes:

not sure what it is like on a Saturday but the place was almost empty just now when I went. No wait at the checkout, and they actually had lots of lanes.

We went at peak time on Saturday and it wasn't empty but there was more than enough room to get around and also no queue at the checkout whereas everywhere else you are waiting at least 10 minutes on a Saturday.

I did not see the peanut butters!!

The other thing that impressed me was that somebody came over and asked if we needed any help while we were at the drinks section and when I asked if they had pomegranate juice he actually found it for me! I was amazed :D

wow what a great review! this place sounds fantastic, think i'll have to pop there in the car tonight to check it out

I second what PM says!!

Just returned from a bike ride to check the place out. It is AMAZING!! Not only because they stock pop tarts, hp sauce, heinz sweet relish, 7 different brands of peanut butter, assorted flavour (NOT paprika) potato chips (ok ok..crisps), boxed macaroni cheese, etc, but because this store would be amazing no matter what country it is in. It"s like a regular supermarket and whole foods plus a bit of small electronics and housewares all rolled into one, plus the wine, cheese, deli and tapas/assorted take away bits and bobs section of a Kaufhof or Karstadt. They also rival the bio grocery store. Their h&b section is also well-sized - even have things like saline solution in addition to 5-6 aisles of deo, shampoos, washes etc.

Two things really stand out though: their fruit and veg section is breath-taking. Beautiful, ripe produce as far as the eye can see and nary a fly or straggly sad worn bunch of salad or rotting fruit. I mean, I normally shop at Rewe and Scheck-In makes their produce section look like it's straight out of PennyMarkt. And not only is it amazing quality, the selection is wow. They literally have any and everything you could want, no matter how exotic it might be. Of course, I will admit some of the prices are correspondingly "amazing"...(and I don't mean in a good way, e.g. EUR 14,99 for a kilo of sweet cheeries or EUR 7,50 per kilo of round yellow zuccinis)

The second bit that really impressed me was the little ingredients - sauces, spices, baking ingredients etc. They have entire aisles of bbq/grilling sauce. And not just the knorr crap, but those little small brand ones you can find in places like trader joe's or whole foods. Again, no matter how obscure it might be, I am willing to bet they sell it. And not just one, but 2 or 3 different brands (minimum)! They actually have a baking aisle of ingredients in addition to the aisle of box mixes etc.

Oh - and I seem to recall a thread about gluten on here a while back - they have a gluten free section in the frozen foods section as well (pastas, pizza etc)

I seriously recommend you go, it is easily accessible by car, tram or the U6 Frankfurt Ost ubahn stop (2 min walk). Best place I have ever shopped in Germany hands down - also, not sure what it is like on a Saturday but the place was almost empty just now when I went. No wait at the checkout, and they actually had lots of lanes. Oh, and they are open 8am to 10pm, Monday through Saturday.

p.s. hopefully I don't sound too pathetic getting this excited about a grocery store...

Helpful and friendly staff? It'll take me around 50 minutes to get there but I'll go check it out if only to see this! So exciting to have decent stores...

GoNad... took me 40 minutes on foot hin und zuruck.

3 times the size of a normal supermarket and 3 times the amount of mediocre food.

As a result its 3 times better than Rewe!!

also found this supermarket to be soo normal!! I was greeted with a rose upon entering - bought really fresh fish, prawns etc...

The one negative I found was that the veg and fruit tended to go off v quickly - i was there on Sat and had to throw some out on Mon! But this I think is a German thing!

Selection is huge, lots of recognisable brands.

They also have an electrical section - for all sorts of things pans, microwaves, etc - good prices too.

Their wine and alcohol department is large and sectioned according to country and regions for wines! Makes things a lot easier!

There were lots of tastings both food and wine taking place - dont think I have seen this in my local Rewe!

All in all I will be back and have already spread the news - that at last there is a normal supermarket in Frankfurt. Still wish they would bring back Marks & Spencer's though!!

Hi Guys,

For the people that have been to this store I read in this thread that there are 7 kinds of peanut butter. I was wondering if there are any north american brands there?

Sherrie

Hi Sherrie,

I went there last weekend and didn't recognize any North American brands. I actually didn't see many American products at all (the ones I did see are already stocked at Kaufhof or Karstadt).

Hanna

Thanks Hanna! I didn't want to waste if they didn't have any good peanut butter! hehe :P

Sherrie

>>7 kinds of peanut butter

Peanut Butter, schmeenut butter! Went there earlier in the week and there were two full aisles of dried pasta - ranging from the basic, economy brands - right up to the full-on gourmet stuff. Quite astonishing.

And that's just for starters. Left the place in a daze, realising that it's pointless just browsing in there - you need a well-thought-out shopping strategy to tackle Scheck-In Center!

K

The one negative I found was that the veg and fruit tended to go off v quickly - i was there on Sat and had to throw some out on Mon!

I also found that the salad I got there on my second trip was not as good as what I got the first time and did seem to go off a bit quicker. But agree this is a German thing so I just try and buy for 1 or maximum 2 days at a time...

Left the place in a daze, realising that it's pointless just browsing in there - you need a well-thought-out shopping strategy to tackle Scheck-In Center!

Yes I think you do. I can remember my Mum always had a plan for our weekly shop at Asda always went down certain aisles and at certain point sent me to go and get the ticket for the bacon counter. I actually noticed they had a ticket system at the Scheck-In centre although it wasn't being used when I was there. A German couple just couldn't work out what it was for. Confused they walked up to the counter and proceeded to try and push in front of all the others who had been waiting longer...

Will probably pop there to get some groceries tomorrow since it takes 4 minutes from my place door to door. I timed it last week I am that sad!

I spent almost 90min in there the other day, you definately need a shopping list/strategy in place otherwise it is v easy to just explore the different delicacies! ;)