Deregistering when leaving Germany temporarily

45 posts in this topic

I got my haftpflichtversicherung/ liability insurance from a 'Makler', I think he seeks the best for me and gets commission, is that right?

On 5/9/2021, 8:16:20, MaineCoon said:

I have to register after 3 months in the other EU country, but then I will be registered in *two* places.  Is this even allowed?

On 5/13/2021, 2:51:25, MaineCoon said:

Our local Bürgerbüro said I should not deregister, but designate my house as a Doppelte Haushalt / Zweitwohnsitz or some such. She's a really lovely lady, but it takes a shovel to dig through her 1,000 km/hr Schwäbisch. Not really sure what she meant, have to do some research.

Really glad to find someone else with the same questions I have! @MaineCoon, did you find any information on the Doppelte Haushalt since? And if being registered in two countries at the same time is possible?

My case might be a little simpler - my partner will continue to live at our registered address and will continue work here in Germany. I will be starting a new role in the Netherlands and the company is currently processing my work permit there. I have almost resigned myself to the fact that I will lose my Niederlassungserlaubnis and will have to go through the entire visa process again when I come back in two years.

I'm not worried about the costs of not deregistering - we'll still have to pay the radio tax and other house related expenses. I am currently on my partners health insurance, and I think I should be able to get off it once I have health insurance in the NL.

But should I be worried about anything else legally? Will it make a naturalization application in the future, for instance, more complicated?

17 hours ago, zaphodrox said:

And if being registered in two countries at the same time is possible?

Yes. Otherwise, there would be no need for agreements on the avoidance of double taxation.

On 23/05/2021, 14:09:11, zaphodrox said:

Really glad to find someone else with the same questions I have! @MaineCoon, did you find any information on the Doppelte Haushalt since? And if being registered in two countries at the same time is possible?

My case might be a little simpler - my partner will continue to live at our registered address and will continue work here in Germany. I will be starting a new role in the Netherlands and the company is currently processing my work permit there. I have almost resigned myself to the fact that I will lose my Niederlassungserlaubnis and will have to go through the entire visa process again when I come back in two years.

I'm not worried about the costs of not deregistering - we'll still have to pay the radio tax and other house related expenses. I am currently on my partners health insurance, and I think I should be able to get off it once I have health insurance in the NL.

The Doppelhaushalt allowance is reserved for a situation where one of the people works too far away from home to commute daily. This does not apply to me as I have 100% moved my residence outside DE.

And I cannot register my house as a Zweitwohnsitz either, because my "1st residence" is outside DE.

Both of these situations are really about giving Germany-registered people a tax break so their extra costs don't end up penalising them.

It is totally possible to be registered in two countries. I am not deregistered in DE, although I am also registered in NL - but note that I am not working in either country. @john g. is also in this situation: he lives in Greece and Germany, and AFAIK works in both. How he swings that, I have no idea.

If you are going to be travelling between Netherlands and Germany, then it looks like you can/will qualify to be a Doppelhaushalt. Also, I do not think you have to give up your Niederlassungserlaubnis - see Working in the Netherlands as a cross-border worker on the IND website.  Note that nobody is going to track whether you actually return home every 7 days; the principle is that your home remains in DE.

Assuming you do qualify to be a Doppelhaushalt, I think you will also be able to stay on your partner's health insurance if you want to, but @john g. is the expert on this, not me.

On 5/27/2021, 3:10:28, MaineCoon said:

The Doppelhaushalt allowance is reserved for a situation where one of the people works too far away from home to commute daily. This does not apply to me as I have 100% moved my residence outside DE.

And I cannot register my house as a Zweitwohnsitz either, because my "1st residence" is outside DE.

Both of these situations are really about giving Germany-registered people a tax break so their extra costs don't end up penalising them.

It is totally possible to be registered in two countries. I am not deregistered in DE, although I am also registered in NL - but note that I am not working in either country. @john g. is also in this situation: he lives in Greece and Germany, and AFAIK works in both. How he swings that, I have no idea.

If you are going to be travelling between Netherlands and Germany, then it looks like you can/will qualify to be a Doppelhaushalt. Also, I do not think you have to give up your Niederlassungserlaubnis - see Working in the Netherlands as a cross-border worker on the IND website.  Note that nobody is going to track whether you actually return home every 7 days; the principle is that your home remains in DE.

Assuming you do qualify to be a Doppelhaushalt, I think you will also be able to stay on your partner's health insurance if you want to, but @john g. is the expert on this, not me.

Does the same rule apply in case you want to move to Portugal? I have the same situation. My wife will keep working in Germany and I plan to move to Portugal and make it my first home. I will be living there and setup my residency in Portugal because of the non habitual residence. Do I give up my residence card? I'm on spouse visa and my wife is EU Blue Card holder. 

If I move to Portugal, do I still file tax returns here in Germany? Do I have to pay something here?