Deregistering when leaving Germany temporarily

46 posts in this topic

Hi,

I will be leaving Germany from June till late Aug to work back in my home country, not relocation and not related to my work here. I finish my employment contract end of May, and will return to germany in Aug 2008, but, not with my current employer. What I need to know is do I have to deregister here in Munich? Is there a certain time you have to deregister within and notify that you have left employment within? Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

no you dont except if you move somewhere else. you could but theres no point if you are going to live at the same address again when you come back.

You don't need to de-register. However note that if someone else moves into your apartment and registers there, it s likely that the Bizirksamt will automatically deregister you. This happened to us. It was no problem when we came back (4 years later) - the Bizirksamt where we moved to simply told us that this had happened - and so we were treated as folks registering for the first time. (Note that this was in Berlin)

if someone else moves into your apartment and registers there, it s likely that the Bizirksamt will automatically deregister you. This happened to us ... in Berlin

how did that happen? Several people can live at the same address (large building) or even in the same apartment (shared apartment) without any problems. I'm quite sure you misunderstood something.

But you should have deregistered anyways since you were leaving for more than half a year.

I would strongly recommend de-registering - though you can do it my mail.

The reason being, certain services, like say the Cable, phone, mobile phone etc, will refuse to cancel your contract until you give them a copy of the Abmeldungschein. They will happily keep taking your money long after you have left (unless you close your bank account).

At least, that was my experience.

-Arc

You do not have to Deregister. The KVR/Whatever Amt, will not auto deregister you either.. Enjoy your trip.

I've been meaning to ask about this since I came back to the UK in March last year! I know I should have abmelded and even spoke to the woman at the Amt about it on the phone before leaving. She said I could do it online I thinK? But was moving around in the UK for a while and never got round to it. Would they try to fine me if I tried to put the record straight now?? What would happen if I were to move back to Germany in the future if I don't abmeld from my previous address there???

Advice please! Feeling guilty.

Aeons ago, after redundancy I took a sabbatical/break between jobs, and basically went interrailing across Europe with my Abfindung for about 3 months. I don't think I deregistered, since I was temporarily not there.

Regardless of your deregistering/not deregistering, on your return you may be questioned by your Krankenkasse about why no payments were made to them for the last few months.

At the time, I think there was an Überbrückungsperiode of about 6 weeks for the Krankenkasse, so I was covered for a while anyway. On my return, I feigned ingorance, acted like a ditz, and was allowed to continue using the same basic Versichertenkarte on my return.

Hey there tt people,

Anybody know if it is necessary to unregister with the police if you leave the country for an undetermined period of time? Meaning: you don't know what your future holds and maybe you'll be gone for more than 6 mos., could be a year... who knows.

Second part of the question is this: If you unregister with the police, can you keep your German Konto (bank account)? If you don't unregister with the police and keep your German bank account, is that legal?

Topics merged by admin

Nobody here registers or de-(un)registers with the police. This is not a police state. You register with the local Bürgeramt/Rathaus etc.

Maybe HEM will get on your case for spelling Anmeldung incorrectly. Jeez, somebody forgot to eat his Würstchen this morning.

I did use the search function, just now - i admit. I don't see any thread that specifically addresses (ha!) the necessity of de-(un)registering with the authorities if/when you leave the country for an undetermined period of time. There is a thread that poses the question, with no answer and nothing mentioning the second part of my inquiry.

Perhaps, instead of criticizing, you might provide some helpful answer such as, "Hey, guy, this question has already been answered on this thread. Cheeers!" (providing the link, of course). NB This post was added to this thread by a helpful editor while I was in the process of replying. Thanks, editor!

Plus, I love it that you assume that I am of the male persuasion! We all know what happens when you assume.

So now, upon reading the above, it seems that it is NOT necessary to un/de-register with the authorities.

The reason I ask is because I would like to keep my bank account active and in order to get the bank account in the first place, you must show the Anmeldungschein. So it would follow that you are not permitted to keep a bank account if you un/de-register.

Anyway, thanks again for the merged topics, Admin.

Strictly speaking, the answer is of course that you „should“ de-register. The German State doesn’t like loose ends. Otherwise, it depends upon which registration you are referring to.

If you have a limited residence permit, shortly before expiry a letter will be sent to your [registered] German address reminding you to renew. If the letter is returned undelivered the permit expires.

Any limited work permit will expire if not renewed (as above). Here you might need to present proof of further employment in Germany.

When your passport expires you will be required to attend personally to present the new one for registration. This letter will only be sent to a German address.

As far as the bank is concerned, obviously they must have your current address. It IS possible to hold an account as a non-resident, certainly with the usual pay-in and pay-out facilities, but there might be some other restrictions. No bank likes to lose customers. Assuming you have no problems, talk to them, they will have a solution for sure. If you have paid tax in Germany, remember that the authorities also have access to your bank account.

(Of course, if the US joined the EU then you would have far less trouble … )

HTH

Lots of folk leave the country without deregistering.

The chief of the Statistischesamt in Hessen reckons that the population

of Germany is less than 80 million rather than the official 82 million.

This is due to people leaving the country without deregistering.

Personally, I would deregister as it is almost cost free and

avoids possible problems with Krankenkassen, The Finanzamt etc.

Certainly if you come back to Germany to live permanently again

I can see costs and problems if you have not deregistered.

(Are the Finanzamt going to believe you without official proof?)

Hello fellow members,

I will be located outside EU for a period of 2 years from my German company. During this time I will not have any flat in Germany, however, my contribution for social and krankasse etc will still be paid. Do I need to deregister?

If I deregister, theoreticall I should not pay the krankenkasse, Rente etc but that is the not the case. On the other hand, if I do not deregister and someone else takes my current flat, will I be automatically deregistered?

Or is there a way to clarify it to the authorities beforhand?

Thanks for you help.

Samm

Topics merged by admin

I think you are supposed to unregister if you leave the country. I heard even homeless people must register themselves, so there should be some way to have get an Anmeldebestätigung without an address on it.

Thanks for the replies. However having deregistering has a lot of other implications other than just being in Germany or not, such as:

* the arbeitserlaubnis or niederlassungserlaubnis will be lost (may be not important for the EU guys but for the rest, it is)

* your account about how many years have you been in DE will be reset to Zero.

such side effects are not always preferrable. What concerns me is that, would one be automatically deregistered if someone moves into the flat? can someone confirm (although I saw one post).

regards

samm