Getting used to driving on the right

85 posts in this topic

Hey there ,

I am in bit of a soup .. We have just purchased a car (after my constant nagging) and Since I am used to driving on the left side in the UK I decided I will take up one driving class with a Fahrschule just to see how much of a big deal it is to drive in the right lane . Yesterday was my first day and I was TERRIFIIED :blink: ... Firstly the lanes are much narrower than the UK (I was scared i am gonna hit the car to my right or left ) ,secondly I got confused with the gear changes (Always reached out for the window ), thirdly I am always turning into a left lane !!! Last but not the least not everyone follows the speed limit here and there were so much honking cos I was doing a 50 and the rest of the cars must be definitely doing a 65 WTF !!! Thankfully my instructor just asked me to be calm and enjoy the drive .. But how can i enjoy such driving where I am constantly worried if i am driving alright with so many things around me ..

and what is with the rules in some places , even though the signal is green I have to give priority to the cyclists and pedestrians (I thought they had different signals ) , and it seems if i am on a cross road and driving straight , the cars passing through the smaller intersections have priority !!! I really dont get it ... Moreover i cant understand the language and some signs are in greek and latin .. At least I can get through this part but how do i get my brain tuned to Drive in the right lane all the time ... i am totally freaked out man!!! . I dont think I will be touching my car till i am confident ... :(

Does anyone have any tips !!!

Ta

and what is with the rules in some places , even though the signal is green I have to give priority to the cyclists and pedestrians (I thought they had different signals )

Yes, they generally have their own signals. For example, if you have a green to turn right then it's most likely that the people crossing that road will have a green at that point so you have to let them go first. In short, ALWAYS watch out for cyclists and pedestrians when turning. They will not have a green to cross if you are just driving straight along a road.

and it seems if i am on a cross road and driving straight , the cars passing through the smaller intersections have priority !!! I really dont get it

If there are no traffic lights and your road does not have a sign looking like a yellow diamond then cars coming from the right have right of way, even if their road is smaller than yours.

post-8-1209546573.gif

On speed limits, in every country I've been to in the world people drive a little faster than the specified limit. As a rule of thumb, if their beeping bothers you, then drive with the speed of the other drivers and you'll be fine.

As to driving on the right when you are not used to it, the only thing you can do is keep at it and you'll quickly get used to it. It won't take long.

Just takes some time!

You should pick up a copy of the rules for Germany, surprised the Fahrschule didn't recommend this. You can get them in English. You always have to give way to cars coming from the right unless there is a sign to say otherwise, even if the road you are on looks like a main road. Also when turning at junctions, pedestrians and cyclists also have the right of way, so don't go speeding around corners!

Firstly the lanes are much narrower than the UK (I was scared i am gonna hit the car to my right or left ) ,secondly I got confused with the gear changes (Always reached out for the window ), thirdly I am always turning into a left lane !!!

Practise make perfect but I had the same problems when I first started driving - trying to find the gear stick through the window; not giving way to pedestrians/cycists when turning left or right at a set of traffic lights; turning into a left lane. But after a couple of times I soon realised my mistakes.

Another is the slip roads for Autobahns tend to much shorter than those in the UK, so not as much time as to brake (or accelerate out of).

Not sure about the streets being much narrower. If you have been driving on the left most of your life then judging the space between your car and the kerb or parked car on the right is harder - you feel you are nearer than you actually are.

Most drivers drive up to 20% above the speed limit as this is the tolerance the police/speed cameras use.

Hey there ,

I am in bit of a soup .. We have just purchased a car (after my constant nagging) and Since I am used to driving on the left side in the UK I decided I will take up one driving class with a Fahrschule just to see how much of a big deal it is to drive in the right lane . Yesterday was my first day and I was TERRIFIIED

You'll be ok after a couple of days. It's only confusing at first - then suddenly it seems normal, you get negligent, and that's when you end up driving on the wrong side of the road. :)

... Firstly the lanes are much narrower than the UK (I was scared i am gonna hit the car to my right or left ) ,

Never worry about the car to your right. Make sure to drive as far left as possible without hitting anything and the right side of the car will be ok. If it isn't, either the car's too broad or the road's too narrow, but in any case there's nothing you can do about that. Relax.

secondly I got confused with the gear changes (Always reached out for the window ), thirdly I am always turning into a left lane !!!

Again - you'll be fine within a day or two. Maybe close the window ...otherwise there might be a draught. :unsure:

Last but not the least not everyone follows the speed limit here and there were so much honking cos I was doing a 50 and the rest of the cars must be definitely doing a 65 WTF !!!

Go with the traffic. It's safer to speed and not annoy other drivers. Trust me on that. :ph34r:

Moreover i cant understand the language and some signs are in greek and latin ..

Greek? You sure you didn't take a wrong turn somewhere???

At least I can get through this part but how do i get my brain tuned to Drive in the right lane all the time ... i am totally freaked out man!!! . I dont think I will be touching my car till i am confident ...

The only way to get confident is by driving. Take your mother-in-law along - she'll be sure to point out to you that you need to stay on the right lane every other minute.

Once you're confident about the right lane thing, kick her out of the car.

Your profile states that you are located in the UK...

just to see how much of a big deal it is to drive in the right lane . Yesterday was my first day and I was TERRIFIIED

If you have been trying to drive in the right lane in the UK I'm not surprised it was terrifying...

Most drivers drive up to 20% above the speed limit as this is the tolerance the police/speed cameras use.

Are you sure about that? It'd be good to know...

I don't know if this is feasible, but what about driving a right-hand car here until you get the hang of everything?

Now you know the trouble for us when visiting the UK.

Follow other cars, works always for me.

Don't try to be the first entering an intersection.

then drive with the speed of the other drivers and you'll be fine.

Not good if the others are driving 20% above the speed limit and about to approach a speed camera/police speed check. I speak from personal experience. :D

... up to 20% above the speed limit as this is the tolerance the police/speed cameras use.

I wonder where you get this idea from. The local community finance department will love you...

I don't know if this is feasible, but what about driving a right-hand car here until you get the hang of everything?

I've driven a left-hand car in the UK - it's fine until you try to overtake a bigger vehicle and find that you won't see upcoming traffic until you're on the right lane. :ph34r:

For example, if you have a green to turn right then it's most likely that the people crossing that road will have a green at that point so you have to let them go first.

If you have a green arrow (lighted) to turn right, you dont have to yield. But it is always better to look out for the morons trying to cross the road.

If you see a green arrow affixed to the traffic light, you can turn right on red, ofcourse you will have to yield in this case.

Die Toleranzen derzeit eingesetzter Geschwindigkeitsmeßgeräte betragen nach PTB im Radar-, Laser- und Lichtschrankenverfahren: 3 km/h für Geschwindigkeiten bis 100 km/h sowie 3% für Geschwindigkeiten über 100 km/h (aufzurunden auf eine ganze Zahl).

This is what I learned 23 years ago and it seems not to have changed: The tolerance for speeding is 3kph up to 100kph, from 101kph up 3% of your speed.

So if you're doing 33kph in a 30 zone you're ok, same goes for 105kph in a 100 zone. Anything above that, you're for it.

Many people drive above the speed limit, but just below the threshold for Flensburg points.

Does anyone have any tips !!!

yes... do as I do - use the excellent public transport systems and avoid the madness on the roads whenever possible :)

Also, like me, you are used to the far superior traffic regulations in the UK. For example, there is no confusion with pedestrian crossings - when pedestrians have a green light, the cars have red - logical, and safer, especialy for pedestrians!

If you have a green arrow (lighted) to turn right, you dont have to yield. But it is always better to look out for the morons trying to cross the road.

If you see a green arrow affixed to the traffic light, you can turn right on red, ofcourse you will have to yield in this case.

You always have to give way to pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning.

As keydeck said, very often the junctions are so organised that pedestrians have a green light to cross the street into which you are turning (left or right) even when you have a filter-arrow allowing you to turn at the same time.

its easy if you have a german car, cant see the problem

Also, like me, you are used to the far superior traffic regulations in the UK. For example, there is no confusion with pedestrian crossings - when pedestrians have a green light, the cars have red - logical, and safer, especialy for pedestrians!

Except that - as we all know - only German pedestrians stop at red lights... :P