Opinions on MMR vaccinations for children

1,235 posts in this topic

a child could die in a plane or car crash too - so thats those two activities ruled out then

do you know what amazes me? That the same people who wale on about vaccinatons and pharmaceuticals being potentially unsafe, despite the fact they have to go through the most stringent safety checking of any maketed substance, will happily pop back equally potent and chemically strong 'herbal' or natural medicines that are often more dangerous but can be freely sold over the counter without any clinical trials at all.

I definitely agree, and as a skeptic and cynic I have my reservations about ingesting some "herbal and natural medicines" and even some vitamins too.

Thanks, LR. I told the German ped to back off when he insisted on jabbing Jr for meningitis. The German "schedule" and the American "schedule" are different... so which one is "right"? :rolleyes: I have a friend here who is not immunizing her 2nd kid, at least not yet, and she had a very hard time finding a doctor who would respect her wishes.

Daniel, the onset of autism and the injection with MMR are FAR more likely to be coincidental than anything else. The London study was compromised by one of the doctors being more concerned with making a name for himself than publishing the truth. No other study, and it has ow been investigated extensively, has found any similar link.

Dammit, I didn't get to post this before the mods shut the thread down!!!

I used to clone [single chain] antibodies for a living.

Phage display is out, antibodies are in. Now that is a qualification that I could use.

Fortunately my degree makes me more than qualified to ask questions

Your degree says above all else "do no harm" and by sewing seeds of doubt about immunizations you are doing exactly that - harm. You know absolutely that the statistics say to immunize. However, the dosing regimen (schedule of shots) is something you should question in your profession, but not with the muppets on here. While the substances have been rigorously tested, you and I both know that testing of the dosing protocol is an ongoing process that takes decades and not an internet forum. Please be kind and rewind.

There is something called herd immunity, so it is very unlikely that precious puppy will get sick.

Now you have lost your qualifications. I suggest you actually look up herd immunity. Here, let me help you! In other words, it only works when more of the herd have had vaccinations or have become "more resistant" as a whole due to the susceptible dying off!

do you know what amazes me? That the same people who wale on about vaccinatons and pharmaceuticals being potentially unsafe, despite the fact they have to go through the most stringent safety checking of any maketed substance, will happily pop back equally potent and chemically strong 'herbal' or natural medicines that are often more dangerous but can be freely sold over the counter without any clinical trials at all.

EXACTLY!

Folks it is as easy as this: We cannot let 100,000 people die from a preventable disease because the prevention will kill 200. Only a moron would let the other 99,800 die in order to save the 200. And that is exactly what some of you muppets are implying. Yes Gemini, vaccines have been improved, but they still saved more lives than they harmed when they were unimproved. You need to stop and think about what you are saying! Seriously, you do.

Coincidental? She was very healthy, then after she took the vaccine she reacted very badly to it, wouldn't talk, sunk into herself (a sharp contrast to previous behaviour), eventually diagnosed as autistic. That was a coincidence?

I know myself, when I was two, I had it, and had a very bad reaction to it. I had very little energy, sleeping all the time, my parents were very worried. My mother was advised to keep on feeding me breastmilk, which she did, and may or may not have helped, but I did come out of it. I have had allergies since then, which my mother puts down to the effects of the vaccine.

Are you saying a) I am lying?, or b)it's an old wives tale? These things have happened, does it not raise any questions for you at all?

I don't think people against the vaccine want it to be bad, it is obvioulsy a good idea and I think most people want it to work, but for some children at least it seems to have some problems.

daniel F, don't worry about BD...he's going through pregnancy. BTC post is correct, ithe autism connection really has been debunked and it is far more likely to be coincidence.

Because it is a triple live vaccine, I would not give it when your child has been ill. Maximize their nutritional health. Make sure they get lots of sleep and aren't stressed out by travel, etc. Perhaps make sure the vaccine is given alone. I have no double blinded study to back this up...it is just old fahioned common sense.

EV : Obviously am not anti-vaccine. I have NO problem with encouraging people to ask questions of their health care providers. That is not sowing the seeds of doubt, that is enpowering parents. I too have no time for the mumbo jumbo of the anti-vaccine lobby, or for clearly erroneous information (on both sides).

Now you have lost your qualifications. I suggest you actually look up herd immunity. Here, let me help you! In other words, it only works when more of the herd have had vaccinations or have become "more resistant" as a whole due to the susceptible dying off!

I was being a sarcastic BITCH. Something I am VERY good at. :P I reiterate: MY KID IS FULLY VACCINATED, JUST ON A DIFFERENT SCHEDULE, THAT I WORKED OUT WITH THE DOC. Our pediatrician back home is awesome; our ped here is a total ass.

And eurovol, you don't want me in your biotech; I am a huge trouble-maker. :lol: I'm on a new quest... no more lab scheit for me.

I was being sarcastic back. I wasn't worried about you, but the others that may not really know what herd immunity is. ;)

I still like the engineered antibody qualification though and I like troublemakers. :P

Coincidental? She was very healthy, then after she took the vaccine she reacted very badly to it, wouldn't talk, sunk into herself (a sharp contrast to previous behaviour), eventually diagnosed as autistic. That was a coincidence?

I know myself, when I was two, I had it, and had a very bad reaction to it. I had very little energy, sleeping all the time, my parents were very worried. My mother was advised to keep on feeding me breastmilk, which she did, and may or may not have helped, but I did come out of it. I have had allergies since then, which my mother puts down to the effects of the vaccine.

Are you saying a) I am lying?, or b)it's an old wives tale? These things have happened, does it not raise any questions for you at all?

I don't think people against the vaccine want it to be bad, it is obvioulsy a good idea and I think most people want it to work, but for some children at least it seems to have some problems.

Oh, and by the way, BadDoggie gets to routinely abuse people and then when I defend myself, I am moderated?? THis place really is a fucking joke isn't it?

look tripple live vaccines will initiate a strong immune response. That is how they work. You would expect to see fever, rashes or sometimes even stronger effects - that is how you know the immune system is reacting and that the vaccine is working.

I guess this is the reason why some parents of toddlers who have recieved MMR made the connection with autism, which usually pre-exists the injections but is only diagnosed once certain developmental stages are not attained.

So, the unfortunate parents of an autistic child see their little toddler get a fever after the injection and the shortly after see the health visitor pick up a failure to pass a developmental stage and the alarm bells ring for autism.

It is right that a link to autism has therefore been investigated for MMR. But really there has not been a single study in over a decade that has been able to demonstrate any linkage whatsoever. This is why it is so dismaying to anyone with knowledge of th e issues that this is still a preoccupation of the media and also people like you.

We cannot let 100,000 people die from a preventable disease because the prevention will kill 200.

I hark back to the U.S government needing to limit access to foreigners who are not vaccinated against these preventable disease. As millions of infants are subjected to a painful vaccination of MMR and pharmeceutical companies made millions of dollars from these immunizations being administered when the U.S. continues to allow access to foreigners who are not immunized.

During 2004, the CDC received 37 reports of measles from local and state health departments. According to the agency, this is the lowest annual number of cases ever reported in the United States and represents a 16% decrease from the previous low of 44 cases in 2002

These case reports highlight the continued risk of internationally imported measles in the US, and underscore the importance of maintaining high levels of vaccination coverage and vigilance in detecting and containing imported cases.

I don't think people against the vaccine want it to be bad, it is obvioulsy a good idea and I think most people want it to work, but for some children at least it seems to have some problems

The problem with the vaccination schedule is that the MMR is routinely administered shortly before the first signs of autism become apparent. There's some interesting work going on in Heidelberg and in London on autism, but none of it shows any causative effect from MMR to autism. There's definitely correlation, but that doesn't imply causation because the children who develop autism without MMR and the ones who developed it before the MMR vaccine was administered developed it along the same schedule. The furthest it seems possible to go is that MMR accelerates symptoms in children with a predisposition to autism, and even that seems to be overstating.

Autism's far more likely to be genetic than vaccine-caused. There are familial clusters that don't share potential environmental contamination.

Having said that, I keep hearing about MMRV with chicken pox included. I think a quadruple vaccine is far too many toxins at once for a small body, and I have serious concerns about the chicken pox vaccine versus getting chicken pox naturally and itching for a couple of days. I'd prefer to work on a single-vaccine schedule than have them all at once even if it does mean some extra shots.

@ BadDoggie.

Did you get your flu jab? What the hell is wrong with dying? Ok rip me a new one.

Take care,

space

You know I'm all for the idea of the vaccine, but there just has to be more investigation into it in my opinion.

More investigation is going on. Once the vaccine (or any drug) passes the approval process, the only investigation that can take place at this point are the epidemiological ones and that takes thousands of patients and years to do if nothing pops up on the radar in the post approval follow-up reports. It is just not that simple a thing to do.

llees, I too have serious reservations on giving 4 live viruses at the same time, nor is varicella vaccine warranted in most cases (IMO). Studies also show an increased risk of post vaccine reactions with this combination.

The infant immune system is something we are far from understanding fully, and we should respect that.

I was being sarcastic back. I wasn't worried about you, but the others that may not really know what herd immunity is.

I still like the engineered antibody qualification though and I like troublemakers.

I loved my last lab's project. Still thinking of going to work for Metabolex when I get home. tough decisions. And you're right; phage display is a pain in the ass. Looks like you guys are on to something... wish I were in Munich!

llees, looks like you have thought this through well. Space out the shots as much as you can...