Opinions on MMR vaccinations for children

1,166 posts in this topic

Just now, jeba said:

He may even be right - but only because vaccination prevents so many deaths.

 

Yes, I would suppose he's right when you just take the number of persons who die today from vaccination vs. getting the disease because so few get the disease.   However, if you look at the percentage who die due to vaccination vs. disease, it's much much lower. 

 

If you look at genealogy books you'll find many instances of people having a baby every year and most of them died in infancy.  It was very common that diptheria, whooping cough or measles might go around and you might have 5 kids and 2 weeks later you have none.  I worked with a girl once who said her great grandmother had this happen to her twice.  3rd time, she had a few more kids and got lucky and they reached adulthood.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Yes, I would suppose he's right when you just take the number of persons who die today from vaccination vs. getting the disease because so few get the disease.   However, if you look at the percentage who die due to vaccination vs. disease, it's much much lower. 

 

If you look at genealogy books you'll find many instances of people having a baby every year and most of them died in infancy.  It was very common that diptheria, whooping cough or measles might go around and you might have 5 kids and 2 weeks later you have none.  I worked with a girl once who said her great grandmother had this happen to her twice.  3rd time, she had a few more kids and got lucky and they reached adulthood.

 

 

To be fair, I believe most anti-vaxxers would not argue against any of that. Their message seems to be that it's not the vaccinations that improved the situation. Rather that it was a multitude of others things, such as better sanitation, better standards of living, better health practices, better nutrition etc etc etc.

 

They believe that vaccinations are superfluous to all this and that vaccinations are there only to make pharma companies money, or worse, as some sort of government conspiracy etc.

 

I can see the appeal. To the layman, vaccinations can look somewhat barbaric. Sticking a needle in a baby and injecting some sort of chemical. Sounds weird. Data, statistics and scientific reasoning are "all" we have to go on, and as we see in the world today, it's becoming harder and harder to bring Joe Public around to that way of thinking.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, LeonG said:

If you look at genealogy books you'll find many instances of people having a baby every year and most of them died in infancy.

I don´t even have to look up any books. My great-grandmother had 11 children of which only 6 made it to adulthood.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, theGman said:

 

...

 

They believe that vaccinations are superfluous to all this and that vaccinations are there only to make pharma companies money, ...

 

...

 

They better stop going to the supermarket then, as I heard that they also are out to make money!

 

Of course these are the same parents who buy designer clothes for their kids right!

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Keleth said:

They cannot imagine what it would be like if every parent decided not to vaccinate and in fact they actually rely on other kids to be vaccinated to prevent mass outbreaks.

 

Just like how there is mass outbreak in the US now. It seems like they have more aggressive anti vaxxers over there. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read this today.

 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6960189/Anti-vaxxers-utter-contempt-science-expert-says.html

 

I don't see why vaccinations for children should be a choice, in my opinion they should be mandatory. When people are 18 they can decide then as they are adults, but children need to be protected.

 

Just like these development checks they have for kids are mandatory, so should vaccinations.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can remember being kept quiet and mostly in a darkened bedroom when I had measles, at eight years old.  I don't remember whether my little sisters were also sick, or whether they took the contagion during a later wave.  My mother allowed me to read only one chapter a day of my new Bobbsey Twins book.  My eyes survived, and my brain, such as it is.  And when two of my children brought home measles from nursery school when their little sister was almost two, we were all quarantined for a month while first they, then she, were sick.  We were a lucky family, as the experience of little Olivia Dahl and many others proves.  

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when we were kids and thinking in the future we will have flying cars,diseases will be cured, travels in other planets ,etc

A few decades later you have to convince parents to vaccinate their kids and that the Earth is not flat...

 

3618862_0.jpg.857831f038d84f15d9e1ccd88f

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alexnf said:

I remember when we were kids and thinking in the future we will have flying cars,diseases will be cured, travels in other planets ,etc

A few decades later you have to convince parents to vaccinate their kids and that the Earth is not flat...

 

3618862_0.jpg.857831f038d84f15d9e1ccd88f

 

Sad and true indeed. You only have to look at the fundamentalist extremist religions and right wing politics to see, things really do seem to be going backwards!

 

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do agree that most vaccination should be mandatory, including MMR.

 

Only from evolutionary point of view if I speak with cold heart only with the facts, it in a sense downgrades the average quality of genes of homo sapiens. It is possible that MMR is a means of natural selection. Without vaccine and sort of medical aids, some children can survive MMR with their strong immune system. In ancient days, only these children could leave offsprings.

 

But if I have a child, even if she/he does not have strongest immune system, I would like my child survive with medical help.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is correct, in fact we are due for a good culling.

Even the black death, which killed 300 Million in the middleages would not be much of a Vector. It chewed up 40 to 60 percent of the global Population and it took 200 years to get back to pre-plague Levels but now we are 7 Billion.

One good book to read is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Planet_for_the_President

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today in my daughter´s kindergarten there was a letter from the Gesundheitsamt 

 

informing that adults should get the measles vaccine if...

 

you are born after 1970 

 

have never been vaccinated

had only one vaccination until now

or you dont know if you were vaccinated.

 

The letter says that this year there were 60 cases in Baden-w  and 40 in bayern.. mainly from adults.

 

 

 

IMG_3510.jpg

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/05/2019, 15:12:49, slammer said:

That is correct, in fact we are due for a good culling.

Even the black death, which killed 300 Million in the middleages would not be much of a Vector. It chewed up 40 to 60 percent of the global Population and it took 200 years to get back to pre-plague Levels but now we are 7 Billion.

One good book to read is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Planet_for_the_President

 

Or The Stand

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2019, 11:44:57, Anna66 said:

I don't see why vaccinations for children should be a choice, in my opinion they should be mandatory. When people are 18 they can decide then as they are adults, but children need to be protected.

 

eh...people use this same argument when they circumcise their baby boys - like they are totally subject to parental decisions til they hit 18 :/

 

I completely agree with you wrt vaccines, but if I believed they could cause my kid irreversible harm (like circumcision imo) letting them make their own choice later is sort of the natural next step.  I'm just saying it's hard to make this point to someone who REALLY believes vaxes are inherently harmful or risky. 

 

when I was a kid there was no "choice" that I recall.  We even got our booster shots administered at school. I don't remember any kids who were excused from getting vaccinated though maybe they existed.

 

Strangely, I still managed to contract Rubella when I was 5 or 6.  For me it was not a big deal but I was barred from school for 2 weeks even though I was only really sick for 2 or 3 days. 

 

Unlike measles Rubella is much more dangerous to the unborn than to the living.  My grandma had Rubella when she was preggers with my dad and he was born blind and with other health issues that played out as he grew up. His brain was so full of lesions his doctors couldn't understand how he could function at all, let alone be rather smart.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now