Opinions on MMR vaccinations for children

1,032 posts in this topic

While there is a vast array of info on the web regarding MMR jabs, I'm interested in getting the unique Toytown view on the risks or not. Also, if you know of a decent unbias website that has the pros and cons, even better. As of yet, I've not found an unbias one.. everyone has an agenda one way or another. :blink:

This topic has always sickened me in a way...how can responsible parents, who claim to be looking out for their children, not get them immunised? The risk of getting ill or dying from this shot are so so so very very very very tiny, as oppposed to actually catching a life threatening disease, that it's really a no-brainer.

Immunise your child.

Don't let a little bit of scare-mongering stop you, and I'll say it again...

IMMUNISE YOUR CHILD

I second that. Just do it.

The likelihood of suffering grave consequences from measles, mumps or rubella are FAR HIGHER than a vague, unproven connection with e.g.. autism following jabs. Today we do not see the consequences of serious childhood illness precisely because the World Health Organisation has successfully implemented immunisation programs.

A friend of mine refused to innoculate her children and paid dearly for her decision when both contracted whooping cough. After six months of lingering coughing she had them immunised for EVERYTHING. Learn from the mistakes of others.

l think you are too trusting of the medical establishment

try reading http://www.thinktwice.com/

outbreaks of most common diseases were being reduced anyway due to better sanitation, healthcare and nutrition. Immunisation has many drawbacks.

But if you read what is mentioned on that website and then decide to have all the immunisations then fair-dos

It's a scary thing but yeah my ex and i had our son immunised cos that seemed the right thing to do.

As a parent though, it is an awful dilemna.

A friend of mine refused to innoculate her children and paid dearly for her decision when both contracted whooping cough. After six months of lingering coughing she had them immunised for EVERYTHING. Learn from the mistakes of others.

Paid dearly? Because they caught a childhood illness and managed to actually recover and build up their own immunity? Big deal.

I had a cousin who was left severly brain damaged after getting vaccinated against whooping cough. She required special medical care for the rest of her life.

My thoughts and opinion:

I know one 35-year-old man who reacted to the immunization and is on the mental level of a 10-month-old baby. I also know his three perfectly healthy, immunized siblings.

I know one 45-year-old man whose mother had measles when she was pregnant and is on the level of a 10-month-old baby. I also know his seven perfectly healthy, unimmunized siblings.

I know one 67-year-old woman who caught measles from some non-immunized children whose parents don't belieive in immunization and threw a measles party without telling the woman (she was not immunized, they didn't do that back in the 40s of the last century). The woman developed meningo-encephalitis and almost died.

I am not immunized but have anti-bodies (got that checked when I was planning to get pregnant), my children are immunized, I consider it protecting them and others. You can carry and spread a virus without developing the illness yourself due to your protected status.

My advice:

None. You have to decide for yourself.

One interesting thing I've heard recently was that in the US 25 years ago, kids used to get 10 immunizations. Now they get almost 40. I've not researched these numbers independently, however.

On the one hand, some things that they immunize for, like Chicken Pox, seem very innocuous. On the other hand, innocuous childhood diseases can be very problematic for adults. For example, though I had the MMR vaccine as a child, I recently found out that I have very little immunity to Ruebella. In a child, this is a relatively mild disease, but for a pregnant woman, it's extremely dangerous. Something like 85% of pregnant women that contract rubella in the 1st trimester either miscarry or have children with very severe birth defects. Because most people in Germany have their kids immunized, the risk to me of catching ruebella is very very low (I think there were 2 reported cases of pregnant women contracting it last year).

My friend who is a nurse and has an autistic child suggested that kids should absolutely be immunized, but that the schedule should be spread out so they're not getting 6-9 shots in one visit.

My friend who is a nurse and has an autistic child suggested that kids should absolutely be immunized

Isn't it funny how medical professionals (my dad, a GP, included) all recommend immunisation. I wonder if they know what they're talking about...

Actually both my Dad and the father of my dead cousin are medical professionals and know what they are talking about as well.

God I just KNOW I am going to regret weighing in on this...but here it goes.

To think there are no consequences from immunizations, both short term and long term, known and unknown, is naive, with a touching but misplaced trust in the medical world and the pharmaceutical companies that dominate it. Those who also think all immunizations are suspect of everything and minimize and deny that certain diseases are real and can have life threatening consequences, are also naive and dangerous.

There is WAY too much information to go into here. The best book I have read on the subject that is not anti-vaccine, but also recognizes that the WAY we give vaccines, and the sheer number of them, may indeed be a problem, is the book by Dr. Bob Sears...Vaccines.

To me every situation is individual and there needs to be respect for parents who question the need for all the vaccines offered, the way they are given, and safety profile. There are many Docs that question the same thing. I blame the Government and medical community in conjunction with the pharmaceutical companies for bringing so many parents to this point of fear and confusion.

The poster who talked about the whooping cough vaccine that killed their relative. It was known for decades that the aP (acellular) pertussis vaccine was FAR safer, but as it was more expensive to make, the other brand stayed. So profits can and do go before safety at times. This is unacceptable to me. BTW the new vaccine is far safer. Another example is the polio vaccine. The oral polio vaccine (not now given), caused most of the cases of polio in the past few decades in the West, when it was known that the injected vaccine was killed and therefore could not pass on the virus.

There is a big difference in "risk" to a breast fed baby, who does not attend day dare, without older siblings...vs...a bottle fed child in daycare with an older sibling. Do both need all vaccines at the same time? Or can some be delayed? Avoided?

There was just a study out recently in a mainstream medical journal (not an anti-vaccine one) showing a significant increase in asthma when kids received a certain immunization earlier rather than later. (I leave it to you to find the study, it was big in the news in April).

My point is, the parents who question mostly are NOT fanatics, but real concerned people trying to do the best for their children. There are MANY unanswered questions surrounding vaccines and despite what people may think, there are not always good or even any studies showing long term safety or side effects. TO QUESTION THE MEDICAL AND PHARMACOLOGICAL LOBBY IS GOOD AND PUSHES FOR SAFER VACCINES AND GREATER AND MORE TRANSPARENT STUDIES.

The pharmacuetical companies do not make vaccines out of the goodness of their hearts, but for profit.

I have volumes to say on the issue, but too little time. Best of luck finding a supportive doc who will do their best to answer all your concerns and questions. The Doctor Sears website is a great source of information and support.

I had my two immunised with MMR but I was terrified of autism as a consequence... they are fine and kept up to date with everything. In Australia in any case they would possibly not be allowed to attend school without current immunisations, couldn´t have gone to kindergarten here and also in Australia, you wouldn´t receive any child allowance (kindergeld) without being on the Early Childhood Disease Prevention Register.

I did look into having them all done individually, ie one shot of each over time, however I didn´t bother in the end... Russian Roulette?

l think you are too trusting of the medical establishment

try reading http://www.thinktwice.com/

outbreaks of most common diseases were being reduced anyway due to better sanitation, healthcare and nutrition. Immunisation has many drawbacks.

But if you read what is mentioned on that website and then decide to have all the immunisations then fair-dos

how do explain the sudden jump in the number of cases of measles and mumps in the UK amongst the age group of children whose parents quite coincidentaly refused to give their kids the MMR jab?

The whole 'scare' about MMR was a media firestorm with utterly no basis in fact at all other than the bleatings of a renegade medical doctor (NOT A SCIENTIST) who drew unfounded conclusions from equivocal results and was subsequently disowned by his colleagues for doing so.

Get your child vaccinated. MMRs safety has been established over many years and by avoiding it or the separate measles, mumps and rubella vaccines you could expose your child to the far greater risk of catching one of these diseases that could render them deaf, blind, braindamaged or sterile.

I did look into having them all done individually, ie one shot of each over time, however I didn´t bother in the end... Russian Roulette?

oversensitivite mother more probable I guess (of course I understand why)

Had MMR vaccination as an adult with no ill-effects, but my mother had diphtheria and polio as a teen spending months in a clinic. As I had anti-bodies from her, I did not have this vaccination as a child and later caught a form of diphtheria during a trip to Germany in 1996. It's a notifiable disease in the UK and the treatment (isolation in a hospital, lots of jabs) wasn't fun at all. Especially as it was near to Christmas. Thankfully, I'm no longer a carrier, but it was pretty scary.

But it's up to each parent to make an informed choice.

The little 'un had the last of the MMR jabs yesterday. We didn't think twice about whether we were doing the right thing in getting her vaccinated.

She's not dead yet B)

Seriously - why are there still people who believe that MMR has a link to autism when there was never any evidence of a causal link and the theory has been so thoroughly and repeatedly debunked? See e.g. this piece in the BMJ for an analysis of the flaws in the latest round of scare stories.

The same people who refuse the carefully formulated, tested and controlled pharmaceuticals are probably the same ones who reach for the untested, uncontrolled and frequently downright dangerous "alternative" remedies, which are generally produced by big industrial profit-driven companies but marketed as "natural".