Taxes for post doctoral researchers

54 posts in this topic

Just wondering if post doctoral researchers get tax breaks or if they are treated as regular University staff. Anyone here a post-doc that could help me estimate the % of tax taken out of your paycheck? I have used the calculators before but I wasn't sure how accurate they are. It is just my hubby & I, no kids- so I show we will have about 43% taken out for taxes and social security :blink: Obviously I am hoping there is some kind of tax break because I am not sure I will be able to find employment and we will more than likely have to live off of his salary alone.

Heidelberg rent + student loans multiplied by the square root of credit card bills = expensive

Probably some more information is needed. Is your hubby's funding from the university or from a private foundation, such as the Humboldt or the DAAD?

I supposedyou are married, if yes then you allow you husband to have an additional annual taxe break of 15k Eur.

Otherwise the 43% looks like a normal figure to me. I am not a post-doc but a PhD student but the salaries are almost the same.

Finally you cannot compare taxes system between Germany and the state.

ps : welcome

Assuming he is working at a universtiy, he'll be being paid as BAT IIa (or whatever the new scheme to replace this is called). The amount you are paid was linked to your age under BAT IIa, but open for negotiation now (not sure what this means as I need to renew my contract in a few months time).

When I started work I thought I was going to live like a lord when I saw my salary and then German tax happens... Then the student loans company are so nice as to not consider the difference in tax rate when they consider your repayments. As a result I now earn less than when I was studying for my PhD.

We aren't sure how his salary will be paid- I mean, the postdoc is a joint venture between the U. of Heidelberg and BASF- I do not think it will be Humboldt or anything like that, he hasn't applied for any funding nor has he been asked to. Well, it looks like we might have to find a nice cave to live in so we don't have to pay rent...

thanks for your replies.

As a post doc with the Max Planck Society (by the way today it is just the 150th Birthday of Max), I do not pay tax, nor pension or anything else. Which is good, however it also means that you have to pay by yourself your own social insurance.

Etudeohp

I presume your husband will be paid under the TVÖD system (which replaced the BAT), and you (or he) will pay tax at the normal rate. If you have the details of where he will be in the salary matrix (which Entgeltgruppe and Stufe), you can make an estimate of the take home pay using the calculator. Don't know how good your german is, but select the Entgeltgruppe and Stufe, and:

Zusatzvers.: Keine

Arbeitszeit: 100% (assuming full time work)

Lohnsteuerklasse: This is the tax class, if you think you won't work, or will make significantly less than hubby select 'III', or if you might a comparable job select 'IV'

Krankenkasse: 13 (health insurance, this is a percantage, although the employer pays half, i think 13% is about the cheapest you can get right now)

Kinderfreibeträge: 0 (no kids)

and hit 'brechnen'. In the 2 sections (Monatsbeträge and Jahresbeträge) the 'netto bleiben' figure will give you an idea of the monthly/yearly take home.

Just wondering if post doctoral researchers get tax breaks

I don't see any reasons for a "tax-break" compared to other workers...

Krankenkasse: 13 (health insurance, this is a percantage, although the employer pays half, i think 13% is about the cheapest you can get right now)

Note that if OP does get a job and earns more than Eur 400,- per month (I believe) then OP needs her own health insurance...

Cheapest health insurance on the market, afaik, is 13.3%

Keep in mind that it isn't a 13.3% deduction of your salary, but half that (the employer pays the other half).

As far as figuring out the salary based on the TV-L or Bat, it appears that if I am reading this document correctly that a postdoc is TV-L13 (or could be L14/L15 if they have more experience) and TV-L13 has replaced BatIIa; so, it looks like the gross annual salary is 58,800 Euros for TV-L13 and this is what a regular postdoc would make. Then I would take 43% of that amount away and what is left would be the net salary- 33,516 Euros.

Do you guys read it the same way? I got the information from this website.

Thanks for all of your help- this board has been very helpful.

I'm a postdoc and I don't pay tax on my current funding, but I was originally going to be paid as a normal employee with tax. I'm pretty sure there is no special tax break or anything, so what has been said on this thread already is probably right.

As far as figuring out the salary based on the TV-L or Bat, it appears that if I am reading this document correctly that a postdoc is TV-L13 (or could be L14/L15 if they have more experience) and TV-L13 has replaced BatIIa; so, it looks like the gross annual salary is 58,800 Euros for TV-L13

Are you going to be at Aachen? Just because they do it that way there doesn't mean your pay will be the same. Yes, the same TV-L tables are used (in the East there are slightly different wages, though) if you are employed by the government (university directly), but what level and for how many hours can vary. You need to check with your future department. I know that getting concrete info out of those folks is worse than pulling teeth, but it's really your only definite way. Also good would be to talk to current postdocs in that department.

Also, how do you figure 58,800€? The first level for TV-L 13 is 2900€/month, so ca. 35,000€/year?

http://oeffentlicher-dienst.info/c/t/rechn...st&matrix=1

There's a nice calculator here:

http://oeffentlicher-dienst.info/tv-l/west/

TV-L 13, West, Stufe 1, Lohnsteuerklasse I, 13,8% Health insurance (there are cheaper and more expensive), full time-->net per month: 1755.99EUR

TV-L 14--> 1869.71 €

TV-L 15--> 2016.74 €

TV-L 12--> 1612.62 €

TV-L 11--> 1569.34 €

There are also special payments (Jahressonderauszahlung--the replacement of the former Weihnachtsgeld) that may give you a modest bit of extra income twice a year.

EDIT: Now I see where you got the 58,800€ from (http://www.dfg.de/forschungsfoerderung/formulare/download/60_12.pdf). This is not your starting salary! These appear to be the average costs for hiring employees in these categories--including employer social insurance contributions, employees in a higher level in the pay grade, extra payments, etc. etc.

Are you going to be at Aachen? Just because they do it that way there doesn't mean your pay will be the same. Yes, the same TV-L tables are used (in the East there are slightly different wages, though) if you are employed by the government (university directly), but what level and for how many hours can vary. You need to check with your future department. I know that getting concrete info out of those folks is worse than pulling teeth, but it's really your only definite way. Also good would be to talk to current postdocs in that department.

Also, how do you figure 58,800€? The first level for TV-L 13 is 2900€/month, so ca. 35,000€/year?

http://oeffentlicher-dienst.info/c/t/rechn...st&matrix=1

Well, on the link you provide it is 2900 Euros/month- but on the document I linked it has 58,800 Euros/ year for TV-L13... I figured the pay would be around the same, because the website mentions that pay listed is for Math & Science positions, and my husband is a chemist. It has been like pulling teeth to get a concrete answer... I guess we should just contact current postdocs, it seems to be the only way to figure this out- There is no way we could live off of only his salary at 35,000 Euros (with 43% taxed)... My husband seems to think that everything will work out... but I am so not a fly by the seat of my pants person, I want to know as much as I can about this... :unsure:

TV-L 13, West, Stufe 1, Lohnsteuerklasse I, 13,8% Health insurance (there are cheaper and more expensive), full time-->net per month: 1755.99EUR

TV-L 14--> 1869.71 €

TV-L 15--> 2016.74 €

TV-L 12--> 1612.62 €

TV-L 11--> 1569.34 €

There are also special payments (Jahressonderauszahlung--the replacement of the former Weihnachtsgeld) that may give you a modest bit of extra income twice a year.

Thank you so much for this information! It would help if I knew any German at all...

Oh, just wanted to note that the calculations I made in my last post look to be the same for Lohnsteuerklasse IV (which is where you'd be if your spouse is also working). If your spouse doesn't work, I think you'd be in class III, which would appear to give you a significant bump in net pay: 2050.94 € for TV-L 13 if my calculations are correct. (I'm single, so I'm not all that familiar with the different categories.)

I see you'll be in Heidelberg, so the tables for the west, which I used, are valid.

Well, on the link you provide it is 2900 Euros/month- but on the document I linked it has 58,800 Euros/ year for TV-L13... I figured the pay would be around the same, because the website mentions that pay listed is for Math & Science positions,

See my edited in comment-->these are total salary costs for the institution on average, not starting pay.

If you can get the department to figure out a) that he will be paid as a regular employee and what TV-L level they will use; B) confirm that will be at Stufe (level) I (very likely); and c) what percentage the appointment will be, then you can get a pretty accurate sense of pay.