Visting Sydney Australia Recommendations

26 posts in this topic

Hi Alegria, there are two more things you shouldn't miss in Sydney, this July: The Biennale of Sydney: http://www.bos2008.com/app/biennale and The Rocks Aroma Festival: http://www.therocks.com/

The Rocks are really worth visiting even without the festival. Lots of lovely pubs and shops. Hope you are having fun at your conference. My husband did his degree at UTS and I studied there for one year while he finished his course.

Hey guys, it's amazing here in Sydney!!! Love it!

A very urgent question:

Does anybody know if I can get a didgeridoo as a hand lugagge on a plane? And do they usually charge extra for that? (flying with qantas, but serviced by british ariways)

Also any tips for places in/near Sydney selling original but reasonably priced didgeridoos are more than welcome! (pls be quick if you have an idea where to look!)

Thanks

Ana

I seem to recall a higher end shop flogging them at darling harbour - "the outback shop" or something. You can tell the "authentic" ones by the price. There may be another similar shop at the rocks.

Failing that you can always pick one up at Tollwood in Munich. A didgeridoo stand at tollwood is as certain as rain.

Have seen many a tourist taking back a didg as hand luggage, so you should have no problems there.

Tomorrow I have a flight to Sydney and this will be my first time visiting.  I would really appreciate any travel tips, restaurant or bar recommendations, things to do etc.  

So far I have very little plans. I'm in Sydney for only two nights (actually one full day), I've booked an airport shuttle to take me to my hotel in Circular Quay located walking distance to the Opera House. Booked tickets on Tuesday to a ballet at the Opera House that's it so far. My hotel is walking distance to the Botanic Gardens thought I'd stroll around there a bit.  I'll be back in Sydney in two weeks to catch my flight back and will spend the day in Sydney since I have a late flight.

Thanks in advance.

55 minutes ago, Lavender Rain said:

Tomorrow I have a flight to Sydney and this will be my first time visiting.  I would really appreciate any travel tips, restaurant or bar recommendations, things to do etc.  

So far I have very little plans. I'm in Sydney for only two nights (actually one full day), I've booked an airport shuttle to take me to my hotel in Circular Quay located walking distance to the Opera House. Booked tickets on Tuesday to a ballet at the Opera House that's it so far. My hotel is walking distance to the Botanic Gardens thought I'd stroll around there a bit.  I'll be back in Sydney in two weeks to catch my flight back and will spend the day in Sydney since I have a late flight.

Thanks in advance.

Take the ferry to Manley, stop somewhere for a meal/snack. Great views of the harbour from the ferry- always my favourite  tour.  We stopped at      Taronga Zoo, but you may not have enough time.  Circular Quay has lots to see/eat/drink.   Take a city, open top bus tour- hop on and off.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely take the ferry early in the morning to Manley.  May go to the zoo when I get back from sailing will have a whole day to explore Sydney before I caught my flight.

Thanks again.