Visting Sydney Australia Recommendations

26 posts in this topic

Dear TTs,

I got the opportunity to travell to Sydney for a conference in July, and I was thinking to prolong my stay in Australia for a couple of days. It would be great if you could give me some tips on what to see & where to go :)

How much days would be the best to stay in Australia to manage to see some of the beautiful Australian land? I could take an extra week, or maybe even two, but I'm concerned whether it would be nice to travell when it's winter there. What are your recommendations? What kind of trips are possible to make from Sydney in a week time, what would be the best to see in "winter" time? what kind of transportation could I use?

Do you have any recommendation on some hotels or pensions in Sydney, where you can get a nice domestic feel of Australia and not get ripped off? (Quick help needed! Otherwise I'll probably get Ibis Hotel...). We always have considerable budget restrictions when we go on conferences, so it would be the best to find smth. nice, and central but not too expensive :) (...I know, the requirement are hard to fit together...)

Many thanks in advance for any tips&advice you can give me!!!

Cheers

Ana

I was in Sydney and Melbourne in June. Weather is ok. Mediterranean climate.

What's your budget? Are you planning to drive a rental car?

Sydney is beautiful and should keep you occupied for a week.

A tour to Ayers Rock will set you back at least an extra 600 Euro.

Lots of info under http://www.virtualtourist.com/

I dont really know NSW so I can't advise you on what to do there.

You could go up to Queensland for a bit of sun and beach. Depending what you like Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast or Port Douglas, it shouldnt be too cold there.

Or you could go to Melbourne to enjoy the football, food and culture (Melbourne is cold in winter, but no where near as cold as Germany!).

Or if you like nature, hiking, scenery and history give Tassie a go.

I have never been to Uluru (Ayers rock), but people I know who have been have been disappointed, and wished they spent more time on the coast.

Have a look at www.virginblue.com.au or www.jetstar.com.au for cheap flights. Or if you are lucky qantas might have something reasonable www.qantas.com.au

If you don't mind the cold. you could do a lot worse than try the Blue Mountains for Yulefest - Christmas in July. It's a two hour train ride from Sydney or there are many bus trips available. For real budget accommodation, YHA often have single, double and sometimes even ensuite rooms with no age restriction and staff that really know the area. The Sydney Central one, for example, has double ensuites for 100AUSD a night and under-occupying the room is no problem. The Katoomba YHA has won many awards and they were brilliant hosts for me.

Also consider Hunter Valley or the coastal route to QLD stopping along the way.

If you're only going for a week or two then I wouldn't start going to Queensland or Tasmania. It's not difficult to get there but it takes time (and money). If you really want to head far out along the coast, then take a bus to one of the northern NSW resorts like Byron Bay (almost Queensland!)

I agree with Katrina, the Blue Mountains are a good option: yes, they are cooler and wetter than the coast (it has been known to snow there) but there are regular trains up to (say) Katoomba which is a great base for couple of days.

If you are interested in quirky new towns then you could do worse than looking at Canberra. It's one of those places you either love or hate, but if the weather is not so good there are some good museums and of course the parliament there.

We went for 2 weeks we did Sydney where the bridge climb is a must, Blue Mountains were great. We then flew to Alice Springs then did a 3 day tour to Ayres Rock (including sleeping under the stars), then we flew back to Caines, got a train to Port Douglas, went swiming in the barrier reef, then flew back to Caines and back to UK. Its possible to do as much or as little as you want.

Well of course if travel budget is no problem then you can fly to anywhere in that time. Australia is your oyster. If you do go for internal flights then book them before you go. If I had just one flight out of Sydney at that time I'd go for Cairns, no doubt about it. The wet season should be over by July.

Thank you all for the helpful tips! Actually I was thinking to go see Ayres rock, but now I'm not really sure about it. I'll be in Sydney for about 5-6 days for the conference, and after that I can take a couple of vacation days for seeing Australia and get back to Sydney for the flight. It looks like it'll be about 5-6 days of vacation, not more, as the flight prices in the one week after are somehow much higher.

@Dotty: your trip sounds wonderful! :)

it'd be great if you could write me in a PM how you made it and what kind of transportation did you take, just that I have some idea about it.

Does it make sense to head to Melbourne with a train and then drive by the great ocean road, see Grampians national Park and yarra valley wineries, and then get back to Sydney? Or would it be nicer to go from Sydney to Adelaide (with a visit to kangaroo Island), then to Alice Springs and Ayers rock and back? I don't think I'm brave enough for renting a car there /I'll just get a fresh new drivers license in Jun/, but bus/train and plane are the options :) ...and Blue Mountains sound freezing :))) Just joking, I already had my portion of cold air for this year, but maybe 1 day visit would be still nice.

Actually, the more I'm thinking about it, the idea about making one nice 5-day trip from Sydney and back by bus/train/ship sounds better to me. Just the question is which stops would make for a perfect trip including a bit of coast, kangaroos, authentic aboriginal villages, valleys and beautiful rocks, for a great Australia experience?

Hm , ideas welcome, and I'm heading again to travel overland to see how to stay 3 months in Australia to see all these nice things :))

authentic aboriginal villages

If I were you I would steer clear of any aboriginal "villages", probably the nicest description I've ever heard about them is being called a hole. Also, don't think there really is anything really as an authentic aboriginal village, seeing as they were a nomadic people (i think that is, they had their own areas but didn't really stay in any one particular spot for too long, but I may be wrong). Big problems with alcohol and violence in these communities.

Also, with only 5-6 days to see stuff, it's going to be hard for you to cover any great distances, seeing that even from Sydney to Melbourne is about 10 or so hours by car. As a Melbourne boy, I think the great ocean road is nice, to see the twelve apostles and other formations like the blowhole, and apparently the Grampians is worth a view as well. If you're going to go to Melbourne, be sure to catch a game of footy at the MCG...that will pretty much sum up Austalia in 3 hours worth of sport!

I went to Ayers Rock, sorry, Uluru, one August and it was freezing at night. Literally. We camped and it was uncomfortable. And hotels there are extortionate. So that's another reason for you not to go there this time, although it would be the better option for getting a feel for the Outback.

Dave is right, 5-6 days is not a lot to get around Australia, but hopping to Melbourne is not a bad idea. If you're not renting a car then you'd have to fly, as the bus takes the best part of a day. But the Great Ocean Road is indeed nice. I stayed in the Grampians once and yeah, they're okay but they're just forest and hills, not worth a trip across half the country to see. You might do better to look a the old mining and sheep towns like Bendigo and Ballarat to be honest. As for the Yarra Valley wineries, well I go there every time I'm in Melbourne, but that's just me B)

Adelaide is much smaller and sleepier than Melbourne so the city itself wouldn't take you long to experience. Kangaroo Island is very nice, but it's best if you like driving in sand, so maybe next time. You also stand a good chance of seeing wild koalas there. And Adelaide has its wine areas too, so you wouldn't lose out on that compared to Melbourne.

We'll never run out of ideas for things to see and do Down Under! Three months is a very good length of time to go for. And go at a time of year when it's not pissing down in Darwin and freezing in Alice.

Theres a guest house in Tempe,close to the Airport called Kriskindl. It costed me 150 AUS dollar per week for a single room with breakfast and Chinese dinner back in 1997. Great place

I live in Melbourne, it's cold in July. Sydney won't be quite so cold. I would suggest you stick to visiting Queensland or Northern Territory for warmer weather. In Queensland go to places around Cairns & Port Douglas. This is also the area for the Great Barrier Reef, where you can take boats out to see the beautiful marine life etc. For cheap accommodation you can look at the website for youth hostels, www.yha.com.au

For cheap airline tickets try, www.jetstar.com.au

If you want to see more aboriginal type things go to Darwin in the Northern Territory and do a tour south from there to see Kakadu National Park and crocodiles etc.

I hope you enjoy your time here.

There is a Catholic Youth conference on in Sydney in July, not sure if that is what you are going for. There are expected to be 500,000 visitors for it so if you are not going to it I suggest you leave Sydney and head north to Queensland for some sun, sea and surf.

I would recommend the Sullivans Hotel on Oxford Street. http://www.sullivans.com.au/homes.htm It's right in the middle of Sydney's best cafes, bars, clubs, restaurants, shops and galleries. On saturdays you can visit the famous paddington markets http://www.paddingtonmarkets.com.au/

Oxford Street is regarded as the epicentre of Sydney chic and cool, drawing the famous and infamous, including the Entertainment Quarter (formerly known as Fox Studios) glitterati, all enjoying the dynamic atmosphere that is uniquely "Saturday in Paddington".

The rates for the Sullivans are very reasonable compared to other sydney hotels. The staff is very friendly and they offer to take you on a free tour through Paddington, one of Sydney's most beautiful old suburbs.

For car rental I would recomend bayswater http://www.bayswatercarrental.com.au/default.aspx their cars are great and their rates start at 15 AUD a day.

I was over in Sydney for last New Year's you will LOVE IT :D

I'm unsure if these have been mentioned yet:

- the Opera House tour

- the Bridge climb!!! (i did the night one, and the skyline was just incredible!)

- the koala park santuary (the furry lil guys really make you melt!)

- take the ferry over to Manly Beach for a relaxing day at the beach, a hike, and some shopping!

- wine tour to Hunter Valley

Eating:

- Max Brenner's for hot coco, better yet, get the Suckao!

- Pizza place near to the Rocks (on the upper level) that has crazy pizzas with crocodile, kangaroo, and all sorts of wacky things...

My brain is kinda fried so that's all for now!

Regardless of what you do though, I'm sure u'll have a blast!

Hi guys, many thanks for all the tips!!! Sounds awesome! I'm still out of hotel (my fault for not checking earlier), so I hope I'll still be able to find something affordable.

>The rates for the Sullivans are very reasonable compared to other sydney hotels. The staff is very friendly and they offer to take you on a free tour through Paddington, one of >Sydney's most beautiful old suburbs.

Many thanks for the tip on the Sullivans Hotel!

Btw, is Sydney really that expensive? Even with EUR->AUD conversion, the online prices look quite steep!

The conference that I'm visiting is at the Sydney's University of Technology at Haymarket. So if that gives you some additional ideas, please send me a quick message :)

Here is another nice thing to do near Sydney in July: http://www.dolphincruises.com.au/

Seasonally we witness the migration of the majestic Humpback whales along the East Coast, this occurs from June to mid November.

As Jervis Bays original whale watching company our knowledge and understanding of the whales migration ensures you get the most from your experience.

WOW! This Paddington market looks like a truly awesome place!!! I'm really looking forward to it!!! Dolphins too! :)

Thanks marie-claire for the links, hotel.com.au gives a good overview - it is really quite pricey over there, but must be great :) I'm thinking now between Ibis and Aarons as they (tightly) fit in the acceptable price range, and are quite near the University of Technology :)

Btw, what's the policy in Austrlia: Are there single rooms (1 bed only) at all, or you get a double/twin by default?

Okee, I found *really* cute hostel near the University with private rooms :) Now waiting for the confirmation...

The homepage looks awesome, hope it will be great in reality too!