Car parking signs and regulations in Germany

11 posts in this topic

Hello ,

I would like to know all parking rules in germany especially on the street. I tried to find but could not find some good ones on net all the signs.

I am always confused about the parking rules especially on the street.

for e.g. some board say Parkschein werktags 8-16 hrs and then something about bewohner mit ausweis frie. =I have no idea what this means, is it allowed to park only on working days, can we park on weekends. and when do i need to buy parking ticket for weekdays or weekends.

If anyone knows some good link to the site please let me know

thanks in advance

"Werktage" includes saturdays. basically your example is parking where you have to pay mondays to saturdays from 8am till 4pm (public holidays) unless you possess a valid residents parking ID for that street/area. There should be a machine where you can pay by the hour.

You must park facing the direction of traffic flow.. unless it is a 30km zone and you can park facing either direction!

Well, we got a parking ticket on the weekend, for parking outside of a marked parking area (or something to that effect). I am not complaining about a 10 Euro ticket (we actually paid it, although it's not something I would like to repeat on a regular basis). So, I was wondering if someone might be able to illuminate me as to the regulation. We parked on a priority road in an urban area. There were marked white parking spaces from time to time, some on one side of the road, some on the other. On the opposite side of the road, there was a marked "no parking" sign, but where we parked, there was no sign. I just can't quite figure out what the rule is - clearly parking outside marked areas is permitted in certain circumstances (e.g., the road we live on is populated with such examples). But is this not allowed if some marked parking spaces exist on the road? The road was not very narrow or anything. If anyone has any ideas, I would be very grateful to hear them!

Could anyone explain please, how to properly read the combinations of parking signs here in Germany?

See this example: http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/german-traffic-signs-picture-id459380911. Does it mean that

A. parking is ONLY allowed during the indicated times, and with the maximum allowed duration of 2 hours,

or B. parking during the indicated times is limited in hours, but parking outside the indicated times is allowed for any duration and without the parking disc being required?

B. is correct.

You read the signs from top to bottom.

1) Parking is allowed.

2) There's a two-hour limit and a parking disc is required.

3) This is applicable Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

If it were a no-parking zone at other times, there would have to be a no-parking sign to indicate that.

Were you ticketed for parking on Saturday? Because Saturday is a Werktag in Germany. That throws a lot of people.

Thank you very much El Jeffo for your answer!

On 9/22/2017, 1:42:57, El Jeffo said:

Were you ticketed for parking on Saturday? Because Saturday is a Werktag in Germany. That throws a lot of people.

No, I haven't been fined, I was just trying to figure out the rule here. But thanks for the pointer regarding the workdays - that's a great tip!

On 22/09/2017, 13:42:57, El Jeffo said:

Because Saturday is a Werktag in Germany. That throws a lot of people.

Well bugger me. 8 years here and I didn't know that. Guess I've been lucky not to receive a ticket so far.

3 minutes ago, theGman said:

Well bugger me. 8 years here and I didn't know that. Guess I've been lucky not to receive a ticket so far.

I got stung once in Mannheim, way back in 1992. Fortunately, it only cost about DM10 at the time.

My German wife didn't know it either.