German language schools in the Bremen area

18 posts in this topic

I am currently in the US but looking too move to Bremen soon. Can anyone recommend a good language school for German in the Bremen area? I am hoping to find one that is not too expensive.

Thanks,

Adam

I have been in Germany for 7 months, and I can recommend a German course run through the local KVHS (or equivilent in Bremen) - look for "Deutsch als Fremdsprache", Grundstufe A1.

You learn slowly, using the Schritte series by Hueber (available through amazon), and each semester shoud cost around €60.

I hope that helps :)

KVHS = Kreisvolkshochschule

I don't know what the situation in Bremen is, but I am sure they have an equivilent - Niedersachsen is split into a series of "counties" (Kreis). I live in Bad Gandersheim, which lies within Northeim Kreis, so I attend at the KVHS in Northeim. Bremen has two counties, Bremerhaven and Bremen itself.

Come to think of it, a handy site for local information is meinestadt.de, you should be able to find information regarding the local KVHS's from there.

Dear Friends,

I am looking for German language schools, in Bremen which conduct courses in the evening for the basic level. It would be helpful if anyone can help me with a list of German language schools in Bremen.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Or google of course - "Deutsch als Fremdsprache" is what its called. The VHS (state provider) is one option. Private schools another.

Has anyone attended German language schools in Bremen (e.g. Aristoteles, Casa, VHS, etc..) and want to share their experiences? I want to avoid Goethe for price reasons, also wish to avoid schools like Berlitz and such for the way they treat/pay their teachers (just.. based on what I heard in TT). Thanks in advance

Hello Nichtsdestoweniger,

I can highly recommend the VHS (Volkshochschule -> community education) in Bremen. I ended up taking 4 German classes there (somewhere around 1000 hours). My teacher Claudia Oefele was awesome. She has the patience to explain things, has been teaching for a long time and has a lot good examples/explainations. Although it is not encouraged, she can explain things in English (when neccessary). The classes are significately cheaper than Goethe. The (small) downfall is the size of the classes. At the beginning of the semester there are usually 20 (or so) people enrolled. Therefore, everything moves at a slower pace. Towards the end of the semester, there are usally 6-10 left and the class moves faster and the people left are more dedicated.

I know you mentioned not going to Berlitz but I can recommend Inlingua (I think they are now located by the windmill...). They are more expensive than the VHS but not as expensive as the Goethe. I taught English there for 2.5 years and had no problems/complaints. I also took German classes there and the teachers are stricter (former English/German teacher in the public schools) but that is not exactly a bad thing. The advantage is the teachers have a lot more flexibility. You have a book and work through it, but if you wanted helped for a job interview, discuss current events, etc, the teachers will be open to help. The classes are a maximum of 6 people (or maybe 10...). When I was still living/working there, they offered open classes in the evenings. They can also be more flexible with your schedule (but that most likely costs more, because it could be private class).

Viel Glueck (Good luck),

Adam

Hello,

I attended Aktiv Deutsch for A2 level. It was quite ok and the students' profile was good, too. I think student profile is very much important according to your expectations. In aktiv Deutsch my class was consisting of university grads and students who want to study in German universities. Therefore, the level was hlgh and met my expectations. I hope it helps.

Btw, the cost is 440 Euro per level (2 months).

All the best,

Zeynep

I tried to search for more information on German courses at VHS, but it was all in German and obviously I couldn't understand it since I'm looking to learn the language from scratch. Could anyone advise me how much is a course at VHS and how long is it?

Welcome to Toytown, SingaporeanGirl

Unfortunately, unlike 99% of German webpages, the URL of the Bremer VHS webpage does not allow for automatic machine translation by pasting it into www.translate.google.com. However you can copy/paste (~300-500 word) sections of any German text into translate.google.com to get the Googlemachine's Yoda version. Here's a slightly improved translation of the intro from the Deutsch als Fremdsprache Grundbildung page.

Welcome to Bremen!

German Courses in Bremen Community College

Do you live for a short time in Bremen as a foreign expert, student or au pair and are not entitled to free attendance of an integration course? Then refer to our privately financed language courses for a suitable offer.

Our German intensive courses* (levels A1 to C1) take place during the semester morning or afternoon on three or four days a week. They include 15 or 20 lessons per week. During the months of July and August we also offer summer courses where you can learn in a week of intensive German in five days.

Our part-time courses** (levels A1 to C1) take place during the semester twice a week in the evening. These courses are aimed at business professionals.

Our special courses***, offer targeted training in writing, oral exp​ression and communication skills or to brush up on your grammar skills.

*Intensivkurse A1-C1

**Teilzeitkurse am Abend

***Spezialkurse

On each of the above links (clicking Weiter where shown below to view the next page/s) you can see a list showing dates, days, times, number of lessons per course or week and costs of all the courses offered. As far as I can see the only detail in those listings that may not be obvious to a non-German reader is that UE/Kurs or UE/Woche means Lessons (per) Course or Lessons (per) Week. One UE or Unterrichts Einheit (Lesson Unit), for practically all educational purposes in Germany, takes up 45 minutes. Such periods are often referred to in German educational institutes as an 'academic hour'. You can find out more about each individual course by clicking on the Details button on the right of the listing.

I'd guess, from their presentation, that the *advisory and registration staff of the **department for 'German as a foreign language' would be able and willing to answer any specific e-mail inquiry written in plain English.

*Beratung und Anmeldung: **Fachbereich Deutsch als Fremdsprache Tel.: +49 (0)421 361-3624 oder daf@vhs-bremen.de

HTH

2B

Thanks so much 2B!! Definitely very useful information for me!!

I joined this forum yesterday. It was recommended to me on another forum, as a good site on which seniors could practice the German language. I realise now that this forum doesn't cater to the actual teaching of German; however, I suppose it's possible to come across someone here who would be interested in helping me with my German in return for my help with their English. I am a retired Canadian High School mathematics teacher. All I really want, is the opportunity to write in German... I can already communicate somewhat in German. Cheers.

Same question here... I am a retired chemist with little knowledge of German language...