Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Residential areas around Nuremberg and Erlangen

12 posts in this topic

We are relocating to Erlangen later this year and have begun to search for houses.

My question is what are the best suburbs/villages to look at if we want

1. safe and friendly area

2. No more than 30 minute drive into central Nurnberg and also Erlangen - we both work and don't have children

3. Free standing house

4. Some kind of village centre

also

Which suburbs and areas are negatively impacted by aircraft noise from Nurnberg Airport in this region

Which suburbs should we avoid in general? Bruck has been noted as not being as suburb we would want to live in.

Thanks for your thoughts and impressions.

We are relocating to Erlangen later this year and have begun to search for houses.

Number one, you need to know that the property market in D is utterly different to the UK and the US (and Im guessing OZ, where you appear to be from). Its much less common to own property here and much more common to rent and the whole infrastructure reflects that.

My question is what are the best suburbs/villages to look at if we want

1. safe and friendly area

To be honest, if you avoid the south and east of Nuremberg and the south of Erlangen, you can hardly go wrong. Between Nuremberg, Fürth and Erlangen there are Hundreds of lttle villages that will offer what you want.

It all comes down to - how much money do you want to spend and do you want to buy or rent?

2. No more than 30 minute drive into central Nurnberg and also Erlangen - we both work and don't have children

You are unlikely to be able to get this. Nuremberg and Erlangen are about 20-30 mins apart anyway and thats just on the motorway. Getting from the motorway to where you need to be can take time. The main motorway, the A73, clogs up badly during rush hour, mainly from Bamberg to Nuremberg in the Morning and in the reverse direction in the evening.

There are some nice places to live in Erlangen, especially to the north (Dechsendorf, for instance), but this puts you on the wrong side for Nuremberg. I can heartily recommend Fürth, having lived there myself for 20 years, and you should be able to get to most places in Erlangen in around 30 mins from here, Nuremberg can take longer in the rush hour depending in where you want to go exactly. The big plus of actually being in Fürth or Nuremberg is that there is an excellent public transport system. I work in the south of Nuremberg and it can take 40-60 mins to get by car where I can get to in 20 mins by subway. There are express trains to Erlangen from Fürth (12 mins) and Nuremberg (20 mins) too, but you will need to get to the station first.

Also consider Zirndorf, which is south west of fürth but still has a decent train and motorway infrastructure.

3. Free standing house

This may be your problem. Free standing houses are not as common in D as in the UK and US and tend to be well outside the towns and/or very expensive. youre looking at something like €350-750k for anything reasonable and then it is unlikely to be only 30 mins from Nuremberg or Erlangen. Erlangen is generally more expensive due to the doctors, professors and Siemens Managers. There are houses for rent, but they are not common and youll usually get more bang for your buck renting a large flat.

4. Some kind of village centre

Lots of places around this area are actually villages, they are unlikely to have much more than a church and a bar nowadays though.

> also Which suburbs and areas are negatively impacted by aircraft noise from Nurnberg Airport in this region

Buchenbühl and Ziegelstein mainly, Erlenstegen can be good or bad, depending on exactly where you are

Which suburbs should we avoid in general? Bruck has been noted as not being as suburb we would want to live in.

Bruck is not too hot, Some bits of Stadeln you wouldnt want, most of the south and southeast of Nuremberg can be a bit naff, Hardhöhe in Fürth isnt your Nr. 1 place to be.

Mostly where you end up will depend on what sort of compromises you are prepared to make in your choice of housing. New stuff is going up in Fürth, in Nuremberg Tilly park, Dechsendorf and other places in Erlangen, Should be plenty of choice, but few free-standing houses.

The places you will get free-standing houses close to the town are the "Villenviertel" - Mainly Dambach in Fürth, Mögeldorf in Nuremberg and Büchenbach, Alterlangen and Bubenreuth in Erlangen. The trouble is, everyone wants to live here and you are, if you can find anything at all, unlikely to get anywhere under about 500k.

andy M

When I first moved to Nürnberg/Erlangen 3 1/2 years ago I rented an apartment on probably the busiest intersection in Nürnberg (Plärrer). And it was very quite with a Garden as it was hidden behind the front buildings.

I work in Erlangen and the commute was 20 to 25 minutes because of the easy access to the A73 and if you are commuting out of Nürnberg it is better than in. Of an afternoon it tended to take a little longer but not horrendously. Last year we purchased a new build house in a small "village" called Boxdorf which is almost central to both cities. With public transport in both directions it could not be any better.

Now some people will tell you that the airport noise is an issue but we can sit in our garden and carry on a normal conversation even with aircraft taking off to the south of us. There is a lot of new houses going up in the next village (Neuhoff) I think it is called, Not sure about the prices but you can think around 300 up wards for a decent "Rhine House" (similar to an multi level town house in the US, ours is over 4 levels including basement. One of the neighbour houses is a rental and I think they are paying around 1100 but not sure.

Drop me a PM if you would like more info.

Balk

Thanks for the information and the time and thought providing it. I have spent one day in Nurnberg and now we are looking at houses.. maybe not such a smart move.

We currently live in a free standing house in Kettwig on the Ruhr River in NRW. It is a wonderful village to live in, great services, not too busy, friendly neighbours, excellent transport links and I guess I am hoping for something similar in Nurnberg, again maybe not such a smart place from which to begin house hunting.

Problem 1. We have large furniture and if we look at an apartment it would need to be about 140-150 sq metres.. and that is expensive and difficult to find.

problem 2. I think I have been spoiled with our current free standing and the chance to make a little noise and BBQ when we want. something apartment living curtails

so it seems a house is necessary.. but difficult.

I will check out your suggestions and keep my eyes open in those areas on our next visit there.

Problem 1. We have large furniture and if we look at an apartment it would need to be about 140-150 sq metres.. and that is expensive and difficult to find.

These shouldnt nbe difficult to find - There are plenty of "Altbauwohnungen" around and if they have their original layout they are often even larger than that. Most of them have however been "Luxusrenoviert" in the last few years and they can get pricey to rent and unbezahlbar to buy.

andy M

I have seen some of those Luxusrenoviert and you are right pricey...We are looking to buy though we may end up in rental at the rate we are going, at least for the short term. I am guessing most of these places are also inner city. Being spoiled by my own garage for the last 5 years I am not keen to return to finding a parking place each day after work or scratching the ice in winter. I know my list of wants grows ever longer. Guess it will become more reasonable when the time gets closer..

L

I'm a Los Angeleno looking to relocate to the Nuremberg area for a while, but would ideally prefer the village life. Are there many charming rural areas within around 20 minutes from the city? Any suggestions on locations or how to look for housing in these areas (do you have to go there, or do they also tend to be listed online?)

Also, are Nuremberg and surrounding areas mostly flat, or are there many hilly areas? It's hard to tell from the pictures online.

Thanks!

Robin

P.S. are there any particular down-sides to living in Nuremberg that I should know about? i'm not interested in a night-club scene, but I'm looking for culture, natural beauty, good food, etc.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

... are there many hilly areas? ...

The Franconian Switzerland is one of the oldest and most popular holiday areas in Germany.It was given its name by Romantic artists and poets in the 19th century who compared its landscape to Switzerland.

The Franconian Switzerland is the region with the highest density of private breweries in the world.

There are lots of pretty areas around Nuremberg, and Franconian Switzerland is lovely.

To name two places:

Gräfenberg, in the part of Franconian Switzerland closest to Nuremberg, is very pretty. It might be a bit far out for you, though. And in mid-winter, as with all rural, hilly areas with potentially a lot of snow, commuting to Nuremberg could be difficult.

And Schwabach, just south of Nuremberg, is also very pleasant, so you might want to check out the villages around it.

As for the nearby smaller cities, Erlangen is rich and is also quite vibrant as it is a student town, but - to put it mildly - lacks an edge and is absolutely dominated by one company. Fürth has some pleasant parts, especially Gustavstrasse - and the south side of town is definitely on the rise - but is considered the worst place in the world by Nurembergers, for various reasons. I personally find both cities fine.

Places to avoid living are the border area between Nuremberg and Fürth, which is horrible and contains a sewage works (and doesn't fit your criteria, anyway), and anywhere under the flightpath of Nuremberg Airport (roughly the areas due east and west of the airport for a few miles).

I don't know of any general downsides to Nuremberg, and enjoyed living in the area for several months over the past year.

As for housing, try the online rental sites. They will all be listed on the forum somewhere.

thanks for the helpful comments. i will definitely look into these areas. anyone know how one would look for an apartment in a village? do you just have to go there directly? and would it be difficult to find anything furnished there?

thanks!

robin

Oberasbach, Zirndorf, Cadolzburg, Stein b. Nuremberg, Feucht, Schwabach just to name a few areas. In the classified section of a newspaper. Wohnungen (1ZKB, 2ZKB, 3ZKB and so on) (x)ZKB = where x is the number of rooms(zimmer) Z = zimmer & KB = kitchen & bath. Normally, you would call the annoucement and make arrangements to view the apartment (wohnung), house (haus) etc. and the landlord will choose from the lot of potentials, because probably you will not be the only one viewing the object. Furnished apartments, they have them, but not as plentiful as unfurnished.

Also, are Nuremberg and surrounding areas mostly flat, or are there many hilly areas? It's hard to tell from the pictures online.

Not true. There are no real mountains around, but the landscape is pretty good, serene and cosy. I know many people, who are not really interested to live close to the mountains, but in a landscape like this. Also, there are good number of biking paths and festivals happening (specially in summer). The hardest thing would be to deal with some of the typical grumpy Frankish people (serious, all the time). If you are not living alone and if you can make a few friends, it shouldn't be that hard.

There are many charming rural areas, all over the region. If you are looking for places, south of Nuremberg, towns like Spalt, Roth, Schwabach, etc ..and many villages around will offer what you want. On the northern side, I would suggest something between Erlangen and Frankische-Schweiz (Franconian Switzerland). Erlangen is a university town/city and almost all university towns/cities are pretty good in Germany. I would prefer somewhere between Erlangen and Frankische-Schweiz, as you can have the best of both (urban and rural) worlds, great nature, culture, castles, beer, festivals (including medieval festivals), etc. Also, I found that the people are a bit better around Erlangen. Apart from this, also check 'Bamberg', which is a cute place.

Gräfenberg, in the part of Franconian Switzerland closest to Nuremberg, is very pretty. It might be a bit far out for you, though. And in mid-winter, as with all rural, hilly areas with potentially a lot of snow, commuting to Nuremberg could be difficult.

Gräfenberg and its surroundings are indeed pretty. But I've been warned by a couple of my German friends that there is a Nazi group, based at this place...not sure about this and I didn't care, when I went there, a couple of times (and had a nice time, around).