Chicken soup recipes

15 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am looking for an easy to make and tasty chicken soup recipe.

Cheers

am home with a cold and could use some chicken soup. wanna share your favorite recipes? i hope i have all ingredients here.

I have some homemade chicken stock in the freezer and plan to make some soup today. Question: I have boneless, skinless breasts that I want to use. Do I, a) chop them up raw and then add them to the boiling stock to cook them. Or B) cook them first (I don't have an oven, only a stove) and then add them?

when I try tossing in chicken breasts into the stock to cook, they seem to cloud the stock a bit. I cook them separately and then add. I dont even chop up the carrots and potatoes any more. just peel/halve and simmer until still a little firm in the center when poked with a fork. one or two mashes with a potatoe masher breaks them up into nice chunks.

That's what I was afraid of, that putting the raw meat in would create some of that "scummy" stuff. Guess I will take the extra time and cook first. Thanks, tech71.

Just pour the stock through a sieve after cooking the meat.

For an ordinary German style chicken soup, I cook the meat in one piece with an onion, a carrot, piece of celery root, bay leaf, some Maggi vegetable soup extract. When the meat is done, I cut it up, pass soup through a sieve and add vegetables like chopped carrots, peas, leak, cauliflowers, plus a bit of chilli (my personal taste), only letting it cook for a short while so that the vegs are still al dente. During the last minutes, I add those thin Fadennudeln. Sprinkle some parsley over it, eat.

Here is a recipe I made for my wife when she was ill. It was almost immediately effective.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/features/growyourowndrugs/episode1.shtml

My patented Cure-All-Including-Neurotic-Singers soup involves breaking up a chicken, whether the remains of a roasted one or a scraggly intended-for-soup fowl (breaking it up releases things from the bones, things which are Mysteriously Good For You). Cover with water, chuck in roughly chopped ginger and garlic and as many chilis as you can handle (I don't even bother peeling anything). Boil with lid on for at least half an hour, longer is better, strain, add soy sauce to taste and sip. Proper germ-zapper, that is. You'll stink, mind, but it's worth it!

Get a whole chicken, remove the chunk of fat from it's arse and set aside, then whack the bird in a pot with a whole head of garlic, a couple of spring onions, and a few chunky fresh ginger slices. Cook for 45 mins or so, then stick the chicken in cold water (gives it a springier texture). Rub it with a bit of sesame, set aside.

Render the reserved chicken fat, then fry some chopped onion & garlic in it, add some washed rice, toss to coat, then add some liquid from the stockpot, and, well, you know, cook it like you cook rice.

Mix a little of the stock with some garlic and chilli paste for a diping sauce. Serve the stock, seasoned, as a soup, the chicken cold, sliced, with soy sauce & seasame oil, sliced cucumbers, the rice, and the chilli sauce.

Deceptively simple. Surprisingly awesome.

I would have thought that the basic no hassle chicken soup method would have been mentioned by now. It isn't a world changing soup, but when your home alone and sick it's easy enough to cook and better than anything that would come out of a tin.

large carrot

large onion

1 clove garlic

2 tbs olive oil

800 ml chicken stock

handful of noodles

salt

pepper

thyme

ginger powder

cayenne pepper

some kind of pre cooked chicken (rotisserie is quite nice)

Chop the carrot, onion, and garlic. In a soup pot sweat down the carrot, onion and garlic in olive oil, adding salt, pepper to taste and pinch of thyme. once onions are nice and soft add chicken stock 1/4 tsp of ginger, and cayenne. bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and then add chicken and noodles. let simmer for at least 20 minutes.

For the extra lazy factor or the I'm to sick to do anything, you can get chicken stock at kaufland that has precooked chicken chunks in it. Saves you even having to think about a chicken.