Owing self-employment tax to the U.S.

129 posts in this topic

Quick update on my end. Instead of sending me the D/USA 101 A form directly, I was mailed a form to fill out to request this form. It was just one page front and back. I filled it out, sent it back to the Hamburg address listed on it, and about a week later received the D/USA 101 A form stamped and completed.

So... not quite as efficient as it seemed from the phone call, but it took me less than two weeks to get the form I needed.

This year I still haven't gotten the certificate after 2 months of my first request by fax.  Normally I would get it in 2 weeks. I sent a letter 4 weeks ago in case the fax didn't work, to the Hamburg office.

In the past years, I started sending letters to berlin and the certificate was signed by berlin. But later years they were signed by Hamburg, so I then started faxing the request to Hamburg.

I wonder if the process has changed, or if I should now send another letter to berlin.

I received the form now from the Lübeck branch although it says "Nord", after 3 months of sending the fax, or 1.5 months after sending the letter by post, both to the Hamburg branch.

Hello everyone,

I have been living in Germany since 2020 as a freelancer and I am not currently paying into the german system. I didn't realize that I could get the D/USA 101 A form and be exempt from paying self employment taxes to the US. Does anyone know if its possible to get the form dating back to when i moved here and get a refund on the self employment taxes I've paid for 2020 and 2021? 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Cduncanson said:

Does anyone know if its possible to get the form dating back to when i moved here and get a refund on the self employment taxes I've paid for 2020 and 2021? 

In the past I was able to request the certificate for previous years that somehow went missing, and I wanted a copy just in case. I simply wrote it in my letter. I wonder if it's possible to request multiple years in the same certificate if you wrote for example January 01, 2020 to December 31, 2021.

I don't know if it's possible to refund self employment tax, but I would guess that you may try a 1040-x. You should ask a professional for an actual answer.

On 1.5.2022, 16:06:14, Cduncanson said:

Does anyone know if its possible to get the form dating back to when i moved here and get a refund on the self employment taxes I've paid for 2020 and 2021? 

Yes. They are fully refundable taxes. Use Form 1040X and attach a copy of the DUSA 101. When requesting the D-USA101 simply ask that it cover 2020 and 2021 and then one year at a time at the end of subsequent calendar years.

Hello, 

Ive read through and followed this topic extensively...but cannot get it right. I am self-employed in Germany, USA citizen. I live in Germany permanently now since last year and only work here (albeit with American clients). I am trying to get the form D/USA 101 from Germany. I asked my accountant to help me - she sent the form mentioned in an earlier post (here) to the Berlin DRV Bund. They replied that they needed the form completed more accurately...which I agree, but I am not sure what to put - as the form is more geared towards someone being posted the USA from originally in Germany - which is entirely not my case. 

Question 4 on the above form asks about date of posting, which was left blank...because I am not posted. What should I put here? Do I need to use this form or can I just write a letter? Any help appreciated (especially from Straightpoop)!

33 minutes ago, Alioster said:

I've read through and followed this topic extensively...but cannot get it right. I am self-employed in Germany, USA citizen. I live in Germany permanently now since last year and only work here (albeit with American clients). I am trying to get the form D/USA 101 from Germany. 

That's the wrong form.

Simply write DRV the letter that Straightpoop proposes and in it, ask for form D/USA 101-A.

On 5/6/2022, 8:23:13, Straightpoop said:

Yes. They are fully refundable taxes. Use Form 1040X and attach a copy of the DUSA 101. When requesting the D-USA101 simply ask that it cover 2020 and 2021 and then one year at a time at the end of subsequent calendar years.

Thank you for your response!

I sent the letter in May 1st but still havent heard anything. Is that normal? Hoping it comes soon so i can amend my tax returns.