Advice on joining a "Mietverein" in Munich

16 posts in this topic

A colleague in work told me that it is a good idea to be a member of a Mietverein if you are renting in Germany. Apparently it can be very costly if you end up having a dispute with your landlord/lady :(

So I googled a bit and found two in Munich

Mieterverein München (www.mieterverein-muenchen.de) in Sonnenstr.

and

Mieter helfen Mietern (www.mhmmuenchen.de) in Weiβenburgerstr

So my question are

1. Is it really useful to join a Mietverein?

2. Does it make a difference which one you join?

3. Are there any others in Munich worth looking into?

It is probably worth joining one, especially if you predict problems in the future. It doesn't cost very much and could save a lot of stress and/or save you money. The MVM charge €62 per year plus a one-off €15 fee. The first one you linked to is the only one I know.

I'm in MHM. Maybe paid more money over the years that I have gained from advice. Maybe.

But I've stayed a member. As they are the organisations that lobby on Toytowners behalf against bastard landlords.

I didn't join any.

My first landlord was one of the breweries that gave me no trouble, even when I have signed a contract for the underground garage, only to find that my car didn't fit in it and had to cancel the contract after a week. They didn't charge me for the week, neither did they charge me the 3-month termination that I was supposed to give, as stated in the garage rental contract.

When I ended the flat rental contract, I did give the flat a good cleaning on my own, and painted parts of the flat. I thnk they say it's not necessary to paint the flat but I thought if one day of painting can save me some potential trouble, then why not?

My present landlord is one of the insurance companies, and so far so good too.

I am in the Erding one and have only had good experience with the Mietverein.All German landlords are normally good until you leave then the nasty side creeps out.The Mietverein is a good thing i speak the lingo here really well, but sometimes you cannot get your head past all the little laws that they have here

Thanks for feedback everybody!

I guess I will be heading to Mietverein one of these days after all. I do not expect problems with my landlady but one never knows ...

After reading + hearing some horror stories about greedy landlords - I am very happy to pay 60E/year for that bit piece of mind in a country as buerocratic as Germany. Add to it that can barely speak any German - yep I am getting myself into a Mietverein :huh:

Just another though - I believe the third party insurance is possible to set off in your tax declaration. Anybody knows if is it the same with this Mietverein thing? (since it includes this Rechtsversicherung) ... And yes, you guessed it right - I am currently in the middle of trying to sort my tax declaration for last year - what a fun way to spend your evenings :(

@ Corcaigh : Best of luck with getting your deposit back

And a bit of the money goes to their work lobbying the various sections of government on behalf of the ordinary joe on housing issues.

And funding the court actions that establish case law in housing.

I write it off on my tax but only the solicitor insurance part.The other is membership fee.Your third party insurance you can write off as all insurances can be done in one way or another

I called the mietverein and told them i wanted to become a member

I just dont get what the lady told me.

She mentioned that I have to be a member for atleast 2 years at 62E/yr. That was OK with me

Here is the part i didnt quite understand -

If i become a member today (for the year 2008 ) I pay 62 Euros for this year

A two year membership would mean that I pay in 2009 another 62E and that completes the 2 year period \

HEr explaination was that I have to pay for 2010 as well. That makes it 3 years

I dont get this at all. Is it so complicated for me to understand ? Please help ?

I will be leaving over the summer and wanted to become a member of the mietverein to avoid problems with my landlord who i suspect is going to be easy to deal with at the time of handing over the house. Is it still possible to become a member ? I dont mind having to pay for 2 years

Can somebody throw light on the miet verein reqmts for membership .

I was never told that I had to be a member for 2 years, and it was never stated on the contract I signed. Can anyone confirm that this is true, as it is of huge significance to me as well.

Jaynes - maybe they can no longer count 2008 as a full year, so you need 2010 as well, or at least part of it, if they deal in parts.

I really dont understand.

I dont mind having to pay since I know I will have some support while dealing with my landlord who I know will not be easy to deal with.

Would be nice to know upfront what exactly needs to be paid to mietverein.

Also I am now beginning to wonder if I become a member now and then ask for help in July at the time of moving, can they refuse having been a member for only 2 months

Can somebody help me out here PLEASE

On the registration form it does not say that the annual fee is 62Euro. It does not even say that minimum duration of membership is 2yrs.

Is it still OK to fill out the form. It only asks for my address and my bank details

Please Please advise

Thanks

You need to be a member of the mietverein for three months before you can ask them for any help, 'Nach 3-monatiger Wartefrist(three month period) werden im Falle einer gerichtlichen Auseinandersetzung die gesetzlichen Gebühren für Ihren Anwalt, die Gerichtskosten und die erstattungspflichtigen Kosten der Gegenanwälte bis zur Höhe von 12.782,30 € ersetzt.'

You have to join for an initial 2 year period, but if you move to another city in Germany you can transfer the mitgliedschaft to that particular area.

It is definatly worth it as there are some nasty landlords about.

FYI - If you leave the country during the 2-year period, you don't have to pay the remainder at all.

I paid for a 3 month membership for a Miterverhein

The person on the phone wasn't familiar with my noise problem regarding a noise issue. I asked to come in to speak to someone who was familiar with the problem but of course was told that all the advisors have the same experience. So here's what my experience was;

The guy I saw didn't greet me, he just picked up my paper from the reception desk and pretty much clock watched for the entire 15 mins that I got. At the end of the 15 mins, he got up and opened the door and started to walk out. He was aggressive and shouting at me at one point as if to make me feel like his time was being wasted, and that my piece of paper could be moved to the closed file pretty much asap.

I was informed that given the Town I am living in, I shouldn't expect the legal right to peace between 10pm-6am.

I was informed that of course the item that had been installed under my room prior to me moving in should be allowed to be located under a bedroom and where else should it go?

I learnt that I shouldn't have bothered reducing the rent (as advised by the previous advisor on the phone) but should just sue the landlord.

Finally, my rights as a Tenant are less than that of owners.

I'm not convinced the guy was accurate with his info and it contradicts what I read online including reference to case law.

In fact it was a waste of my time (off work), all 15 minutes of it.

All i'm saying is that I did my homework on the internet about the problem before visiting the place for advice, and pretty much came out feeling crushed and stamped and as a stupid wall for some guy to take his aggression out on. The guy obviously had a bad day and needed to take it out on some sucker whose problem wasn't in his view worth any of his time to take on or to try to advise in a helpful way. I didn't want help or assistance, just advice and to extend basic manners wouldn't have hurt, but it's clear that some people just don't have any manners. In the short time i've been in Germany, I have learnt that 100% payment for a service doesn't entitle you to expect a 100% satisfactory service. So, that was not money well spent in my opinion, and nor would I recommend going there. If you avoid people contact if only to avoid grumpy people, then just write or telephone.