Who pays for repairs in a rented apartment?

91 posts in this topic

To be honest she seems totally disorganised to me.

A totally scatty person who has taken on too much as she also runs an insurance business.

This was our first and last tenancy and we were naive.

If only she had upped the nebenkosten after the first years accounts, we wouldn't be paying it all now :(

yeah...you can look at it that way, but also remember you are getting out of the 2014 payment scott free (and 2015 if she can't produce the documentation)

not soooooo bad :)

So this morning all was fine in my rented house. After lunch however, when my wife tried to get back inside, the key would not turn in the lock. After moving the key around a bit it eventually turned and she got in. When I got home, I just couldn't get in with my key. The barrel in the lock just wouldn't turn - but luckily my wife was there to let me in. This seems really strange. The lock has been fine. No stiffness and then all of a sudden just not turning. Anyway, I told my landlord and he seems to think it's my responsibility to get it fixed. Now I understand if I forgot my keys and had to get a locksmith out that I would need to pay since it's my fault. I would have assumed however, that since the lock on the door is clearly broken through nobody's fault, that this would be my landlord's responsibility.

Any thoughts or experience with something like this ?

A lock cylender usually costs about 40€ and often its a simple task to swop it out..

I think you are responsible for small repairs upto about 120€

Get some graphite like AnswerToLife said or some lock spray and see if that helps.  Otherwise replace the cylinder but keep the old one to put back when you move out.

You may be responsible for small repairs up to a certain amount if it says so in your rental agreement.  However, even when you aren't, it's usually less annoying to just do them yourself rather than wait for your landlord if he's dragging his feet.

When I was in high school, many moons ago, we used to sabotage the door to our history classroom (history was the first class after lunch, which meant the room was locked until the teacher showed up) by sticking mechanical pencil leads into the lock as far as they would go and then breaking them off. The teacher would show up and insert the key, and it would go all the way in, but it wouldn't turn. He'd have to call the custodian to come open it, and a good 20 minutes were wasted.

It's possible that the neighborhood kids are playing a similar prank on you. Or it might just be normal wear and tear and/or the weather.

If the graphite trick doesn't work, you can try removing the cylinder and tapping out any potential foreign objects, before you replace it.

Thanks for your advice. I'll try this tonight. I've already tried some magic WD40 and it's loosened the lock enough but it's still not as smooth as it was yesterday.

I am worried about the toilet in my apartment. It has been roughly 10 months since I moved in and since a month I have been having trouble with my toilet. There is leakage from the pipe sometimes. There is no continuous leakage, but happens once in a while. I don't know if this could be replaced by the landlord? Or is it my responsibility to get the flush tank (which is super old) and the pipe replaced? Who pays for this replacement?

29 minutes ago, HG said:

I am worried about the toilet in my apartment. It has been roughly 10 months since I moved in and since a month I have been having trouble with my toilet. There is leakage from the pipe sometimes. There is no continuous leakage, but happens once in a while. I don't know if this could be replaced by the landlord? Or is it my responsibility to get the flush tank (which is super old) and the pipe replaced? Who pays for this replacement?

Check your rental agreement for a "kleinreparaturen" clause.  It may say something like one repair up to a certain amount or yearly up to a certain percentage of your rent.  If the repair is under the amount you have to cover, then it's your responsibility.  If it's more or you don't have this clause in your contract, it's your landlords responsibility.

First tell your landlord about the problem.  Germans tend to be handy and your landlord may just show up and fix it.  Otherwise they might call a plumber for you.  If your landlord refuses to fix it, tell us and we can discuss possible options for that.