easyJet - comments wanted

92 posts in this topic

Hello,

I´m writing a book about the budget carrier easyJet and want to interview people who have ever flown with the airline or plan to soon. I´m interested in anything good or bad you have to say about the airline. Maybe it lost your luggage once and kept you waiting for hours or the passenger service was appalling? Maybe you were shocked to see Prague filled with drunken louts who had flown there on a cheap deal for a stag weekend -- or maybe you were one of the louts!? Maybe it allows you to visit long-lost relatives more easily; helps keep a long-distance relationship alive or even entices you to visit your parents´holiday home or new cities in Europe? If you have something to say I´m keen to hear it. I´m also very keen to talk to anybody who works or has worked for easyJet or easygroup companies in any capacity. Please pm or email me (ie don´t post) or put me in touch with anyone you think may be of help.

Cheers

I have a quick story about Air Tran. Did Easy Jet change its name or get bought out? I can't remember and don't want to bother with looking it up. :unsure:

cheers

-prof

they gave me a €5 meal voucher when my plane was delayed for 2.5 hours in munich last year. I missed my connectiob because of them. :angry:

that being said the other times were flawless (no crash landings or emergency refueling or what not).

I agree, the price more than reflects the service, well worth it if you get a cheap deal.

BUT! From Munich you can only fly to Stansted, which is 16 GBP away from London by train. The Lufthansa flight to Heathrow generally costs the same, and it's only 4 GBP by tube right into London centre.

I've pretty much stopped using EasyJet now, because of this. Also their flights are really early morning and really late night, the Lufthansa offers are more flexible. And by the time the surprise additional tax gets added on, EasyJet's really not that cheap.

no particular stories about easyjet, but i would rather fly easyjet than ryanair anyday...

i have flown easyjet from munich to standsted and then onward to ireland with ryanair many times... and it is always the ryanair leg that has the delays, lost and late baggage and rude staff...

wow, i must ahve had good luck then. I did that route to Shannon, and it worked perfectly! And Ryanair to Ireland for 1p made it worth the change at Stansted!

JoolyBooly is right if you are heading into London. Use BA to Heathrow, then get the tube into London, it's cheaper and you get more flights to choose from.

If you're heading up north, though, Stansted is just fine - you can get a train up north via Peterborough without the extra time and expense of having to go in and out of London.

I've always been more than happy with EasyJet, never had a problem so far.

I'm happy with them and will be flying with them tomorrow lunchtime (actually I'll say that they are fantastic so that they don't lose my luggage).

Katrina

Thanks for your comments -- keep them coming! If those who replied would email me their "real" names so that I can maybe quote them. And next time over the coming months anybody flies with easyJet or meets someone who works for them, please get in touch! cheers

easyjet to London is almost always more expensive than LH or BA.

only story I have re "easy"jet is regarding the last flight out of munich, which takes you into stansted (in theory) around 11pm. once, it was delayed. so there were no baggage handlers left. so it took 45 minutes to get our bags. so the last train had gone. and of course the bus was full. so we had to take a cab into town. which cost £80. which was roughly as much as the flight had cost. so I wrote to them, with the objective of claiming the money back. they claimed that, because baggage handling is outsourced, they were not to blame and because they are a "point to point" airline, they accept absolutely no responsibility for you making any connections (plane, train, other)

so it would have been cheaper to catch BA even though the "easy"jet ticket had been a bargain at the time

Similar problems when going down south. If I catch easyJet's late flight from Munich to Stansted there's no way I can get to Portsmouth the same day, because I miss the last train - I end up stuck in London over night. I can catch an earlier flight, but it's not really any cheaper than BA or LH and the journey is awful (last time I did that it took me 4 trains plus an underground, dragging a huge suitcase, my hand luggage, and a keg of beer). I just take alternative flights to Gatwick now, from where I can get a direct train.

As others have said, easyJet is okay if you're going somewhere up north, but for London or down south it's just not worth it - too much hassle, and you don't really save any money.

Why do the staff go up and down the aisle shouting - MIND YOUR ARMS AND LEGS - is it really necessary to be sooo uncouth? A simple excuse me would do.

I bought flights on Easyjet from Munich to London and back for a weekend trip at the end of January. But it turned out that it snowed that day in London (I know what are the chances of that!) and my flight was canceled because the whole London Stanstead airport was closed. My outbound flight was on a Thursday night and my return flight was on a Sunday night. I waited at the Munich airport to talk to the Easyjet staff, but when I talked to the woman she said that the earliest I could fly to London was Saturday night! Which doesn't make much sense if I was going to come back on Sunday night. I asked if I could change both flights to another weekend and she said that I could only change the outbound flight for free, since that one was canceled, but they wouldn't change my return flight. And of course, it didn't make sense to have a return flight before the outbound flight! So instead they just recommended that I claim the entire money back for both flights because my outbound flight was canceled and start over with a new booking. I couldn't do this at the airport though. I had to go home and do this cancellation online. But it was no problem and they refunded all of my money for the flights.

The next time I flew to London, I decided to fly on British Airways instead. It was nearly the same price and they had better options for the times they flew to London from Munich.

person at the airport told me that they could fly me out on Saturday night.

Personally, I have not had any bad experiences with Easyjet flights, even though I do use them quite frequently. I do think they are okay and if you book early enough you can get flights much cheaper than with LH or BA.

I do agree with the problem that if you take the late flight from Munich that most coaches have stopped running, so it is hard to get to places from Stansted Airport.

Guess that I have been lucky with them, as a friend of mine recently told me about his experience with Easyjet, which is not all that good, to say the least.

He was supposed to fly from Stansted to Munich on a Saturday at around midday. He took a coach from Bristol quite early in the morning. He got to Stansted about 2h prior to departure time. Upon arrival, he found that there was absolute chaos at Stansted airport, as their computer system was not working. This meant that they had to write everything down by hand and checking in took forever. Once he got onto the plane, they sat there for about two hours and then the pilot said that due to failure of the computer system, they are not sure whether they got the right luggage on board, so everyone had to get off the plane and identify their luggage. This took another hour and then they were allowed back onto the plane, just to wait another hour (it was already dark outside by that time), without going anywhere. Then the pilot announced that he could not fly to Munich anymore, because it would go over the limit of hours that he is allowed to work. Therefore, everyone had to get off the plane again and then wait in the check in area for another hour. Then Easyjet announced that they would not be flying to Munich anymore on that day. The passengers were obviously not very happy about this, but Easyjet said, that there was nothing else they could do. My friend went to London to stay the night at his uncle’s place. Most other passengers stayed at the check in area over night.

Next moring he rang Easyjet and was told that the plane is going to fly on that day and that he should make his way back to Stansted. So he went to Stansted and found himself back with the other passengers at the gate. However, there was no plane, so he asked one of the Easyjet people and he was told that the next Easyjet plane, coming into Stansted, is the one that will fly them to Munich. Unfortunately, there was some technical problem with that plane after it had landed at Stansted, so this plane could not be used. This meant Easyjet had to find replacement, but apparently there was no plane on Stansted that could be used. So what they did (sounds unbelievable, but is true), is the following: They got a plane from Gatwick Airport (Exel Air) and flew it to Stansted. This of course took a few more hours. Eventually, the passengers boarded the Exel Air plane and were taken to Munich.

However, the trouble was not over yet. Upon arrival at about 11pm on the Sunday, the Exel Air pilot was not able to dock on to the movable gangway at Munich airport properly, so it they had to bend it so far that it broke. It took another 15 minutes until the passengers got off the plane. They eventually got to Munich on the Sunday at 11pm, about 34 hours later than they were supposed to.

This shows that you can be unlucky, so just hope that whenever you use Easyjet nothing like that ever happens to you. As I mentioned at the start I have flown with them a couple of times and so far everything has always been okay and I hope that it stays like that, as I will be flying Stansted-Munich again next Saturday. :unsure:

Dan

Ditto many posts here. EasyJet is only good value if you get their really cheap seats (sub 40 euro). Above that you are in BA/Lufthansa territory and their service and style is infinitely superior. As I often travel to the East of England I have to fly to Stansted and that's only served by EasyJet from Munich - I've often paid more to EasyJet than I would flying BA/LH to Heathrow and had worse service to boot.

The cabin crew on EasyJet are far more amateurish than those of the established airlines. Their manner with passengers is sometimes overly authoritarian and unnecessarily intrusive. They lack the experience and judgement of their 'established' airline cousins. Every awkward question is met with a 'it's because of security' or 'airline regulations forbid it' non-answer.

That said the 'as much as you like' handbaggage policy is great - but it begs the question of how is this now possible? Up to now they have always said that air travel regulations forbid heavy hand baggage and I doubt very much these regulations have changed. I was still challenged at checkin at London Stansted over the size of my hand luggage even though it is a made-to-measure carry on bag. Any experienced checkin staff would have known this.

Whenever an EasyJet flight is delayed the reason is always 'because of the late arrival of the aircraft'. Again, a non-answer. The reason is most likely EasyJet's overly ambitious turn around times at foreign airports, which minimise their costs. I would wish they either give the true reason, or none at all.

In short I fly EasyJet only when there is no alternative. They are not always cheap, or even good value, but their service is always inferior to the 'traditional' airlines.

PP

just flew with easyjet and never ever again. the flight back to munich, in true german style, ended up being a scramble for seats as they're not allocated when u check in. hated it.

I had an incident Apr 03 at stansted with easy jet regarding their safety policies if you re interested?

Easyjet related spiel from Barry B.

------

What on earth are we to do with the Scousers? They're already acknowledged worldwide as the Self-Pity City - the only place where florist's vans have sirens and blue flashing lights - but they're now struggling just to keep up with their own fallen heroes.

John Peel, Ken Bigley, Emlyn Hughes, Yosser "Giveusajob" Arafat, Fred Dibnah (Bolton ... it's close enough for them). I bet there isn't a spare chrysanthemum to be had from Crosby to Croxteth. And all these one minute silences before football matches? They're getting seriously overbooked.

The way things are going they'll have to be out on the pitch at 2.15 just to get the ceremonials out of the way before the three o'clock kick-off.

And still their sense of self-grievance rumbles on, this time striking at 35,000 feet on a EasyJet flight from Belfast to Stansted. "Ladies and gentlemen," announced the pilot. "Please hold onto your wallets as we are now over Liverpool." Fair comment, you would have thought.

Cue horrendous whining and wailing from the Tarbucks on board. "I tink it is a disgrace. I paid good money for dis seat and I don't expect to be slagged off by de pilot. EasyJet is supposed to be a professional operation."

Eh? Good money? Professional operation? Are they quite mad? EasyJet is the quintessential Scouse operation. Cheap, nasty, arrogant and totally bereft of humility or understanding. If EasyJet was a person it would be former council leader Derek Hatton.

And at least he got the redundancy notices to arrive on time.

Who's Barry B???

Grr.

Disgruntled Scouser. :angry: