Train travel between Amberg and Nuremberg

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how much it would cost to take the train from Amberg to Nuremberg for work during the week each day? I know they have those 50% off cards, are they the best way to get the cheapest fare? What is the standard fare? Any other information on trains in the area and their prices would be appreciated, thanks!

-Ehren

There is a day pass for the Nurnberg public transportation system and it costs 8-9 euro for the day. However I am not sure that you can use it early in the morning.

Why are you moving to Amberg if you are working in Nurnberg, Nurnberg is by far a better place to live.

Thanks for the information.

We are thinking of living in Amberg because it would be a central location between where both of us work. But if the price to take the train to Nuremberg is overly expensive we might consider living elsewhere.

I checked the (http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml) website but when I chose the Amberg to Nuremberg route it said the fairs were unavailable. Has anyone taken this route during the week and if so how much did it cost?

Thanks.

I would call the bahnhof in Nurnberg and see about monthly passes, probably your best bet.

Edit: on second thought check out the VGN site, it should provide all the information you need. Amberg is the last stop on the VGN.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to take the train from Amberg to Nuremberg for work during the week each day? I know they have those 50% off cards, are they the best way to get the cheapest fare? What is the standard fare? Any other information on trains in the area and their prices would be appreciated, thanks!

Amberg is in Zone 1530 of the VGN or 13 (10+) zones away from Nuremberg which means a single ticket is €8,60 and a "Jahres Abo" comes in at €162,20 a month. You can get those 50% off cards but they are probably more expensive than just the season unless you want to use them for other trips too and because this is VGN they may not be valid.

Thats something like 65km, 130 both ways, 8L/100km - Makes about €15 a day gas cost against €7 by train with a yearly pass.

Trains go about every half hour and take 50 mins. If they are "RE" ie the modern red double-deckers then they are pretty comfortable but can get full. I travelled Fürth/Bamberg for five years and the train ride was often the nicest part of the day ;-)

This link: http://www.vgn.de/media/static/ges_large.gif?NoScript=1 should take you to a big map of the areas with a tarif table bottom right. Available in English too from www.vgn.de.

Given the choice (and I nearly went to work for Grammer in Amberg, which is why I now unnecessarily drive a diesel, so I did once have the choice) I would work in Amberg and live in Nuremberg rather than the other way around, but YMMV. I cant for the life of me imagine where your partner could work such that Amberg is in the middle. Amberg is on the edge of the civilised world, beyond that there be dragons. And Bayreuth. Dont go there.

andy M

Thanks for the information Andy, that website should be very helpful. I am going to be working in Grafenwohr so that is why I think we are going to try Amberg. Seems to be the biggest city that we could live in that we could also get to Nuremberg fairly easy. Are there any others you think we should consider? I would like to live in Nuremberg but a 100km drive each day would be too much I think, especially in winter.

-Ehren

Thanks for the information Andy, that website should be very helpful. I am going to be working in Grafenwohr so that is why I think we are going to try Amberg. Seems to be the biggest city that we could live in that we could also get to Nuremberg fairly easy. Are there any others you think we should consider? I would like to live in Nuremberg but a 100km drive each day would be too much I think, especially in winter.

Ok, Nürnberg Grafenwöhr everyday is too much, I grant you. I have some colleagues who live in Pegnitz and work in Nuremberg. Pegnitz is on the A9 and right in the middle of the fränkische Schweiz, and its apparently a nice place to live. On the one hand its smaller than Amberg (15000 against Ambergs 45000) but it is closer to more real life and good for Grafenwöhr. Amberg really is a bit out in the sticks.

andy M

Don't y'all go talking about my adopted city like that! After a few years of working at Hohenfels, which is the true end of nowhere, Amberg looks cosmopolitan to me :)

If one of you is going to ride the train each day, I'd recommend targeting your apartment hunt for the area around Mariahilfberg. I live in the Altstadt, which I love but sometimes have issue with the noise on weekend nights (as you would in any downtown). There are a lot more places available with an attached or nearby garage/carport outside the walls.