Waiting for a ticket after being caught speeding

75 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am a brit working in Germany. I got caught speeding on a German motor-way and to make things works also in Roadworks.

I am not sure how much over I was, quite a lot I think so looking at the other posts on this site, I am expecting the worse (big fine and a possible ban) :(

I was wondering how long it usually takes for tickets to come through the post??? I was under the impression not long... so far it is a little over a week.

anyone have any ideas???

Cheers,

Jon.

We rented a car last May with Hubby's UK license and got 'flashed'. It took 2 months to get the ticket and it was due within 10 days. An American friend of ours got a ticket a couple of years back and left Germany to live in London forgetting about the ticket. He had a business trip back to Germany and since the ticket fine was never paid, he was stopped at the airport passport control and was not allowed in the country until he paid the fine.

You mean he was supposed to pay cash to the immigrations official, or they forced him to turn back and go home?

A while back I got a ticket for running a pedestrian red light on my bike. Took 10 weeks to arrive. If it's just a fine, they will fine you, then also charge you a processing fee on top of that.

wow - thanks for the fast and good replies...

I thought it would take around a few weeks, its just a friend of mine got caught and received the fine through the post within a week.

I was additionally flashed a year back but never received anything... maybe it was not pursued, the camera did not have any film in it, or was not operational... i have know idea.

are all cameras i operation / have film that is being processed??? I am aware that sometimes they are there just to slow traffic down, but I was under the impression that when they actually flashed they got you??? and especially if it is in roadworks (I am guessing a mobile camera).

any inputs???

thanks again!!!

Jon.

If you're only slightly over the limit you might get flashed but not fined, because of measurement inaccuracies.

You will get fined the police here deduct 3km off the speed you were flashed at.I ahd to pay 1,60 DM back then for driving 51km in a 50 area.Sounds silly but welcome to the German System

Where is your car registered? Any paperwork goes to the registered owner first, then they have to grass you up, before you see anything. 2-3 weeks is typical for each stage. Approx 10-15% of all camera "flashes" turn to nothing as they can't identify the registration plate or for other reasons cannot be sure of your speed. There are various internal cross checks on accuracy of speed estimation and picture before the ticked is issued.

Another speeding question. My husband has just received a letter saying he was flashed (ooh la la) at 98 in a 79 zone & does he wish to contest it, there was also a picture on the letter that he says is very fuzzy, question is he has never (says he) been asked if he wishes to contest it before & wonders if this is becasue the picture isn't very clear? Are the pics that are included on the letter the same as the police have or will the pic be a lot clearer? Also I have never heard of a 79 limit is this after some weird tolerance, it was on a dual carriageway.

Cheers

As far as I know, as the picture is fuzzy your husband could contest it was not him driving the car so the fine would be passed to the person you claim that was actually driving. But hard to do as I assume they identified the registration plate without any problem.

The tolerance factor should already have been taken into account with the 98 figure, but a 79 limit sounds very strange.

EDIT: If Allershausen is correct they could be asking you if you want to contest it as points/ban is likely.

That sounds like you've misread it to me. It sounds like he was caught in a 60kph zone and as he was doing more than 79kph he's going to get points as well as a fine. If you are doing 20kph or more over the limit you get points and a fine, plus a possible ban! If you are doing less than 20 kph over the limit, which if it was a sixty zone then that would be 79kph and under, then it is only a fine. I think you need to reread it!

Well if the pic is really fuzzy then he could say I was driving as I don't have any points, but then I guess we would need to see the original as it may be a better pic. I haven't actually seen the letter, so you could be right that he is not understanding it correctly, but would the tolerance in a 60 zone bring it to 79?

but would the tolerance in a 60 zone bring it to 79?

Nope as that is over 30%. And I think the highest is 20% for handheld/mobile cameras. Fixed cameras have a tolerence of 3km/h for speeds under 100km/h.

More info about tolerance here:

Receiving a speeding ticket in the mail

Was the dual carriageway outside of town or in a built up area? If the latter then the speed limit could be 50km/h unless otherwise indicated.

For info:

Federal Ministry of Transport: Speeding Fines (in English)

(Includes a list of other fines/penalties)

It depends on where u do the over speeding and get caught. 80Kms/hr limit in Schnell str or Autobahn and if u do 100kms/hr there then the fine will be less when compared to doing +20kms/hr in a school zone.

I get flashed quite regularly and the fines have either been €15 or €30.

Nothing to worry about really.

but only if you're not faster than speed limit + 20kph, if you're above that it might get really expensive:

if you contest it there are also additional charges as well.

post-27149-1216308721_thumb.jpg

the picture you have is the same they have I can assure you, if its fuzzy then just say its not you they then (and this is what they did to a friend of mine with just this situation)proceed to visit all your relatives AND neighbours in an attempt to identify the culprit I kid you not ,they don’t take it lightly here

or tell them it was this guy

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showuser=9625

Well the ticket says 98kmp in a 70kmp zone, so 28 over and I can recognize that it is my husband thought the pic is very fuzzy and according to the date it is too late to contest it anyway so guess we will just wait for the fine to come through! It was outside of town by the Mannheim airport so not a built up area.

I am hoping that the info on the Transport site is the correct info and not the table above, as the one above indicates a ban as well but the transport site doesnt!!

Thanks for the help.