Thor Steinar shop opens in Berlin Mitte

191 posts in this topic

For anyone who has read my previous posts about racism in Germany and thinks that there isn't a problem should read this Fascist fashion.

Tönsberg, which defines its inventory as "urban street wear," moved into Rosa-Luxemburg-Strasse 18, an emblematic number for Adolf Hitler's initials (1=A, 8=H). The store also carries clothing by the brand Thor Steinar, a well-known label worn by followers of the rechtsextremismus (extreme right).

Is it possible that a country without Germany's relatively recent (in european terms) culture of anti-semitism would have anomalies like this?

I dunno. This is all news to me. But I checked out the company website http://www.thorsteinar.de/

It doesn't look to me any different than the "urban streeetwear" sold by any number of companies. You can find the same stuff anywhere in any German city. I mean if you go banning grey cargo pants, half the men in Offenbach will be walking around naked.

Somebody explain this one to me.

Guys link at top of page:

A Jewish friend of mine actually took his little brother into Tönsberg during his first-ever visit to Germany, after apparently exhausting the city's memorial circuit. In what can only be described as a symbolic "fuck you" to anti-Semite Neo-Nazis everywhere, the two marched in and browsed. They returned unscathed but with stories of a cashier who tried to incinerate them with her eyes and a resident baby pit bull bred to "eat Jews."

Apparently dogs can be Nazis as well.Bastards.

You need to read the page more carefully.

I did, and was instantly appalled.

They returned unscathed but with stories of a cashier who tried to incinerate them with her eyes and a resident baby pit bull bred to "eat Jews."

Serious stuff.

Edit: parnell beat me to it.

I did a search for Thor Steinar and related topics before starting this thread. But at least (as far as I know) the link to this site hasn't been posted yet.

You need to read the page more carefully.

No, you need to actually make your points rather than simply directing people to a link.

how silly. just cuz SOME rechtsextremismus folk favour this brand of clothing the shop should close?

SOME rechtsextremismus folk like to shave their heads...should hair-clippers be banned too then?

No, you need to actually make your points rather than simply directing people to a link.

I did make a point in my first post, but I was only really intending to start a discussion, not go off on a rant straight off the bat.

Thor Steinar is a bit different than people who shave their heads.

I'll summarize the research you could do if you were really interested in exonerating this exemplary German company. Their first logo was a poorly disguised swastika. There's a picture of it on the wikipedia article if you doubt this. The logo was outlawed in Berlin but, oddly, not Brandenburg. Their latest is the Norwegian flag, a move which has the Norwegian government suing them (it's illegal to use flags commercially). It's no secret that the Nazis were busy developing their own religion based on Norse gods and forwarded some Nordic, Aryan ideal for people.

Click around some of the Steinar pages and you'll run into plenty of Nordic superiority and a seeming love for black, red and white in the many faux logos on their clothes.

Unlike various other hooligan/supremacist appropriated brands, Thor Steinar's intent was never anything but malicious. I'm continually shocked at the level of naziism that's supported and tolerated by modern-day Germany but have yet to decide what that should mean for my life (and my two bi-national children).

have yet to decide what that should mean for my life (and my two bi-national children).

Run for the hills! Hide! Close your eyes really, really tight and don't look outside!

It's no secret that the Nazis were busy developing their own religion based on Norse gods and forwarded some Nordic, Aryan ideal for people.

Naziism was a religion and drew heavily on Nordic mythology. Not Norwegian mythology, Nordic, the same gods which were worshipped a couple thousand years ago here as well.

black, red and white

So you're neither a graphic artist nor a social or biological anthropologist or you'd know that the strongest colours are... red, white and black. You might want to read Robin Allott's 1974 Some Apparent Uniformities Between Languages in Colour-Naming. After black and white, the first colour humans tend to distinguish linguistically is red. You don't make words for things which don't interest you. There's a lot of psychology behind black, white and red.

woof.

"Some Apparent Uniformities Between Languages in Colour-Naming"

im on my way to buy it already sounds like a 'just cant put it down thing'

I'm continually shocked at the level of naziism that's supported and tolerated by modern-day Germany...

You must be looking pretty hard, then. I'm much more shocked by the collective guilty German conscience and how it deeply inhibited people are here in many ways because of it.

Hi Fribble - Just over Easter weekend I was standing writing an sms outside a rest stop bathroom in Saxony Anhalt when a bus full of soccer hools stopped and came in to reload on beer. I said nothing. Did not look up at them. Nothing. Suddenly I found myself being serenaded by gents in what are apparently the three most popular colors on the planet. When I looked up, three had their right hand extended and the love song was about how they were first going to take over Germany and then the world.

The woman behind the bakery counter subsequently refused to serve them and I grabbed my children and left. I supposed I should have called the police and pressed charges -- as could have anyone else present. But my concern was my children's safety. When I say I'm not sure how that sort of behavior should affect my life, I mean situations like this.

I guess it's a personal choice to ignore what Thor Steinar is.

Neither I nor anyone I know in real life has a story like this, which means nothing other than Nazism isn't a problem in my life or those of my friends, that I know of, which, in my little world (filled, incidentally, with all sorts of other far-reaching societal concerns, don't you worry) justifies my lack of intense interest and suspicion in what black, white, and red do or do not represent, or what Thor Steinar is or is not.

I could imagine that it put a damper on your nice visit to the rest stop, otherwise surely a place of peace and quiet contemplation about our collective differences, but does that incident really provide proof that "Naziism is supported and tolerated by modern Germany," as you say? The only one who did a thing was the poor bun server. You, yourself, as the potential voice of morality with bi-cultural children to protect, did nothing. How does that sort of behavior affect your life?