Negotiating the salary for a job offer at EADS

53 posts in this topic

I'd agree with bluedave. For a permie position as a designer, I'd expect that number to fall within the normal range.

That offer seems rather low considering you have 8 years of experience (that seems to be the range I would expect for a junior/new engineer). If you have a masters degree - then I would think it would be really low..

Also would wonder if that contains the 13th check (urlaubgeld) & if that would be prorated your first year (since you will start mid way through the year..)

Remember - the job of HR is to be helpful to the company - not to you ;)

Good luck ! (Also - would you job be dependant on getting the tanker contract?)

13th check is not urlaubsgeld and is not common practice in the Aerospace industry either btw

Well - that's what my paycheck said .. Don't know what other companies call it.. Like all things - it would depend on the individual company...

within Eads you usually get paid 13,5 months. The addional 1,5 month is distributed within the salary for June and the one for November. For other contracts you are paid over 12 months but get a kind of bonus according to your performance, somewhere during the year.

If they hire you, they will pay your moving expenses as well as hotel and associated cost until you find a flat with the help of a relocation agency... for a reasonable time.

aeroerol,

I’m not sure if I will be working on A350 doors. I know that I'll be working on the doors assembly but I'm not sure what airbus program, talking to them on the interview they seem to support all airbus products with doors. They also told me that they have set assembly ready to complete the composite doors for A350 and they have the contract to build the doors I'm just not sure if I'll be working on that program. Also they are going to support tanker KC-45A with door when the dust is set after Boeing quite down their complain and finally realize that 767 is not a better product then A330.

Do you work for Airbus? Do you have any access to their salary tables or charts, I would like to know at what salary would I be looking at for 8yrs aero experience for Design Engineer Electrical Installation. Also do you get 13month pay, christmas pay, any bonuses or EADS stock options, any other benefits, do they pay moving expenses and temporary stay. On the offer they are giving me 4k/month, I want to ask for 60k/year or should I better negotiate monthly salary?

I got a job offer in Aerospace Industry at Eurocopter as a Design Engineer...

FYI, there are many American engineers working on European aerospace projects. I don't know what they're paying over at EADS/Eurocopter/Airbus, but I do know of Americans with experience similar to yours who are making twice what you were offered. I'm pretty sure there are more lucrative options out there. Also, don't let them use the exchange rate as a means of enticing you (fucking typical industry HR bullshit).

DrivinWest, thanks for info, I'll negotiate with them and hopefully we can find a compromise!

"Berny says: how do feel about producing a product that is used to kill human beings. whats that worth to you?"

Berny why do you think Eurocopter = Killing Machine Only company? That is really a sarcastic comment. Do some research before posting such a comment. Eurocopter is world largest helicopter supplier, they build Civil, Parapublic and Military helicopters.

My offer is for Eurocopter Design Center to work on Airbus components at Eurocopter design center in Donauwoerth.

when im done with my work, i know ive done nothing that could lead to the death of another human being.

you can rationalise all you want.

Hi Joe,

I googled around a bit and found that Eurocopter UK is offering 30k GBP for engineers and another site listed some helicopter engineering jobs for 30-35k GBP. My experience is that such a number open on the net can be construed as a low-ball or at least a lower bound. Given the current GBP-EUR exchange rate and assuming a tax,etc. load of 35% in the UK and 45% in Germany, I figure that 53k EUR gross would be the lower boundary.

But really the best advice has already been given and that is to seek out, find and talk to the others who are already here in a similar capacity.

Note: Just about everyone in big business here is constantly bellyaching about there being just not enough qualified people in Germany.

yes, this is a direct hire position!

Do they pay any commuting cost? I plan to live in North part of Augsburg and daily commute to Donauwoerth. It seems to be 30min with train.

I would very much doubt that. However you will be able to set a certain amount (depending on the distance minus first 20 kms) against income tax in your annual tax returns.

With 8 years of experience 60k€ is realistic.

It doesn't matter whether the year has 12 or 13.5 month.

Forget about Weihnachtsgeld or Urlaubsgeld. You negotiate your gross yearly income.

Why should the company pay commuting costs?

It's your decision where you plan to live.

Imagine you would live in Hamburg and decide to fly to work.

Some companies give company cars to their employees.

Does Eurocopter offer helicopters to their employees?

Hi again Joe,

With your experience I'd say you could well ask for 60K, and as someone earlier suggested, get a clause in the contract to raise it to 60K afterwards..

Just checking back to see what the outcome was on this. Did you fight the man and win or did they wear you down and convince you that you really aren't worth more than 48k? Hope it went well and you negotiated a bit more out of it than they were offering.

I did negotiate and fight little bit and we end up agreeing on 54k euro/year plus in 3 months of employement to have a performance review and increase salary posibility.

I just sent them moving expanses quote and try to have them pay for it. Man, I can tell you California to Augsburg move is very expansive. I'm having 40' container (household goods + Car together) shipped door to door. Next, is to try to get them help me find a flat with an agent and pay temporary stay. Let see what happens. Oh, I signed the contract but they told me they need to have the "Work Consul" to approve it but the HR Manager doesn't think it should be problem.