Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Der Atzinger - famous student pub in Maxvorstadt

9 posts in this topic

post-16-1205925024.jpg
Der Atzinger is a famous student pub located on the Schellingstraße in Maxvorstadt.

After the landlord died his widow and a friend continued to run the business for a while. As you may have read in the papers a couple of weeks ago, however, they decided to cancel their rental contract and the pub had been set to close in April 2008. Now a new landlord has stepped in and promises to keep the pub running just as it always has. The new owner also owns the Egger chain of bars, Alter Simpl, and the Haidhausener Augustiner (amongst others). Info source: A waitress at Alter Simpl.

Der Atzinger

Schellingstraße 9, (Google map)

80799 Munich

Tel. 089 282880

Open daily 10am to 3am (kitchen until 2am)

U-Bahn: U3/6 to Universität

I read something about this in some newspaper or other a couple of weeks ago - don't remember where, but I think it said the place would close temporarily to undergo renovation, and would open again in new splendour sometime in the summer(?) - June/July(?). Think I also read that the new landlord wants to stay faithful to the traditional spirit of the place.

Damn it. I thought I'd snagged a TT exclusive. Now I see it had been in the AZ in February already.

Toytown Germany

Welcome to last month

The Egger pubs are openening everywhere, they just opened one on Franizkanerstr, where we had our first Friday Night Cocktail night.

@crusoe: Yes, the "Atzinger überlebt" article looks like the one I read. Not quite sure how I came to be reading the AZ, but at least it wasn't Bild Zeitung - I would never have lived that down!

I remember in particular the bit where the article says the Atzinger is on the corner of Schelling-/Türkenstraße, though you can see from the street sign in the photo that it's Schelling/Amalienstr. The resolution isn't so good in the online photo, but it was clear enough in the photo in the paper.

Well, there is hope that the management will improve with a new owner.

Found the Atzinger the worst pub ever in Munich in terms of service. Like many places that have a convenient location and/or are considered 'famous', they are always packed, no matter if food/beer/service is crappy.

They have the habit of bussing you around when you are in a small group and a larger group arrives. It can happen you have to change your seat two times when you are there. I don't have much understanding for this kind of "customer service" - and even if I had, the rude way they are asking is totally inappropriate.

Their whole way of treating customers is "You can be happy that you have the honour of sitting in our grubby, smelly, disgusting pub. Now don't complain and tip us on top of that."

Had trouble there three times in a row (with different waitresses). Three strikes is enough, won't go there again and caution against visiting. Unless a hearty fight for your dignity is your thing when going out for lunch or dinner or a beer.

I was actually violently shoved by one of the waitresses at this place once! She didn't say anything to me, but suddenly shoved me from behind, to try to get me out of the way! This is my least favorite place in Munich. I never go in there anymore. Rude and violent wait staff, dark atmosphere. More like a provincial "Stammkneipe" in the middle of no where, with a core of 60+ year old regulars at the bar, than a happening, student pub in Munich.