Referendum on the Transrapid planned for 13.Apr.08

143 posts in this topic

Fairly middle managers in MunichRe even travel first class on business trips. Simply incredible. We get business class for flights over 10 hours. Flying Munich-Bangalore takes 9:45 in one direction and 10:30 in the other, and the flights take off/arrive in India at 1am, so guess what class they forced us to travel? Yep, in the back simply because one direction was 15 minutes below the 10 hours.

If your not sure of your return flight times then business class is an advantage. (Otherwise it has always been a con.)

I don't agree with that - it's expensive but then it is more comfortable and means you can attend a meeting a short time after a long flight and be in a more useful mental state than after interminable hours squeezed into a cattle class seat.

Toughen up! If you can't be mentaly on top of your game after doing bugger all for 10 hours then I worry about your stamina.

I work around the corner from both the Staatskanzlei and the State of Bavaria government offices and if you listen closely you can hear the champagne corks popping

Good to know they're spending our taxes on essentials...

Fairly middle managers in MunichRe even travel first class on business trips.

...and i guess that explains the insurance premiums.

Everyone I know who travels for business has to use the cheapest way possible and that applies to planes, trains and automobiles - whatever is the cheapest. Do you know anyone that travels business class anymore?

no. but my employer puts a premium on me being in board meetings on time. So dawdling away on the Picadilly line is just not an option. At the end opf the day, an extra €50 on expenses once a month is not going to bring the company to its knees.

what Hellesangel describes is the policy in my current employer too and in my last employer. Wouldn't surprise me if it is fairly widespread actually in the bluechip world

Toughen up! If you can't be mentaly on top of your game after doing bugger all for 10 hours then I worry about your stamina.

Easy to say when you're of average height or shorter. Try being 6"4' tall and spending 10 hours with your knees jammed up against the seat in front of you.

The referendum has not yet been called off so mail in your votes. Just to piss of the CSU.

The Federal funds for the transrapid will in all probability not flow to Bavaria now, they will be otherwise allocated. The CSU is blaming the industry, i.e. Siemens, for the cost explosion and indifferently confirms that there is no Plan B, i.e. Express S-Bahn. They have to commence a bidding procedure for a feasiblity study which will take months to terminate, then the expertise has to be written, another few months, and by then it will be too late to commence construction in time for the 2018 Olympics.

Otmar Bernhard, head of the Munich CSU branch, says that the collective hangover will kick in, first and foremost with Lord Mayer Ude, when people realize that alternatives have to be looked for and found, conveniently forgetting that the SPD has been pushing the Express S-Bahn for the last few years.

Rainer Stinner, head of the Munich FDP branch, says that Ude's satisfaction with the sad demise of the transrapid goes to show that he (Ude) is not interested in a practical solution of the transport question, conveniently forgetting (see above).

Süddeutsche Zeitung, 28 March 2008

The CSU gladly jettisoned the whole transrapid concept as a reaction to their drastic losses in the late communal elections. Their list runs as follows:

Smoking ban - check

Overturn the whole law and blame the Greens and their roll-your-own philosophy

Transrapid - check

Ditch the project and blame the industry

G8 model (8 years at Gymnasium) - check

Strike half the curriculum in such unimportant subjects as geography, biology and history - Who needs them what with new countries declaring themselves independent, constant mutations and we never learned anything from it anyway.

Wake up, German voters, and think!

Maybe not. Basically they introduced the pfand system and because it was so badly thought out, you could only return the plastic bottles or cans to the shop where you bought them from. They had to completely rework it so that you could take them back anywhere.

Well it's good to see that common sense has finally prevailed and that this white elephant has been scrapped. I pointed out in other threads that the €1.85 bn figure was woefully out-of-date. My belief, however, was that industry would wait until construction had started before coming clean about the true costs.

The €1.85 bn figure dates from 2004. In September 2007, the industry announced that the figure was still accurate. Since it is inconceivable that costs have doubled in the space of six months after remaining stagnant for three years, it seems pretty clear to me that the industry was lying through their teeth, while the politicians were woefully incompetent for accepting the figure. Both were blinded by the desire to get the thing built, and believed what they wanted to believe. After the election results earlier this month, the CSU suddenly wanted to wash their hands of the whole thing.

Years have been wasted, but we can now get on with the job of designing a cost-effective, public transportation scheme to provide faster access to the airport – exactly the kind of project that should have been in place when the airport opened in its current location in 1992.

Right, Transrapid down, third runway still to go...

Bayern3 radio, generally on Beckstein's line, called it "political math", i.e. wanting to believe a figure in the teeth of reality.

Maybe not. Basically they introduced the pfand system and because it was so badly thought out, you could only return the plastic bottles or cans to the shop where you bought them from. They had to completely rework it so that you could take them back anywhere.

I found out while visiting Berlin, that there you CAN NOT return them anywhere...hell, it was rather difficult for us to find places that would take them, so a lot were thrown away, we really did try at least 2 places each time (a german & I, so no language issue). They claimed there was no requirement to take them, so shove it up your arse.

I like it much better here in Munich, it has the symbol, they'll take it.

They need to get on that express S-bahn planning, I thought a lot of that had already been done...

@Allershausen: Agree; the third runway is largely a Nimby issue; environmental arguments and the concerns of local residents are overridden by the general public's insatiable desire for cheap flights. The Transrapid would also have been built had the only opponents been those who live close to the planned route.

I found out while visiting Berlin, that there you CAN NOT return them anywhere...hell, it was rather difficult for us to find places that would take them, so a lot were thrown away, we really did try at least 2 places each time (a german & I, so no language issue). They claimed there was no requirement to take them, so shove it up your arse.

I like it much better here in Munich, it has the symbol, they'll take it.

I know that this is way off tagent, but was it the tedious situation where they refuse to take glass bottles back as the shop itself only sells plastic ones or did you just experience the warm Berliner hospitality that makes us all so proud?