Referendum on the Transrapid planned for 13.Apr.08

143 posts in this topic

The notice of the poll arrived yesterday and the posters for the council elections are getting replaced by referedum posters.

The question is:

Are you in favour the the City of Munich siezes all legal possibilities against the Transrapid from HBF to the Airport,

particuarly suing against any planning decisions or financial engagement from the airport operating company?

Yes or no?

Calling for a Yes vote are the SPD, Greens, Linke, environmental organisations, public transport organisations, local residents associations.

A clear "Yes" vote, ie AGAINST the Transrapid, would give the city a clear mandate to do anything possible to stop the project and there could be no suggestion of ultra vires.

Any delay through the council blocking the planning process or any funding via the airport company is going to make the project less and less likely

as the faked costs as opposedto supposed benefits are going to become more and more obvious.

The referendum on its own won't stop the Transrapid, but it could be a nail in its coffin.

how much would action by Munich council cost the tax-payers? I mean, there is no guarantee that it will work and it might just end up costing us even more, oder?

OG, I think the cost of going to court to get injunctions against the planning process and any financial participation from the airport company would cost us less than the building of the bloody thing.

Ironic pro-transrapid statement of the century award goes to...

how much would action by Munich council cost the tax-payers? I mean, there is no guarantee that it will work and it might just end up costing us even more, oder?

Yes, I too worry about government projects costing a lot and not living up to the optimistically promised expectations

Sara: It's cute that you think everyone speaks German.

Also, only actual German citizens can vote on this, right? So ahh...get your partners to vote!

no all EU who are registered in Munich can vote, I will be giving it a Big NO as the dam thing will be doing 300Km per hour a few hundred meters from my back garden

Also, only actual German citizens can vote on this, right? So ahh...get your partners to vote!

It's cute for those who speak enough to understand, and I bet you'll see it around.

Scogs mate, I thought you lived in one of the Schliessheims?

This referendum is only in the City of Munich itself.

Any possibility of a postal vote mentioned on the thing? I'm not around that weekend and would like to add my mustard.

Jeeves, just fill out the back of the form for a postal vote, deadline 11.04 at 1200 for that.