Best places to live near Grafenwohr

4 posts in this topic

I will be working in Grafenwohr in couple months and am trying to find a good town to live in. Does anyone have any good suggestions? It looks like the biggest towns close enough to my work would be Weiden, Bayreuth and Amberg (I think Nuremberg would be too far to drive everyday), are there any other places to consider?

A little background about myself, I just turned 30 and live in San Francisco with my girlfriend who will also be coming out. We enjoy going out to dinner and like a variety of options, we like to go out to movies occasionally and love to travel and spend time outdoors. Would want to play some sort of sports there, basketball and/or football (soccer) and have some options for entertainment at night.

I would like to not have to drive more then 45km each way if possible so I don’t have to spend a fortune on gas.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Thanks in advance!

-Ehren

Well Bayreuth and Amberg are good choices however for the most part they are both smaller towns. They both offer decent places to eat out and ok pubs. The good thing is Czech Republic is only a rocks throw away from Graf and that can alway be a fun time. But if you are trying to decide the better of the two options I would say Amberg and then once or twice a month go to Nurnberg for going out.

I live in Amberg and occasionally have to work in Grafenwoehr. The drive is about 30-40 minutes. While I really can't compare Weiden or Bayrueth (have only been to each a few times) to Amberg, we really enjoy Amberg. The old city is very picturesque and has plenty of shops, pubs and cafe's. There are quite a few good restaurants and a number of festivals (capped by the Marienhilfberg Fest -if you like beer and bratwurst this is the fest for you). The town used to have dozens of small breweries, unfortunately many of them closed before we moved here, but there is still a disproportionately high amount of breweries for the size of the town. Finally, it isn't overrun with soldiers like many of the towns closer to Vilseck or Grafenwoehr.

As mentioned, it is close to Nurnberg (which has a Bundeliga soccer team). Public transit into Nurnberg is easy and reasonably cheap.

If you need some additional info please feel free to PM me.

Don't know if you've made it to Graf yet or not, but I've lived in Weiden for the past two years and have enjoyed it. I live in the central Fussganger Zone and my commute to work is only around 15 to 25 minutes each way depending on the truck traffic. I have been to both Amberg and Bayreuth many times and actually prefer Weiden to both of them. The Altstadt area is pretty lively with numerous restaurants and many bars/pubs to choose from. In the summers it's easy to find pick-up basketball games at a couple of different courts plus soccer games and other activities. There is good mountain biking right outside of town (Fischerberg) and there are Naturparks for hiking and biking within 30 minutes. The Czech Republic is only 30 minutes away and a semi-main train line runs right through town putting you in either Regensburg or Nurnberg in just over an hour. Overall, it's been a really good experience.

However, I'm moving an hour south to the Regensburg region in 2 weeks to go to work at Hohenfels. I'm going to end up living in a much smaller town (not sure where yet - probably some Kuhdorf), but I will be an hour closer to the Alps for skiing!