Moving out of an apartment without renovating

161 posts in this topic

This article says that the change applies to repainting while you are a tenant; during your time in the flat you can repaint it as you like and your landlord can't make you stick to specific colours any more. Clauses to the contrary are no longer valid. Effectively thiis means that you don't even have to keep repainting the flat at certain intervals, if you don't want to, says the article. However, what is still valid is a clause saying that you have to return the flat when you leave painted in specific colours. What does it say in your contract?

Thanks for the info. We have not painted any of the walls in the six years we've been here. Some of the walls probably do need repainting. If I understand you correctly, since we didn't do ANY painting, we don't have to paint anything?

No, it depends on what it says in your rental contract. If your contract says that you have to paint the walls when you leave, then that is valid.

It's always been my policy to leave places nicer than I found them. Wouldn't it be a nicer world if EVERYONE did the same?

Sorry, but this is incredibly naive at best. Why would I spend my money on making things "nice" (and what is nice to you isn't necessarily nice to me) for a stranger? It's not my place, I pay rent, I look after it, that's enough.

It's always been my policy to leave places nicer than I found them. Wouldn't it be a nicer world if EVERYONE did the same?

I take your point. Would that landlords shared your spirit.

On the other hand, my landlord has profited greatly from our 75 or so consecutive months of paying our rent promptly and in full. We have also been very conscientious about caring for the kitchen appliances and other fixtures that came with the apartment. I think that if there is only reasonable wear and tear to the premises, then the landlord can spend a teensy, tiny fraction of his profit to bring the apartment up to a minimum standard of livability for the next tenant.

We own a house in the US that we rent out. We contact our tenants every 90 days and ask if there's anything they would like repaired or replaced. We believe it's our responsibility; it is not required by the lease. No landlord in the decades that I have been renting has ever treated me with the same consideration we accord our tenants. My present landlord has never once asked if we needed anything done and always has placed responsibility for arranging repairs and maintenance on us, and he's one of the better ones.

Also, we make a point of thanking our tenants for prompt rent payments and cordial relations. Our landlord, who lives above us and who we often meet on the stairway, has barely managed to conjure up a smile much less any sign of gratitude.

If we can avoid spending time, effort, and money on his property when we vacate, we will.

My landlady is a nice old lady who often gives me cake or cooks for me but when I come to her with maintenance problem, she is useless. After a couple of months in the apartment, a metal piece in one of the windows broke so you can not lean it in any more, only open it fully. I tried to get a replacement at a hardware store and they said that the windows are too old and I wouldn't get it anywhere. Then I told the landlady. She said, oh, that's too bad. End of story.

When it is raining straight on some of my windows, they were leaking. A lot. I told her and she said, oh, my windows leak too. At one point when I came home from work to puddles on my floor because of this, I showed it to her. Oh, she said, put some rags in the window. I told her the rubber weather strip on the window is torn, maybe we can buy some more of that. She said oh no, these windows are too old. A couple of months later, the came to me with some cheapo rubber strips she picked up somewhere. She told me to put them on the windows and give her the rest. I did and maybe it did work somewhat because the living room window hasn't leaked since although this doesn't happen often with the water, only when the wind is just right.

With the kitchen window however, I saw a couple of days ago that the plaster in the corner by the window is wet and soft. Water not really coming in though, probably just soaking into the wall. Anyway, I showed her that today and she told me to stick a rag in there. I did, the rag got wet in a few minutes. Not sure what I am supposed to do with that. Sit there all day and stick a new rag in there every few minutes?

Now, if she was otherwise mean, it would be easy to join the mieterverein and demand that she fixes things but because she is so sweet, I can't really do that.

Please explain how I'm being "naive at best"? Everywhere I go, whether it's a house I'm visiting, or a park I go to, or even a public bathroom, I always clean more mess than what I made.

Yes... well you do have the advantage of owning a " Wonder soap" company that can clean an entire continent of an oil slick in just 3 days!.. B)

Talking about US law is irrelevant here. This is Germany and the issue is, do you have to paint when you leave or not. From what I have read on this thread, it seems to depend on your contract.

Leaving places nicer than you found them is.. well.. nice but if the law or contract or money doesn't say you have to, most other people will not so if you live in a place where people clean as they move in instead of as they move out, you might as well do that too or you'll be cleaning twice.

Talking about US law is irrelevant here.

It may be irrelevant to you, but in the context of this thread and what has been posted, it is perfectly germane both as a comparison and a precedent. Please skip reading those posts if they don't interest you.

FYI this is Germany, (against popular opinion) landlords don't "profit greatly" from rent in fact, we are lucky if we break even. Truth is, tenants rights are favored in this country so there are not many landlords who are enthusiastic to rent. Most do it to keep from drowning and some of us still drown because the expenses outweigh any profits. AND, just because you pay your rent on time doesn't mean you deserve brownie points, this isn't kindergarten. Your rent SHOULD be paid in full and in a timely manner, unless it states opposite in your contract of course.

FYI, in Munich, if you are a professional landlord and you don't make a substantial profit (as all of my acquaintances here who are landlords do), you are just a lousy businessperson. If you're drowning because you can't make a profit, find a line of business in which you're competent.

My point, which eluded you (as much seems to), in referring to my prompt payment of rent, was merely to show that I have been a good tenant and fulfilled my end of the bargain.

It is idiotic to say that tenants rights are "favored" in this country. Tenants' rights here are simply better protected than in most places; literally centuries of abuse and greed by landlords have necessitated protections.

Now that I FINALLY have crappy tenants (who were taking advantage of the system) out of our places we are doing just fine in this line of business, thank you very much. I don't like to brag but it took my good business mind to change our strategy. :D

But, since we're being frank about each others business practices, your books are over priced.

May you have a prosperous and Happy New Year!!!

I know I will.

Thanks for the info. We have not painted any of the walls in the six years we've been here. Some of the walls probably do need repainting. If I understand you correctly, since we didn't do ANY painting, we don't have to paint anything?

I've lived in my apartment nearly five years. Aside from the regular touch ups with the Mr. Clean Erasure sponges around light switches and doing a bit of spot cleaning in our small hallway, kitchen, bedroom and living room walls, we've re-painted in heavy traffic areas and when expecting visits from family overseas. Has nothing to do with what we are legally obligated to, just that we want our home to look as clean, fresh and pleasant as much for us as for other people.

I mention this to say that I can't imagine not freshening up our white walls (blue in the bedrooms) for years.

I mention this to say that I can't imagine not freshening up our white walls (blue in the bedrooms) for years.

It's not that hard to imagine. ;)

If you have light colored walls, textured walls, cook, entertain visitors (friends, family or otherwise), have pets, kids or just a sloppy spouse....it is very easy to imagine the kind of dirt and dust buildup that can accumulate over time. :unsure:

Now, if you have no problem with that, or perfer grey walls....god speed. People like their creature comforts, I'm not one of them. :P

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi,

I'm repainting the flat, and i understand legally, i should paint "as needed" i.e. only if they look like they need it,

even though my contract says i need to paint.

Some walls/ceilings look the same as the ones ive just painted, so is painting an all or nothing propostion or do i just

need to paint the walls that need it. I understand that it has to look like they are the same.

thanks