High cholesterol level

89 posts in this topic

To answer your main question, after my husband’s heart attack and those of his parents, my sister in law did get a heart test despite never having had any previous heart issues. Best discuss with your Hausarzt. He/she might not be willing to do so until your cholesterol is reduced.

There are a few more recent threads here on TT about cholesterol. Just enter ‘cholesterol’ in the search box.

Proper reduction strategies might be a bit more than quitting smoking, reduced alcohol etc. Changing to low fat labelled products is a double edged sword as these products usually contain much more sugar. Exercise helps too.  

All the best. 

3 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

I think I would like to get a heart calcium test done.

What do you mean by "heart calcium test"?

5 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

So I guess if it is on TK’s site is it covered? 

I would guess it is covered for some people.  Talk to you Hausarzt about it. 

My cholesterol level is 217 so I want to get it down further, with main strategy checking the saturated fats on packets. Unfortunately, doesn't break these down into HDL and LDL so I just work on the basis of low is good. 

Problem is I like dairy products. Hope that sticking to low fat yogurts, 1.5% milk and 'light' cheese are sufficient and I don't need to cut dairy out altogether. 

10 hours ago, emkay said:

To answer your main question, after my husband’s heart attack and those of his parents, my sister in law did get a heart test despite never having had any previous heart issues. Best discuss with your Hausarzt. He/she might not be willing to do so until your cholesterol is reduced.

There are a few more recent threads here on TT about cholesterol. Just enter ‘cholesterol’ in the search box.

Proper reduction strategies might be a bit more than quitting smoking, reduced alcohol etc. Changing to low fat labelled products is a double edged sword as these products usually contain much more sugar. Exercise helps too.  

All the best. 

I have been checking the labels for sugar, so I’m good there. Thanks for your reply. 

Do talk to your doctor about this. Because I have elevated blood pressure and a family history, I see a cardiologist annually. She does heart ultrasound and stress test and asks a lot of questions. She also does some special blood work when needed. A few weeks ago she did the ultrasound during the stress test. That was a first.

My numbers are much better since she put me on a statin drug. 

If anyone's worried about developing heart disease, then cholesterol levels are only one of the factors to consider - as I'm sure has been mentioned on TT before.

Check out one the the many calculators that are available online and plug on all the relevant details.

You might be surprised at the result!

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Do talk to your doctor about this. Because I have elevated blood pressure and a family history, I see a cardiologist annually. She does heart ultrasound and stress test and asks a lot of questions. She also does some special blood work when needed. A few weeks ago she did the ultrasound during the stress test. That was a first.

My numbers are much better since she put me on a statin drug. 

Yeah, I booked an appointment with my doctor to talk in more detail about the results. The person who told me my results wasn’t my main doctor and I found it worrying, but comforting (hope that makes sense), that she said eat more fish and less cheese and wine, etc. I’m thinking I need to advocate a bit more for myself here. 

My doctor recently advise me to take statins as my Cholesterol level was a bit high. I declined , preferring to change my diet. If , after 6 months , my level is still high , then I will start taking these statins. 

13 hours ago, colincostello said:

My doctor recently advise me to take statins as my Cholesterol level was a bit high. I declined , preferring to change my diet. If , after 6 months , my level is still high , then I will start taking these statins. 

I only got on the statin last year after years of trying other things that didn't work.

5 hours ago, colincostello said:

What other things? Exercise? diet?  Theses are the only 2 things I can think of.

Yes, those types of things. My high cholesterol is hereditary.

My DearOne's cholesterol levels dropped dramatically when we went vegetarian for the weekdays and only had meat at the weekends, Just saying.

Sound advice from Elljay. I  rarely have red meat now. I have switched to jacket potatoes as my main food. With different fillings of course.

And nuts and crisp bread to snack on. I even made myself a fruit salad the other day and it was yummy.

I have even cut down on my choclate consumption. From one bar a day to about 3 a week.

What about eggs?  I have been enjoying 2 poached eggs on wholemeal toast twice a week for the past couple of years.  I read an article this week saying that people with high cholesterol levels should avoid eggs.  I know this was the advice back in the 90s, then they changed their opinion and eggs, in moderation, were fine, but now I'm confused.  I want to keep eating eggs, if I can, because there's a chemical in eggs that helps prevent age related macular degeneration, something my Mother and my Grandfather suffered from and I'd like to avoid it, if I can.

2 hours ago, Tap said:

What about eggs?  I have been enjoying 2 poached eggs on wholemeal toast twice a week for the past couple of years.  I read an article this week saying that people with high cholesterol levels should avoid eggs.  I know this was the advice back in the 90s, then they changed their opinion and eggs, in moderation, were fine, but now I'm confused.  I want to keep eating eggs, if I can, because there's a chemical in eggs that helps prevent age related macular degeneration, something my Mother and my Grandfather suffered from and I'd like to avoid it, if I can.

I’m confused about the egg issue too. I think in the 80/90’s, all fats were generally demonised. Then there was a change of opinion that encouraged healthy fats. Eggs were then fine again. I found this documentary very interesting. It was on Amazon/Netflix and now on YouTube.

On 20/06/2022, 11:31:39, colincostello said:

I have even cut down on my choclate consumption. From one bar a day to about 3 a week.

Too much sugar, too much saturated fat: alarm, alarm!

4 hours ago, Tap said:

What about eggs?  I have been enjoying 2 poached eggs on wholemeal toast twice a week for the past couple of years.

I eat two eggs per week myself, but four should still be OK.

A small number of eggs  per week is not going to do anyone any harm. It depresses me how so called expert opinion has been all over the place on this and other health issues.