High cholesterol level

87 posts in this topic

Oh, I've got to get that machine, I'd love to know what mine is now as I haven't been back to the doctor for over a year. I'll get onto that tomorrow.

Anyone out there taking Statins? I was on them, but they didn't help much, that's when I gave up going to the doctor.

My husband dropped meat and dairy after a high cholesterol reading. 6 months later he had his numbers checked again and he dropped over 50 points. His doctor was stunned. We've made it a permanent lifestyle and never looked back. We also have never felt better. Good luck!

Had really really bad Chorestorol levels a few years ago, got them down by changing diet, however you need to ensure you maintain a balanced diet otherwise you can give yourself malnutrition (B vitamins above all).

Eat more fruit and veg and fish, don't eat low quality meat, go to a decent butcher and buy less but better (no fatty cuts, no saussage type stuff).

Oats are good, Soja milk is also good but don't use it to replace normal milk completely.

The B vitamin thing is not to be understimated, if you cut out full fat milk and dairy products you are cutting out your biggest source of B vitamins. These days I eat full fat mik and a bit of butter but not cream etc.

Lay off the booze, its bad for your weight, chorestorol and your liver.

Cut down on the sweeties but don't substitute with diet products they are full of all kinds of crap and will likely damage your liver.

All this on its own will get the situation under control, however without regular exercise your body cannot process the bad fats (not a doctor so don't ask) and the balance will remain bad.

Joe, that's pretty much what I've been doing, porridge with seeds for breakfast, a bread roll for lunch and generally veg with fish or meat for dinner (always good quality, I never buy supermarket meat or fish). Of course, I sometimes eat things I really shouldn't, but I feel my basic diet is okay.

My daughter and myself suffer from a fructose intolerence, so fruit and raw veg are out most of the time, but we've gotten used to that. I really need to have my cholesterol checked again as I may be worrying about nothing.

Pretty much everythng (diseases, allergies, imbalances) stems from the condition of the Colon. The place to start is getting your Colon cleaned and funtioning to perfection.

This kind of basic health prevention supports all organ, blood, and tissue health.

You might want to check out Colon-hydro-therapie.

My keyboard is awful, here with corrections:

Pretty much everything (diseases, allergies, imbalances) stems from the condition of the Colon. The place to start is getting your Colon cleaned and functioning to perfection.

This kind of basic health prevention supports all organ, blood, and tissue health.

You might want to check out Colon-hydro-therapie.

I did check out Colon-Hydro-Therapie and got this:

"No scientific evidence supports the alleged benefits of colon cleansing. The bowel itself is not dirty and barring drugs, disease or mechanical blockage, cleans itself naturally without assistance."

Don't let your cholesterol level drop below 160 since other risks like depression, accidents or even suicide can increase:

"..Low Cholesterol - Links to Anxiety, Depression, Suicide & Hemorrhagic Stroke

The BBC news reported in 1999 that low cholesterol levels were linked, in both men and women, to depression and anxiety. In a separate story on the same topic, MSNBC reported that, a study conducted in South Korea found that depressed patients with low cholesterol levels may be more likely to commit suicide."

http://www.ctds.info/low_cholesterol.html

Genetics play the biggest role in our cholesterol levels. Dietary changes can help so some extent--more so with triglycerides and sugar. I don't believe in cutting out meat. For example, people on the Atkins diet tend to drop their levels significantly. However, I'm a firm believer of not eating anything processed, eating tons of veggies, healthy fats and lots of water. I also believe in moderate to low intake of carbs. I also severely limit my pork and beef intake.

Bottom line--Exercise. Aerobics raises your good cholesterol levels. Balanced, fresh diet will lower your overall cholesterol level, but it's really about how much good cholesterol you have. AnswerToLife42 make the comment about not dropping below 160, but I challenge that it's more of the ratio of good and bad levels that is important. An overall cholesterol reading is about as informative as a BMI reading. With a cholesterol ratio reading, we really do want a low "bad" cholesterol reading. The good cholesterol is mandatory for mental health and a myriad of other body functions as AnswerToLife42 pointed out. That is the number you want to watch. Sadly, most doctors here (especially because of the limitations of the State insurance) only go for the total number. I always have to ask (and pay) for an additional test.

Someone asked about Statins. I TOOK them and after 4 years, took myself off to see if I can manage it on my own. They screw with your liver values and also are known to give you muscle cramps. We'll see, just had my blood test this week and will meet with the good doc next. I'm really against Statins. They are poison, but sometimes necessary if the genetic predisposition is simply too great.

"Soja milk is also good but don't use it to replace normal milk completely."

Why not? There are other non-soy milk options (if soy is a problem) but drinking cow's milk is completely unnecessary. Don't you find it strange that humans are the only mammals who not only consume the milk from a different mammal but also way beyond the appropriate age to consume one's mother's milk? ...because I do.

My cholesterol is too high although I'm underweight and eat a reasonably healthy diet and get a fair amount of exercise. My GP says that it's probably due to genetic factors, or else my liver thingk I'm starving and is trying to make up by working overtime on the cholesterol production. The only thing I'm doing is to eat a few walnuts a day. I'll try the oatmeal too, though I never liked porridge - I had to eat it every morning as a child.

High cholesterol can also stem from a thyroid problem so it's always good to get that checked out.

TAP, The human body was never designed to ingest any of the stuff in a normal supermarket, take medications, or eat ANY animal products. How then, for the sake of logical thinking, would the colon be able to "completely clean" all of that junk "naturally"?

Fruits and vegatables (yes, RAW), nuts, and grains were the plan, and the only plan.

The body is simply a miracle which continually adapts to chemicals, poisons, and outside manpulations.

Don't you think it's weird that you and your daughter cannot eat the ONLY foods that we were meant to eat?? And you "Google" to get some kind of feedback regarding the absolute BASIS of human health, the colon??

Weird.

quantumsprung, you obviously believe in this very strongly, and that's great. I, on the other hand, am a bit sceptical. I think, if we treat our body correctly, it can heal itself of many ills.

I do have a healthy diet, lots of (lightly cooked) vegetables, grains and seeds, I just have to be a bit careful these days with fruit, starches and my beloved honey. But my system has settled down over the past year and I will now reintroduce some of the forbidden "fruits" and see what happens.

You may be right about this, but if I don't need to do it, then I'd rather not.

ukpunk1, how did you get it down?

I stopped eating whole pizzas (ca. ø 28cm), fried chicken, and a lot of fast food so often. (max weight was 153.9kg) Exercising is the key. (138kg and still losing weight to get to my ca. 120kg goal for 2011)

ukpunk1, well done you, that's fantastic, keep going.

I've read that high cholesterol can also be linked to stress levels, interesting.

@ukpunk1. wow, congrats! You sound like you're doing great... kudo's to you! One thing though, be careful about getting caught up in the "numbers" game of weight loss. There are some great scales that measure body fat, that are priced reasonably. Use something like this and use a measuring tape every 2 or 3 months. Weight doesn't give us a great picture especially if you're converting those excess pounds to muscle! Sometimes it will appear that you are on a plateau, when in fact you body is going through the important change of increasing its lean body mass--and we all know that muscle weights much more than fat.

good luck!

On a recent blood test, they found I had high cholesterol. The LDL and triglycerides need to be lower, but they said I have a good HDL. I smoke 1-2 cigarettes a day and I do like my wine a bit too much sometimes, so I need to definitely cut the smoking out and lower the wine (cannot completely erase wine!). 

That being said, I’m not a huge fast food person, but I have had a look at my eating habits and I am changing things such as lightening up my milk fats by changing to 1,5% yogurt and almond milk. I am ok and have an idea what to do, so I’ll start slow. 

My main question is I had a telephone call about my results with another of the doctors at the practice that lasted about 5 mins. They didn’t seem too concerned, but after looking at Dr. Google, I think I would like to get a heart calcium test done. I’m 44 and there is a history of heart disease in my family. 

Is this test covered by public health insurance (TKK)?