High cholesterol level

89 posts in this topic

also read something on cooking oils so you know which one to use when you cook.

Recently I've switched to using rice bran oil. While total oil should be reduced (it's still fat), I quite like this stuff. Some rave about some potential health benefits for hamsters, I like that it has a very high smoke point so is great for stir-frying and doesn't have a strong taste in itself.

Can get it from Asian stores, well, I can get it at the one in Leonrodstr. Munich. Isn't dear either.

My doctor told me my cholesterol level is high and I should cut down eating fat products. Has anyone else here also got high cholesterol? Have you followed a special diet or stopped completely eating fat products?

My mother has high blood pressure and, although her cholesterol isn't too high, was told by her doctor to try to reduce it further. She doesn't eat fatty, sugary or processed food. Instead she cooks from scratch (using olive oil, not butter or margerine) and eats lean meat (mainly poultry meat), plenty of vegetables, fruit and wholemeal grains. For breakfast, she eats home-made muesli made from rolled oats, mixed seeds and some dried fruit: this ensures that the only sugar in it is from any dried fruit she puts in.

katrina, they also recommend linseed oil and canola (although i've heard bad stories about it being rape seed oil in disguise, which is poisonous for humans)

My brother was using the rice bran one in NZ and it is hugely popular in Australasia. I just like that it gets really hot so the veggies don't go nasty - anything that gets me to eat more veg is a good thing. Having the pan and oil very hot means that things stay crisp and edible, soggy greasy stir-fries are grim, so rather on any health hype, I buy the stuff because it works as a product.

As for linseed, it gets baked into bread there (oh for a Vogel's Soy & Linseed!), think it does in the UK too and some add the seeds to muesli or the oil into smoothies.

Here's snopes on canola oil.

Excess protein is the cause of not just kidneystones but conditions like osteoporosis because protein interferes with the calcium uptake cycle.

Debatable. see

Bonjour JP.

Dietary protein: an essential nutrient for bone health.

J Am Coll Nutr. 2005 Dec;24(6 Suppl):526S-36S.

Besides, high cholesterol is only 1 risk factor for CHD. Neither does high cholesterol alone kill you, nor does low cholesterol alone prolong life.

got this email from my brother

"basically you have to cut back on saturated fat,that is processed food,butter and cheese etc

cut back to low fat meat such as chicken and fish.

drink more water with lemon it helps to dissolve fats in the blood.

especially if you drink as much water as you can before tea or coffee in the morning and get into the habit of it eventually your body will prepared loads of toxins and fat ready to be flushed out.otherwise your body is allways looking at where to store all then weird stuff that is in the modern diet.

you basically need to change your lifestyle gradually.

as long as you start to become aware it will be fine but we do have to be carefull as dad's family has a history of heart disease.

i have done a liver cleanse a few times which can really help as this is the organ that deals with all the levels of toxins in the blood etc."

interesting about water with lemon and drinking water befor tea and coffee.

Some facts about cholesterol:

The body produces 1000 to 1500mg per day. Daily intake from food is 500 to 800mg. Even if you don't eat any cholesterol containing food your cholesterol level can be too high. That may happen if your body doesn't control the cholesterol production correctly. There are a lot of studies showing that it is not possibly to reduce cholesterol by a special diet. For women the risk of getting a heart attack is constant at cholesterol levels between 160 and 240mg cholesterol. However, men having 240mg cholesterol in their blood facing a 50% higher risk of heart attacks compared to 200mg. Going to very low cholesterol concentrations is now alternative. Below 160mg the risk of suicide and accidents increases. This makes sense since cholesterol is necessary for the nerve system. 20% of the the brain is cholesterol! Since babies can't synthesise cholesterol baby food is sometimes enriched with cholesterol. Breast milk has enough cholesterol. So don't feed your babies soy milk.

It does't matter what we eat, eventaully we have to die.

Start the day with porridge made from the best oats you can find and water (never milk). Add a spoonful of honey, again as good a quality honey as you can find. Really good at reducing cholesterol and staving off hunger until lunchtime. I eat it every day since I was ill in hospital with pancreatitis last summer and feel a lot better on it. Shifted 8 kilos and cholesterol is down.

@ATL42

At least someone who shows some sense. 'Drinking water with lemon to disperse fat', 'Liver cleansing', where on earth do people get these weird ideas from.

People also do fasting to purge the body from waste products (Entschlacken).

However, nobody ever found waste products in the human body.

Some humans are waste. Even in that cases fasting would not help.

Cholesterol is cholesterol. There is no god cholesterol or bad cholesterol. Only two lipo proteids with different densities.

"you are what you eat" - If you eat pork you become a pig. If you eat chicken you become a hen.

If you eat nuts you go nuts.

Life is not that simple.

I'm fit, never eat meat, and have just been diagnosed with high-cholesterol.

Can anyone recommend a doctor who can advise on low-cholesterol fitness diets and/or medication?

Whooa Pike, latest info suggests that cholesterol may not be such the baddie as previously thought. However, people should still continue to watch their diets and get plenty of exercise. I think the latter is more important than the former.

latest info suggests that cholesterol may not be such the baddie as previously thought

Cheers Eurovol - couldn't point me to your sources could you?

Pike, I too am fit and eat well. My cholesterol was usually around 155, that was until around my 42nd BDay. Then it sky-rocketed and the Drs had no idea why. It went up to 227! The biggest thing I did was cut back on milk products and look at labels to see how much cholesterol is in some of the foods I eat. I also increased my cardio a bit. I got smart on Cholesterol. What Eurovol said could have some truth in it, I don't know as I've not seen anything. My Cholesterol is down to around 185 (Sept 2009). I only eat the egg whites anf not the yokes - you get used to it - truly! I also drink Reismilch (not bad actually) and Soja sometimes. I lift weights and eat six times-a-day, so the Soja thing is kinda scary. Best o' luck to ya!

I already posted this in the Goose Fat thread, but thought it might be useful in its own right. Long story short, I had a very high cholesterol level and started taking an OTC drug called TUIM back in 2004. My cholesterol level is now very stable and well under 200. It's a bit expensive, but at least in my case well worth it(my high cholesterol was causing fatty liver -- yeah, I would've thought it would be caused by my alcohol intake :P -- but it was the cholesterol and now my fatty liver is long gone).

Hope this helps.

PS: Just measured mine for the first time in a few months. 166 :) I can live with that. :)