Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Anyone up for visiting Prague?

14 posts in this topic

Lucky me! :lol:

I've got 4 days off this weekend and am planning on heading to Prague (to avoid the Berlin strike) and then hoping to hit the sedlec ossuary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_Church

if I have time. From there who knows!?!

Anyone interested in joining - you're welcome to PM.

Otherwise, I'm possibly planning on doing the wanderlust a few days next weekend too...

Hi,

I am going to Prague on 16-20 April.

You're welcome to join me if you want. I will be meeting a friend from London there. Maybe another 1-3 friends from other parts of the world if we manage to get our timing to match.

Jade

Rose,

Tentatively? It's wicked expensive there that weekend, and most places are booked up as its massively chockers right now...We finally got our place secured up yesterday, and I'm basically paying 100 Euro for two nights stay in a mixed grill ass box hostel dorm bunk bed.

If you can go the weekend after when they stop gouging people, I would imagine the city is still going to be the same.

Hi,

How were the trips to Prague?

I was wondering, can anyone tell me where I can change euro for Czech currency where the service fee is cheap?

I have been told it would be better to change in Prague, although I might not want to risk that. I will be arriving by train, and I hear there are forex bureaus at the station. How much should I bring along with me?

Any tips on accommodation, places to visit, and the best way to get around Prague?

Thanks

There are exchange counters at the station, but the spread is pretty weak. The better spreads are offered in the places in town. If you can get by, you can probably exchange a little bit at the counter to get you on the tram, and then change the rest once you get in the city (depends of course how much you want to change total, in which case it may not make much of a difference).

How much? Depends if your accomodations are charging you in Euro/Czech money/credit card, as that's probably your major expense for the few days.

If you're staying moderately central you can walk almost everywhere in Prague. the underground and tram system isn't that difficult to figure out and is pretty cheap.

hostelz.com is a decent website for hostels, and even if you don't use the site for making booking I found it's reviews to be some of the most accurate.

If you have a debit card you can use I'd trust the bank machines at the major banks more than the exchange+commission scams around the train station.

Hi Jade -

The trip was awesome - I took about a million pictures...

I stayed at Miss Sophie's hostel - it's medium priced (bring your own towel but the linen is included), close to everything (easy to get to from the main train station and the holesovice station) and has the best shower I've ever had in a hostel (no water saving shower here!).

http://www.miss-sophies.com/

is the place. They offer 24 hour lobby, the folks behind the counter do speak English - and offer great level of expertise on the area and outside the city sites. I highly recommend them.

Re exchanges - I traded at the train station - 200 euros - and then grabbed another 100 euros while I was there from the place recommended by the people behind the desk (a better rate than the train station folks!). No Matter what, go with either the bank or the bureaus - don't trade with the 'man on the street' who offers to trade with you (one guy in the room did that and lost 200 eur - they gave him HUNGARIAN money!!).

Re food - I brought my own food for the first few days - but the place across the street from the hostel mentioned above (Banditos) was great for breakfast and reasonably priced (breakfast for about 4 eur; dinner for about 10).

Vince - no amsterdam last weekend - you're right WAY too expensive. Wound up on a day trip to a place here in Germany. I am, however, off to DUBLIN this weekend (I'm loving the 4 day weekends I got this month!) and the guinness factory. Thank goodness for friends in that city - I'm staying with them in exchange for Beer...

I got back from my trip to Prague on Sunday. I had a great time - nice weather (for two days!) and good, cheap beer! But the reason I am dragging up this old thread is to share my experience for those who wish to go there.

First, change your currency in Prague. There are a lot of licensed money changers in the city, and they offer much better rates than in Berlin. Most do not charge a commission or handling fee. One of the best rates I saw was 24.5 CZK for 1 Euro.

I stayed at Sir Toby's in Holesovice. Its owned by the owner of Miss Sophie. Sir Toby's is a great hostel - friendly and helpful staff, clean, spotless showers and WC, and located near tram stops which line runs through most of the major tourist attractions. The hostel also accepts payment in Euro (24 CZK to 1 Euro). I have seen then offering change in CZK, but do not know if they will explicitly change money for you.

I bought a bunch of 18 CZK single trip tickets on arrival. The tickets are valid for 4-6 stops or 20 minute ride, whichever is further. But you can get to most of the main attractions in under 15 minutes from Sir Toby's. The tickets are sold at several convenience stores close to the tram stops. You can also rent day passes from Sir Toby's for 3 Euro per day; this pass is also valid for the funicular train that takes you up to the Viewing Tower. Otherwise, you need to buy a 26 CZK ticket for the ride on the funicular.

Again, thanks for the tips!

Interesting point...I stayed at ST's over Xmas, never thought about the parallel. It's quite the coincidence if the owners did chose those names, although the decor certainly doesn't remind me of an early british comedy skit. It is a hostel, after all.

Yeah i cant see anything on their website to say if the owners are german or not. hmm.