Copenhagen - bar and restaurant recommendations

33 posts in this topic

I am going to be in Copenhagen for the Microsoft IT Forum (15th - 19th November) and wondered if anyone has been and got any tips of places to go for a good meal and a pint in the city.

Or is anyone else going to be going to the Forum ? Could paint the town a subtle shade of scarlet together.

you can tell I'm going home. I thought of tobacco snuff when he said copenhagen. :blink: That's really bad. :D

Last time I was there there wasnt a hell of a lot to do apart from Roskilde (which is only once a year) and visit Christiania which is kind of a free commune where you can buy and smoke weed. Oh and they have their palace with changing of the guard and the little mermaid statue *yawn*.

Man you will need to stock up hard at Christiania for the MS Conference! (Is it going to be an actual technical one this time, or just microsoft advertising themselves to a captive audience and getting money for the privledge)? Last one I went to was a huge waste of time. It was all "microsoft is the best rah rah rah" Felt like a fucking amway thing or a televangelist.

Marka

Read point 4. Christiania is smelly and nasty, so perfect for Kza ;) but not for me.

It is also a lot less radical than it was there.

The Little Mermaid is a bit of a trek, so get the boat trip, it is quite good value at about 8€ max and you'll get to see it plus stunning views of the new opera house. Think also about getting a Copenhagen Card for 29€ if you are going to a lot of museums and want to use public transport.

I really liked the area around my hotel, very nice Scottish pub in Nyhavyn 67 (I think, could be 69) AND there is a Debenhams in Copenhagen! Beer costs about 7-8€ unless you go to the brewery.

More locals drink Tuborg than Carlsberg but if you like bitter, try Carlsberg Carl's as it is very tasty.

Should you see the sign "Bogeda", this doesn't mean a Spanish bar, it is just their local word for pub.

Look out for the Copenhagen Post English newspaper (link in other thread) it is usually free in the hotel foyer.

Enjoy it (and if you see a bottle of that vodka shot stuff don't laugh too loudly)!

Katrina

PS Is this being held in the old Navision HQ? Because that isn't central at all.

a tour of the carlsberg & tubourg brewery is well worth it, as far as i remember the tour itself is free, but what i do remember is that there is an unlimited free bar at the end ;)

Thanks for the tips but still waiting for some ideas on where to eat and drink. Not much of a smoker really. Couldn't give a rats-arse about seeing the mermaid. Getting stuffed and bladdered is more my recreational predeliction.

Says its being held at the Bella Center, which is direction airport but my hotel is pretty central. I am sure it wil be just another MS propaganda event but my company is sending me and I am only going for the Thurdsday night party and freebies.

Well the Nyhavyn has a lovely row of nice bars and places to eat. The best meal that I had was in the hotel restaurant of 71 Nyhavyn, cost about 40€ a head p.p. for 3 courses, top notch, beautiful service too. Did also go in a fish restaurant near there to eat lobster mmmmmm

Lots of fish and BACON.

Wine costs from 25€ a bottle so it can be cheaper to buy wine than beer when you are eating.

The Copenhagen Post has listings though Marka.

Katrina

Mmmm BACON! :)

Katrina, you been there many times? I'm thinking of going between 1-3 November since the flight is only €135.

@Kebab meister

Great place to visit ! I lived there for 10 years. Check out this site for more on what up there ( mostly in english) http://www.aok.dk/section/english. anything special you want to do...do try the local beer (micro breweries...go to Charlie's Bar...english owner and won pub of the year in 2002.

PM me if you have some questions I might be able to help you with.

Nov is off season, so alot of the hotels reduce their prices.

I did one of those on the bus of the bus city tours- was great way to get around. And the Tivoli Garden is a must- but not sure if open in Nov. Have to check my travel stuff.

Some of the hotels are still very pricey but I've managed to find a few reasonable ones.

Incidently, if anyone is off that week (1st Nov is a public holiday here) and wants to join me then let me know. I'm currently going on my tod!

The Salvation Army has a hostel/Hotel right on the Nuhavn Canal- forget the name, will try to look it up, and the rooms are very inexpensive. I stayed around the corner at the Best Western- as hostel was full, and only paid about 80 a night with great breakfast and internet and english television.

The Musuems are nice- if you are into to that.

I would definitely recommend a trip to Copenhagen and not just cause I had a fancy lobster dish WITH bacon. Its a wonderful city full of friendly people. Good site posted by Aprilfool. There's a medieval castle right outside of Copenhagen..it'll take you a good half a day though that and the national museum is worth a visit if your interested in the region's history. As Carm noted Tivoli is a must if its open...don't forget to check what concerts they have planned. Note: if your clausterphobic make sure to exit park before concert start time...I got stuck in a mad crush of people, literally at a standstill for 10 minutes. It was *almost* as bad as that H&M music video advert film crap they have playing in the theatres. Also take a boat tour - its cold though- and check out the number of jellies in the water. Ive never seen em that dense anywhere! Theres lots of good restaurants but don't overlook the hotdog stands. Get one fully loaded with fried onions and pickles :)

ps: try to get a locals opinion on their royal family, everyone I met volunteered that the Queens husband is a royal twat. Some funny chatter to be had. :lol:

Apparently the Tivoli starts around the 2nd/3rd week of November so I'm going to be a bit early for that.

Aprilfood, thanks for that link, it'll be really useful!

Can anything be worse than that H&M commercial? Arrrggghhh... scares me just thinking about it!! :)

don't overlook the hotdog stands. Get one fully loaded with fried onions and pickles

And again... BACON. It ain't a proper Danish hotdog unless its wrapped in bacon. ;)

There is a nice overview over the best beerplaces in Copenhagen Here.

I case you like ultra-hoppy beers like Imperial/Double IPAs - there might be a chance that the "North Bridge Extreme" is on at that time again in Nørrebro Bryghus. But even if that shouldn't be the case - that place is definitely worth a visit.

ps: try to get a locals opinion on their royal family, everyone I met volunteered that the Queens husband is a royal twat. Some funny chatter to be had.

Pretty much everyone in Denmark loves the royal family and loves the fact the they are as normal as a royal family can be. They are all excited about the new Crown prince.

@jml The Queens husband speaks funny Danish (he is a Frenchman) and is supposedly gay ;) It is rumoured that his second son is gay too :rolleyes:

Another link that might be useful to see whats up during the month is Copenhagen this week(silly name for a monthly over view, good info though) http://www.ctw.dk