Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The American's guide to living in Germany

101 posts in this topic

Tourists are notorious for being ignorant about where they are and what the local culture is, try going to Spain with the British. Actually it took me two visits to Spain to realise the Spanish for beer isn't beer!

Two classic quotes from a recent cruise to Alaska that my parents went on: One American women asked if the crew slept on board and another asked if they could use Dollars in Alaska! :lol:

When mentioning, for example, that you are visiting the capital of France for a weekend break, there is no need to clarify the point by always referring to Paris, France. Most people here will presume that Paris is in France rather some smallish community in Texas.

that is not a credit card machine. goes back to the posters point of not being able to pay with a Visa card.

Hence the word/caveat EC. It was implied, a mere 240 pixels further north, that McDonalds don't take cards of any kind, only cash.

Funny!

We were in Port-au-Prince, Haiti a few years ago on vacation. Near a large market and bus terminal, there is a huge metal rendition of Earth. Everything is in proportion until you get to Hait/DR. It's HUGE; probably 5 or 6 times (according to my faltering memory) as big as Florida.

almost like the poor mis-guided Texans..

Actually I didnt know until a few weeks back that Molly Malones does not accept EC card, but take Visa. Which I thought was a little strange.

You get a lot of pilots and flight crews staying at The Hilton around the corner popping into Mollys, who mightn't have an EC card or much cash on them but a Visa card, might be one reason for it. Doesn't explain why they don't take EC though.

Oh gentle jom, I am sure that your country (presumably England by your pig headedness) has a much more enlighted and cultured populous. If not there would be a phrase like "Brits abroad" or some such.

and dont think just coz you got a Maestro card (debit card) and see a Maestro sign on the shop door that you could actually pay there with it... they only take GERMAN Maestro cards ...sucks...(Maestro former Switch)

and to whoever said paying with an Visa card wouldnt be a prob at all...bet you never tried to do food shopping using your visa card, except of course if you shop at kaufhof, karstadt or such a place.

but even though visa is accepted in some places you are screwed with american express and you're really F$%:@ if you got a dinners club card

Yep your average american is a TWAT

There is one of those words TWAT Know what that means before you use it again American Boys and Girls...

My favourite story about Americans... I was standing in line at a Western Union once in Frankfurt and the American at the counter was trying to change his German Euros to Spanish Euro!!!

I rest my case brother...yep TWATS

Itsn't a bit pig-headed to just stand by a claim?

I don't know if its pig headed, but its certainly more fun than actually working.

@Dolfan,

Shhhhh... Don't let the germans hear you say that. I think they like to work...

For my part, I like Americans, I like germans, hell I like most poeple.

I do not however (not aimed at anyone in particular) like ignorant people.

What do you do if someone asks you for your address and telephone number, hand them a piece of paper wih it all written down?

Uh, yeah! DUH! It is called a business card. :rolleyes:

I dated an American girl who once asked me where abouts in England was Stockholm...bless, i'm sure she meant to say Stockport, then i would have been impressed that she had even heard of Stockport.

A Finnish friend of mine knew a socialogy American student, living in France, who didn't know the UK was an island...that's a bit scary.

@ nowandlainers

You come across as an idiot, and a little bit of a C. Just saying.

Well far from an Idiot or a Cunt but able to be quite a Bitch, when I have to be. I would never presume to trade insults with you as I am sure your intelligence is far superior; as you are able to at least insult people whom you do not know or know little of in such an educated way. Good luck to you.