Moving boxes / shipping boxes (Umzugskartons)

17 posts in this topic

If anyone wants to buy some, Ikea sells removal boxes (but not very strong). Alternatively, look for Umzugskartons in the yellow pages.

Went and got some boxes at Baumarkt (by 4004, tram 18/19). They have boxes that take 30kg, I think they were a couple of euros each.

There are people giving away ( for free ) cardboard boxes on the

Items for free section, the link is found at the bottom of of the Life in Munich area

I tried OBI's boxes before, and they were crap. Anything more weighty than a couple of paperback novels, and OBI's flimsy boxes literally exploded.

Any other ideas on where to get some decent quality boxes in Munich/Pasing, please? Preferably not IKEA, nothing against that place apart from it being miles away. Ta.

@ hodd - I just moved using several Obi boxes, the fancy kind with slits to slide tongues into. Great stuff, very sturdy and stable; try them out next time.

Hello there.

Need to findastore that sells boxes that you can put stuff in, am in the process of hipping som stuff back to the UK, not sure where to buy them from?

The size of the box needs to be big enough to fit a sports holdall/bag.

Cheers.

Topics merged by admin

Hello again, today I am going to go in search of these, are any of the stores listed above in Marienplatz, or is there a store in Marienplatz that sells the moving boxes?

It's the only shopping area (apart from OEZ) that I know.

Cheers.

A great place to get moving supplies is Zeitlager - check out their website: http://www.zeitlager.com/ It's even in English. The boxes are very well made and come in several sizes. There is also packing tape, bubble wrap etc.

Instead of starting a new thread, I'm latching on to this one. I was curious for those of you who have moved from the USA to Germany, what the best type of packing materials. Is it better to have strong cardboard boxes or totes. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I don't plan on taking a whole lot, but I do have some breakable items that I am worried about.

Kris

For those of you guys who are moving within Munich- There's also a local company called Turtlebox that rents sturdy, reusable plastic moving boxes for the same price as cardboard. (Kind of like Frogbox and those companies in Canada and the US.) They even drop them off at your place and pick them up from your new place once you've moved, which was great because I didn't have a car to pick up cardboard boxes with. :) I used their service when they were just starting out and they were really nice guys:) Definitely a good idea if you want to support a local sustainable company! Their website is here: http://turtle-box.de/

Amazon.de has several options for moving boxes that are cheap, sturdy, well reviewed, and have free delivery to your house!