What's got you flummoxed today?

7,348 posts in this topic

Why Can't they just get along!!! :blink:

I got a Cat for Valentines day- and then we got another cat two weeks ago and They both seem to be cuddlers- so they are fine cuddling one on each side of me but the moment they see each other the launch into a fight.

The one is this very Cute Fuzzy 10 week old baby and the older is 10 months old-

I thought they would be happy to have a friend!!!

Why on earth would anybody's small child give a toss which airline Daddy is flying with for his business trip? All children care about is that daddy makes it home again, preferably with present.

And any number of other bizarre adverts regularly seen around town...

I was watching "RuPaul's Drag Race" on TV and thinking, "What is the world coming to that people watch this crap?" Then, I realized I was watching this crap and I was the people I am afraid of/concerned about. So, I went to bed and watched American cartoons. Yeah, that's better.

okay, people, they just made the announcement that we landed in Munich (or anywhere in the world), and they politely ask you to remain seated and not to turn your handy on til we get to the gate! Why the f*ck are you standing up as we are still on the runway? I wish you type of people that have to check your important messages right away before we make the gate would realize- important people do not take calls, they have people for that! I wish you would all get banned from ever flying again!

To the lady in the row behind me, you did not have to be so impatient that you knocked me in the head with your HUGE OVERSIZED (that is a totally different topic too) suitcase as you pulled it out of the overhead compartment over me. You couldn not wait 1 minute til I was gone? the aisle was free? you had better access to the bag? And the dink in the same row as me, yes, I remained seated til the front door of the plane was open! Why, the aisle was full of your friends that have obviously never flown before either! you had the window seat, you were the last person on the plane and wanted to be the first one off! Then book in Business! Trying the step over me is, so, not, going to fly with me! I stood up- do not give me a nasty look! I had the aisle seat, that means I get to leave the row first! And sorry I did not move fast enough for you! But I had 5 people standing in the aisle (3 from the otherside of the aisle in our row and 2 from the row infront), if they do not move, I cannot move out. Pushing me, will not make the crew open the door faster or those in row 14 move faster, as we are in row 25, and I have totally no influence (amazing isn't that one?) on those other people!

I wish airline flight attendents could carry taser guns and taser everyone that does not comply with the rules! They are not the specific airline's rules, they are the rules of the airways! If you do not like them then please with all your importance, buy your own plane and fly it privately to congresses around the world! Or that those people that are so selfish on the flights would be banned from flying those airlines again, 3 bans and you are out! Left to take the train, ship or drive everywhere!

While sitting in the waiting room at the animal clinic yesterday, a man came in with a beautiful young English Bull Mastiff, maybe 80 kilos. The dog just glanced around the room at the other dogs, kitties, bunnies etc. and quietly settled down next to the man's feet with just a hand signal. No muzzle, which made for an interesting view as the dog yawned and gave a slight grunt as he lay down. I quickly realized, however, that I was the only one admiring this fine animal. The rest of the folks had very weird expressions on their faces, ranging from complete bewilderment to absolute horror.

One young boy shook loose of his mother's grasp, went over and asked the man what was wrong with the dog. With a smile, the man said that his dog just won't stop growing, so he's here for hormone shots to stop the dog from getting even bigger. I think just about everyone in the room believed him. I got dirty looks from most for laughing, but the man just winked at me and shook his head. Guess he's used to this sort of reaction to his lovely gentle giant.

Later when leaving the clinic, I saw him loading up the dog into a doggie trailer and pulling out another one even bigger than the first. Yes, this guy has a trailer hitched up to the back of his car which is basically two extremely large metal dog boxes with wheels. Was almost as big as a horse trailer, just not quite as tall. Now I'm starting to reconsider the whole idea of getting a really large dog. No way he'd fit easily or comfortably in either of our cars, and I think transporting him like in the photo might be frowned upon here in Germany. :blink:

post-18719-1244567825.jpg

Why do drivers insist on driving all the way right up to the front before squeezing themselves ahead of a car that didnt plan on stopping for them rather than safely glide into the huuuuge space I courteously left for them because I know the lanes are merging? Is it too much to expect to think just a wee bit? What is this "me me me first" attitude here?

And just WHY do some people leave a space big enough for a Bus to get into between them and the car ahead when stopping at the traffic lights?

So, some sort of migratory bird (the feathered variety) is having a hard time, becoming ever rarer, because it nests in old buildings, right, and these old buildings are being renovated and the cracks and holes in them being removed, right, so the birdies have nowhere to nest. But the question is this: Where did it nest before there were buildings everywhere?

Three years ago (could even be to the day) my mother decided (right after visiting us in Korea) to sell their house of 30 years (for way less money than it was worth) and move to New Orleans to be near my brother. My dad had a nervous breakdown. They moved back to Montana within a week.

It just happened again. She told my dad they are selling the house (right after visiting us in Germany) and moving to be near my aunt in Tacoma, WA. He is having another breakdown.

I can't believe it. Twice.

weird is the default setting for humans. Read your history books.

It is only the inclusion of additives and chemicals in our food and drink that have turned us all into conformist zombies.

People who are fat from the waist up and skinny from the waist down (and vice versa). Its kind of funny.

I'm not talking about pregnant women..

I just got busted outside the office for cycling the last 500m of my trip on the pavement - the Düss policeman was waiting by the bike racks, I said hello, and he says something in German...

-Umm Ich spreche kein Deutsch.

-Passport please

-What? I don't have it on me...

-You're not allowed to cycle on the pavement

(But everyone does...)

-Oh, sorry I didn't know, I won't do it again

-You didn't know? That's not good enough

-Sorry...

-You see a policeman and you just keep riding?

(He seemed to be madder about this than anything else actually)

-Er...

-Do you speak German?

-Er... ein bisschen

-Do you work here? (Points to bank)

-Yes...

-(Rant in German... something about... if you live here you have to understand German, 'blöd')

-Sorry, I don't under-

-(Ranty rant rant, at this moment another cyclist rides by on the pavement and gets stopped, Yes! I have a crime buddy)

We both get another earful, then I got a 'you can go'. Except that then I have to hang around for a few minutes locking my bike... weird.

Wah I don't like getting into trouble!

I am flummoxed by how few people seem to understand what "flummoxed" means.

flummox–verb (used with object) Informal.

to bewilder; confound; confuse.

A freelance English teacher, I have no work today or tomorrow. So I had vague thoughts about using today to research new career options. I'm flummoxed as to where to start.

leeza - yeah it was a bit of a stretch. I was confused as to why I was stopped and what the policeman thought was the point of telling me things if I didn't understand them. Was it for his benefit?

In other news I was flummoxed yesterday by a man coming to work with a Swiss ball and cutlery set... why?

Do Germans think that hanging their comforters and pillows out the window to gather pollen and dust is an alternative to putting them in the washing machine?

leeza - yeah it was a bit of a stretch. I was confused as to why I was stopped and what the policeman thought was the point of telling me things if I didn't understand them. Was it for his benefit?

In other news I was flummoxed yesterday by a man coming to work with a Swiss ball and cutlery set... why?

Yours I could at least kinda see something flommoxing about it.

But some people on this thread just go on all-out rants, for which we already have a lovely thread - The Vent.

Now THIS has got me truly flummoxed (I am Pas' other half and involved in the whole crazy thing as well.) It's in regards to negotiating to buy the old kitchen in our new flat.

Welllllllll. There is no negotiation. She asked me to call me to see if I'd changed my mind. I said are you dropping your price? So she said no. Still 900 euros.

So then I said she'll end up paying somebody else to take it out. To which she said, no, she found somebody who will charge 1 euro.

So then I asked her how much they will give her for the kitchen then. She said "nothing". So I said you'd rather pay somebody a euro than take 500? She said yes.

So as soon as she leaves on Saturday I'll put a sign on the door offering the removal guy 200 euros not to take it out. Never surrender it seems. And she obviously has more money than sense.

At 9:45 am today Cat paid for a pair of black pants at C&A with her EC card, €19.

At 14:05 pm today Cat used her EC card at an ATM to check her bank balance. The card was retained by the machine. Cat called the bank and was informed that the account had been closed on 5 June.

So why the hell could she use it at C&A without all sorts of alarms going off?

And why didn't the bank inform her that the account had been closed?