What's got you flummoxed today?

8,552 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, hooperski said:

Take a fucking chill pill. The hullabaloo is about the persecution of gays, just like Hitler did.

Are we talking about the same thing at all?

Soccer Football - FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Group E - Germany v Japan - Khalifa International Stadium, Doha, Qatar - November 23, 2022 German Interior Minister Nancy Faeser is seen wearing the OneLove armband REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach

She's protesting for LGBTQ-rights as a woman in a country where doing that is considered a crime.

I refer the learned lady to my previous statement that gays were persectued under Hitler, as they are in Qatar.

6 minutes ago, hooperski said:

I refer the learned lady to my previous statement that gays were persectued under Hitler, as they are in Qatar.

Where and when did you state that?

28 minutes ago, hooperski said:

Take a fucking chill pill. The hullabaloo is about the persecution of gays, just like Hitler did.

5 minutes ago, hooperski said:

So you repeatedly admit that you don't understand the statement.

Have a nice life.

Not the first time a host country has housed the games at a time of unfavourable publicity re human rights. Argentina 1978. At that time, students and trade unionists being thrown out of planes into the Atlantic, torture centres in Buenos Aires, babies being snatched from civiliian ( sometimes so-called left wing ) families and " given " to military families. 

Yeah, I remember that shit. And Argentina won it- nothing against the footballers - but it helped strengthen the junta's popularity- crushed only later after the Falklands/ Malvinas stuff in 1982.

Funniest moment for me in that world cup? Scottish fans' banner during their match against the Soviet Union. " Alcoholism versus Communism."😂

Edit: I had been living in Argentina just before the junta took over and moved to Brazil, where they had their own military dictatorship ( though I knew nothing much about it at the time.) 

In Brazil, I slept for a couple of nights in my sleeping bag  in a church  with the permission of the pastor where the pastor was a Beatles fan. One evening , I opened the church door and some military goons saw me and said " there is a curfew. If you step outside, we shoot."

3 minutes ago, john g. said:

Not the first time a host country has housed the games at a time of unfavourable publicity re human rights. Argentina 1978. At that time, students and trade unionists being thrown out of planes into the Atlantic, torture centres in Buenos Aires, babies being snatched from civiliian ( sometimes so-called left wing ) families and " given " to military families. 

Yeah, I remember that shit. And Argentina won it- nothing against the footballers - but it helped strengthen the junta's popularity- crushed only later after the Falklands/ Malvinas stuff in 1982.

Funniest moment for me in that world cup? Scottish fans' banner during their match against the Soviet Union. " Alcoholism versus Communism."😂

I highly recommend this week's "Last Week Tonight" with John Oliver.

6 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

So you repeatedly admit that you don't understand the statement.

Have a nice life.

I understand that she is for LGBTQ rights, and the Qataris find that offensive to their religion.

Hitler had the same views on homosexuality.

https://www.memecreator.org/static/images/memes/3582992.jpg

2 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

I highly recommend this week's "Last Week Tonight" with John Oliver.

Can you help with a link, please? I don't know who John Oliver is.

10 minutes ago, john g. said:

12 minutes ago, john g. said:

What's sobering is that of the 24 countries competing at the World Cup, same sex relations are outlawed in 8 of them:

Senegal - One to 5 years in prison; fine of 100,000 to 1,500,000 CFA (US$170 to $2,600).
Qatar - One to 3 years in prison; flogging; death penalty (Sharia law).
Iran - Sentences range from 31 lashes (for homosexual acts other than anal sex or thigh sex) to 100 lashes to death.
Saudi Arabia - According to some interpretations of Sharia, the death sentence may be handed down for certain homosexual acts. Other penalties may include 100 blows of the whip and banishment for 1 year.
Tunisia - Three years in prison.
Morocco - Six months to 3 years in prison; fines of between 120 and 1,000 dirhams (US$10 to $110).
Cameroon - Six months to 5 years in prison and a fine of CFA 20,000 to 200,000 (US$35 to $350).
Ghana - Up to 3 years in prison.

https://internap.hrw.org/features/features/lgbt_laws/

"At least 67 countries have national laws criminalizing same-sex relations between consenting adults. In addition, at least nine countries have national laws criminalizing forms of gender expression that target transgender and gender nonconforming people."

Wow! Brutal analysis! And now I know who John Oliver is.

And already looking at the next World Cup to be shared between Canada, USA and Mexico. Based on murder rates, watch out anyone going to the USA and Mexico for that. 

9 minutes ago, Eric7 said:

What's sobering is that of the 24 countries competing at the World Cup, same sex relations are outlawed in 8 of them:

Senegal - One to 5 years in prison; fine of 100,000 to 1,500,000 CFA (US$170 to $2,600).
Iran - Sentences range from 31 lashes (for homosexual acts other than anal sex or thigh sex) to 100 lashes to death.
Saudi Arabia - According to some interpretations of Sharia, the death sentence may be handed down for certain homosexual acts. Other penalties may include 100 blows of the whip and banishment for 1 year.
Morocco - Six months to 3 years in prison; fines of between 120 and 1,000 dirhams (US$10 to $110).
Cameroon - Six months to 5 years in prison and a fine of CFA 20,000 to 200,000 (US$35 to $350).

"At least 67 countries have national laws criminalizing same-sex relations between consenting adults. In addition, at least nine countries have national laws criminalizing forms of gender expression that target transgender and gender nonconforming people."

I used to be an English teacher as a foreign language. Saudi used to be popular for good money and ( according to a couple of well-travelled gay teachers I knew back then ) a good place for willing gay sex if you were careful where you were . 

And I had a " student " in London from Oman ( in the Government !!) who did a fair amount of " whoring " in London. 

Power, money, hypocrisy : spring to mind.

22 minutes ago, Eric7 said:

In fact, I wonder if my old Headmaster at school in England got pleasure at giving me six of the best when I was 12 and left the school at lunch time to go and buy fish and chips😡

And who the prefect was for snitching on me😡. 

Things you don't forget.

Edit: remembering:

https://youtu.be/7iITFrcNLcA

Wanted to buy an advent crown with 4 candles in nearby flower shops. They charge like €44-52. Ouch. Then, I went to a garten center and bought a very similar one for €15. It’s only on the table for 1 month after all. 

That Rishi Sunak, Elon Musk and King Charles III are nominees for Time magazine's "Person of the Year" award.

16 hours ago, hooperski said:

That Rishi Sunak, Elon Musk and King Charles III are nominees for Time magazine's "Person of the Year" award.

Person of the Year (called Man of the Year or Woman of the Year until 1999)[1] is an annual issue of the United States news magazine and website Time featuring a person, a group, an idea, or an object that "for better or for worse ... has done the most to influence the events of the year"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year

Volodymyr Zelensky is also nominated and I assume he will win quite easily