What's got you flummoxed today?

8,426 posts in this topic

SAT1 showed an item in their program AKTE24. It was about the Munich rental market. A lady offered a room in her house in Fürstenried West (city limit). It was in the basement with little light. 13 m2 for €550 cold. All kinds of rumble still in there. Registration possible, but no name on house-door. Usage of washing machine once a week, clean stairs once a week, mow the lawn twice per month (yes). Preferably not present during the weekend. The reporter with hidden camera asked if the price can be lowered since it’s very high per m2. Lady said no. Boyfriend left her and she can’t afford the house by herself. Next day price was lowered to €510 (€39 per m2) and was taken by a guy.

45 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Usage of washing machine once a week, clean stairs once a week, mow the lawn twice per month (yes). Preferably not present during the weekend. 

This sounds really promising... landlady from hell ? Hope he turns out to be a professional rent boy doing loud stuff down in the dungeon. 

Just checked out a 3-star hotel in Cyprus on booking.com. It's €240 for 6 nights incl. breakfast, so €40 per night. When I apply a filter indicating my budget is €50-100 per night, they increased the same offer to €312 incl. breakfast. It's like: "Why would I pay less if you can pay more?"

2 minutes ago, OloviaF said:

It's like: "Why would I pay less if you can pay more?"

These guys of Booking.com are very resourceful. Also, messages like “5 users are watching this offer right now”. It also depends on what time of the day you are searching. If you search again the next day without deleting your cookies, then you’re also in for a surprise. Prices differ again if you use a different machine.

On 6/10/2022, 4:02:28, LukeSkywalker said:

These guys of Booking.com are very resourceful. Also, messages like “5 users are watching this offer right now”. It also depends on what time of the day you are searching. If you search again the next day without deleting your cookies, then you’re also in for a surprise. Prices differ again if you use a different machine.

I knew a guy who owned a hotel.  He had 30+ rooms but would only make 3 available on booking, 3 on HRS etc.  That way, it will always say "only 3 rooms left at this price".  If 2 or 3 rooms got sold, he'd put more in.  He'd also raise his rates for trade shows about a year in advance so if you are planning to go to one, book early and you may catch them before they raise the prices.  Another thing to do, before you book on booking, call and ask.  They are not supposed to but some will give you a better deal if you book directly.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-62002088

Not much info here. So what happened when this Tory geezer got drunk last night?

This is a non-political statement by me. People, even powerful people of all political persuasions , get drunk. And hopefully regret the next day.

I don't know this bloke from Adam but he resigned- so some old-fashioned honour there, I grant you.

44 minutes ago, john g. said:

Not much info here. So what happened when this Tory geezer got drunk last night?

Well, the Grauniad suggests

"following reports that he drunkenly groped two men at a private club."

So, there is that...

And back in 2017, unwanted advances to a rower. He offered to resign from the whip for that.

I know it's Fox News but the left wing Norwegian feminist facing jail time because of her comments about biological reality? Is this really happening?

39 minutes ago, john g. said:

I know it's Fox News but the left wing Norwegian feminist facing jail time because of her comments about biological reality? Is this really happening?

Her comments were apparently that this transwoman:  Christine Marie, 33, is called a man by opponents who try to put her on the trans debate | FriFagbevegelse.no  is a man and apparently that is considered hate speech in Norway.

Then Norway is a fucked up place. Not the only place. 

No problem with a vicious mugger being locked up for three years. Do you/ we see the difference?

This is a test of the newly extended law on hate speech.   The particular tweets were slightly more that just saying he is a man, but I would have thought still nothing near hate speech.   They still have the word "insult" in their law, which has been removed from similar UK legislation.  Anyway, will be interesting to see the outcome, and if she actually gets charged with anything.

Her central point seems to be about how men cannot choose to take on aspects of femininity which are exclusively understood as women's attributes eg. become mothers or lesbians, regardless of their gender preference.

I find it a confusing world of lives, language, meaning and nuance, but I do know a dude who had a wife and a son and decided he was really a woman.

He began to identify as a woman, but stayed married to his wife and his teenage son simply said he now had two mums, which was all the same to him. For the two years they were here that seemed fine. I don't know what happened as more time went on. 

My impression is that this exact situation would be offensive to this Norwegian feminist, because the dude(tte) took on the female gender, but also the title of mother, and the fact of being 'lesbian' if a label is required, because she still loved her wife. 

Although I get that women's rights are hard fought and hard won, and not a thing to let slide because of a new understanding of gender dysphoria and the uncertainty of gender identity suffered by some people (and it must be real suffering, I cannot imagine being seriously unable to function within the gender I have the physical attributes of) equally, does that necessarily lead to the need to draw wagons around femininity against the onslaught of trans people? This appears to be what she is suggesting, if I've followed her thinking correctly.

There are areas in which I agree. Women's sport is an arena where having been born a dude means it is mostly not equitable to compete as a dudette later in life. 

However her nullifying the life which our acquaintance carved out for herself as being invalid seems offensive and unnecessary. 

Or maybe I have completely misunderstood. I am certainly flummoxed by it, remembering the thread rules :)

4 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Anyway, will be interesting to see the outcome, and if she actually gets charged with anything.

Indeedy.

3 hours ago, kiplette said:

He began to identify as a woman, but stayed married to his wife and his teenage son simply said he now had two mums...

Think I ll put this to my husband. Might bring him out of the closet.

3 hours ago, kiplette said:

It was really hot when I left Crete on Friday, optimista. Dunno about the cause of this man's death but lying around in the sun there may be alright for youngsters but dangerous anyway. Skin cancer long term.

We avoid lying in the sun there these days. Jump into the water - maybe even wearing a hat - and get the hell into the shade then. You get a tan if you want one anyway just by walking to the minimarket to buy milk.

16 hours ago, kiplette said:

I find it a confusing world of lives, language, meaning and nuance, but I do know a dude who had a wife and a son and decided he was really a woman.

Her central point seems to be about how men cannot choose to take on aspects of femininity which are exclusively understood as women's attributes eg. become mothers or lesbians, regardless of their gender preference.

My impression is that this exact situation would be offensive to this Norwegian feminist, because the dude(tte) took on the female gender, but also the title of mother, and the fact of being 'lesbian' if a label is required, because she still loved her wife. 

My goodness. Gatekeepers are pretty elitist.
I happen to know a transwoman who's happily married to a cis-woman. They both consider themselves lesbians. How else could they be defined? Do we all have to submit to being defined by others?

Can't we all just get along?

This brings me back to atypical. Which attracted much flak a while ago.

It is ridiculous not to define a man as a man, a woman as a woman or gay as gay. But it gets complicated too, as you point out. Can t we all get along is a bit of a non sequitur. Gender and by extension sexual orientation is unavoidably the number one defining factor when we describe someone. How ridiculous to have to avoid mentioning gender for fear of offense. 

This brings me back to atypical. Which attracted much flak a while ago.

It is ridiculous not to define a man as a man, a woman as a woman or gay as gay. But it gets complicated too, as you point out. Can t we all get along is a bit of a non sequitur. Gender and by extension sexual orientation is unavoidably the number one defining factor when we describe someone. How ridiculous to have to avoid mentioning gender for fear of offense.