What's got you flummoxed today?

8,552 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, tor said:

Where is all the oil? :/ 

It's at somebody's house :( I noticed it too today when I went shopping.  They only had some fancy pants extra super double virgin olive oil for like 9,99 a bottle.  

20 minutes ago, LeonG said:

It's at somebody's house :( I noticed it too today when I went shopping.  They only had some fancy pants extra super double virgin olive oil for like 9,99 a bottle.

Same here.  Especially sunflower oil and loo paper.  I guess there are substitutes?

35 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I thought only sunflower oil. Have rapeseed oil myself. 

20 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Same here.  And loo paper too.

Oh no, not again.

Today, the Russian Football Association announced that they want to organize the European Championships in 2028 or 2032. Hmm.

On 12/9/2021, 1:30:11, LeonG said:

So an update on the neighbour A vs. neighbour B.  I saw neighbour A walk past my kitchen window this morning.  She gave me a big wide smile.  I'm glad I'm not in her bad books.  Neighbour B seems to have thrown in the towel.  Seen her today smoking out her kitchen window.  Asked her if she went to the court, got a beratungsschein etc. and she said no, she's not going to do anything, just follow her orders.  I reminded her that she's already not following orders by being in her kitchen.  Still no blinds on it.  She had nothing to say to that.  Well, except she's now also gotten a warning from the court to obey the 22-6 quiet hours.  I offered to take her to court the other day and she said no, had to wash her hair.  IMO she is not getting the severity of the situation and doesn't have her priorities straight but whatever, at least I tried to help.  If she's lucky, neighbour A does not know how far 5m is or that it also applies to indoors and will not bother report her for it.  

So I guess it's time for an update on my neighbours A and B.  We can call this one the burning bush because yeah, that happened.  Obligatory flummox: this whole soap opera.

So things have been pretty quiet in the past months.  After the police visit and restraining order in the beginning of December, there was a reminder to also respect the quiet hours.  Then nothing until a month ago, 3 bailiffs showed up at neighbour B's house to remind her to respect the restraining order because neighbour A had complained that neighbour B was outside her door smoking when she walked past her house.  So ok, neighbour B should know (because I've told her) that because of the 5m distance that she has to keep from neighbour A's house ,set by the restraining order she chose not to fight, she is not actually allowed to use her front door and she could have smoked at the back.  However, neighbour A also chooses to walk past neighbour B's house.  She doesn't have to.  Anyway, the bailiffs told neighbour B not to hang out by her front door nor to hang out on her patio although I believe that her patio is actually outside the 5m range.

Now to the burning bush.  On Monday, neighbour B came over to complain about her oven being broken and I offered to take a look.  It turned out that the oven was not broken, just the light.  Neighbor B was as usually playing loud music and dancing on the patio, enjoying her freedom as neighbour A is at work.  I left there around 11 am.  Back at my house, shortly before 1 pm, I hear some crackling.  Looked out the window wondering what it might be and saw nothing.  Somewhat later, neighbour B comes over to tell me there was a fire.  I went to the back to see and there was the fire department, police, nosy neighbours etc.

Neighbour B said she was in her house when somebody called her name.  She went out, saw the fire, grabbed a bucket of water and put most of it out.  Then the fire department came and finished it off.  She said that before I came out, neighbour A was outside, turned out she wasn't at work after all and she was cheerfully dancing around, taking pictures and offering information to the police.  And a bit later when the fire dept. and police were gone, neighbour B's daughter showed up because neighbour A had texted her and told her that neighbour B tried to burn down the neighbourhood and the daughter seemed about ready to grab her mom and take her to a mental hospital.  Neighbour B said to that.. maybe somebody needs to go there but it's not me.

As for what burned, it was a panel of privacy fence interlocked with a bamboo plant.  Some old furniture they had put out to throw away also got scorched.  There is a wooden shed very close as well but remained unharmed.

As to how the fire started.. well, the police detectives who visited neighbour B yesterday seem to think that she might have accidentally flicked a cigarette at it so at least they don't think they set it on purpose.  However, I find it interesting that it's perfect timing for neighbour A as her restraining order expires next week and now she has the perfect reason to extend, heck, she might even try to beef it up and order the neighbours to move.  Also, she works full time but that particular day, she happened to be home and become aware of the fire early enough to get pictures for her evidence.

Also a tidbit of unrelated info.. neighbour B told me about a chat she had with the man who lives on the other side of neighbour A.  He said that she called the cops on him for having wild sex.  She must have said somebody was being killed in there because they broke down the door.  With our wall thickness, she could have just asked them through the wall if they were ok or needed an ambulance.

:lol:

1 hour ago, LeonG said:

However, I find it interesting that it's perfect timing for neighbour A as her restraining order expires next week and now she has the perfect reason to extend, heck, she might even try to beef it up and order the neighbours to move.  Also, she works full time but that particular day, she happened to be home and become aware of the fire early enough to get pictures for her evidence.

Absolutely.  Sherlock Leon, I think your insider knowledge of this case gives you an advantage over the local plods and 

1 hour ago, LeonG said:

accidentally flicked a cigarette at it

is not the answer here.

It's a great story. You could write a book...your neighbours are all bonkers. Thank goodness you don't have a party wall with neighbour A. Although neighbour B sounds like a nightmare with her loud music on the patio. The police coming to the wild sex is brilliant.

Also flummoxed, obviously :)

10 minutes ago, kiplette said:

It's a great story. You could write a book...your neighbours are all bonkers. Thank goodness you don't have a party wall with neighbour A. Although neighbour B sounds like a nightmare with her loud music on the patio.

I am so happy I don't share a wall with either one of them.  There is one house between me and neighbour B and I swear sometimes I can still hear her music through that house.  The guy who lives in it is retired and quiet as a mouse.

8 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Dear god. Please create a cricket thread if there isn't one already.

Thanks.

No time! The score has just got worse!😂

I don’t know all too much about dog behaviour though when you know that three remote homes in the forest all have well trained guard dogs and they unusually bark constantly for 5 hours in the night, something might be amiss.  

Of course I’m not one to waste police time though I rang our local station to explain the remote location and that trained guard dogs may well be raising an alarm. No, not bothered. It’s a bit back of beyond here though I know the police do drive around at night as there have been a few burglaries recently. 

Thanks to a local FB forum, two families have been contacted and they are fine. Still hoping all is well with the other family. 

On my Swedish telly tonight, they are showing the third Bill and Ted adventure. The description: two teenage boys had to time travel to save the university...

On 24/03/2022, 18:22:32, fraufruit said:

Dear god. Please create a cricket thread if there isn't one already.

Eh?

What's wrong with two cricket teams playing against each other over five days (with lunch and tea breaks included each day) and then declaring the match a draw?

Apart from everything.

On 3/25/2022, 8:51:03, emkay said:

homes in the forest all have well trained guard dogs and they unusually bark constantly for 5 hours in the night, something might be amiss.

Those dogs aren't well-trained.