What's got you flummoxed today?

8,359 posts in this topic

Not really. Just surprised how fashionable it seems to be.  

You are not going to get all defensive I hope.

14 minutes ago, optimista said:

Just surprised how fashionable it seems to be

I don't really think the number of gay kids has changed that much, what has changed is that there are less bigoted assholes around these days and so it's easier to acknowledge without fear of condemnation.

I have to say, I would have posted a similar thing to your original post in the 'what makes me happy' thread not the 'flummoxed' one.

Maybe she could ask her gay husband how "fashionable" it was when he was growing up.

1 hour ago, pappnase said:

I don't really think the number of gay kids has changed that much, what has changed is that there are less bigoted assholes around these days and so it's easier to acknowledge without fear of condemnation.

I have to say, I would have posted a similar thing to your original post in the 'what makes me happy' thread not the 'flummoxed' one.

But the assholes are still there - a few years ago, a classmate of a close friend's son committed suicide. Reason: Being gay - which was well accepted by everyone at school, among his friends etc., but not by his own bloody family!
There was a huge, well-attended funeral service from his school.

1 hour ago, optimista said:

Fashionable...because being gay is like choosing a pair of shoes that you can discard when the season is over. Fashionable...because it is something LGBTQ people put on and take off like yesterday's ready-to-wear. Fashionable...because you can often get killed over your choice of jeans or your penchant for pullovers. Fashionable...because people would choose to be LGBTQ because being part of one of the most hated communities in the world is so very, very cool that people would choose it if given the choice.

You know what? I don't think your husband is gay. I think he has figured out exactly who you are and is treating you accordingly. Telling any gay person that being gay is a fashion is like telling a black person that their skin is "in" this season. How do you fucking dare? And then to put the blame of your offensiveness on me by trying to frame my justifiable ire as defensiveness is the depth of your stupidity. 

You are a terrible human being. Live the life you deserve. 

3 hours ago, optimista said:

When you tell people your child is gay... and they say 'mine too'. The flood gates seem to have come unhinged.

3 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Care to elaborate? 

2 hours ago, optimista said:

But *I am*.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Sannerl said:

But the assholes are still there

Indeed they are Sannerl, and that is something which flummoxes me. How can anyone be in the least concerned about who or what someone else finds sexy? It really puzzles me.

23 minutes ago, pappnase said:

How can anyone be in the least concerned about who or what someone else finds sexy?

I agree with this unless it is an adult who finds children sexy, of course.

Please explain, folks. Do educate me. I have a kid and a husband who are atypical.  I d love a bit if insight. 

4 minutes ago, optimista said:

Please explain, folks. Do educate me. I have a kid and a husband who are atypical.  I d love a bit if insight. 

I don't think you were referring to me but I just edited and clarified my post.

What do you mean by "atypical"?

Normally when people find themselves surrounded by atypical people, they are the atypical one.

4 minutes ago, optimista said:

Gay.

I was afraid of that and it isn't atypical. It is normal.

You need to ask yourself why you choose to stay with a gay man. I mean, you must be sexually frustrated at the very least and he is a liar. Then again, you could come to some kind of honest agreement.

The most important thing is that you are more respectful of your daughter and who she is. It doesn't seem like she has had a very stable upbringing based on your posts over the years.

Do you ever want to be happy?

Typical and normal are not the same. Typical or atypical is not judgmental in my book. Which is why I said atypical. The human race is typically heterosexual. Surely. 

I do not consider homosexuality to be abnormal. You (and others) seem to assume I do. It is a feature. A minority of the population is gay. So atypical.

I am not with hubby. I am financially trapped. Complicated.

Kid has both parents in one household. I don t see what makes you think she has had an unstable life. Do i also read that I am not respectful of my daughter ? 

More flummoxation.

Edit... @ BAB. Sorry about your loss. 

Of course my lo is independent. No question.

18 minutes ago, optimista said:

Why would i be booed for expressing flummoxation ?

No not for being flummoxed, that can happen to anyone. Rather I would boo you for thinking that sexuality is 'fashionable'. @AlexTr expressed it very clearly.

Similarly I would explicitly call you out for describing being LGBT as 'atypical', that is really an unpleasant choice of words and you would be best served by keeping such attitudes to yourself.

What word would you like me to use to describe a minority feature?

Are you reading my attitude wrongly ?